Thread: Stock Photography Enquiry

Default Stock Photography Enquiry

Hi all,

I'm considering submitting my images for stock photography / image bank. I have a few basic question and hope that some of you can help.

1) Rights Managed (RM) vs Rights Free (RF). Which should I consider?
    If I submit my images to RF will it contradict with my submission to other RM site & also my current work with ad agencies and editorial publishers?

2) A quick search from Google shows the most popular are Getty Images, Corbis, ShutterStock, Alamy & istockphoto. Some have higher criteria/standard for photo submission than others, so through your experience, care to share which one to consider or to avoid?

Your input will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Stock Photography Enquiry

Quote Originally Posted by JLee
    Hi all,

I'm considering submitting my images for stock photography / image bank. I have a few basic question and hope that some of you can help.

1) Rights Managed (RM) vs Rights Free (RF). Which should I consider?
    If I submit my images to RF will it contradict with my submission to other RM site & also my current work with ad agencies and editorial publishers?

2) A quick search from Google shows the most popular are Getty Images, Corbis, ShutterStock, Alamy & istockphoto. Some have higher criteria/standard for photo submission than others, so through your experience, care to share which one to consider or to avoid?

Your input will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Hey, im doing a bit of stock photography and i mostly use RF (royalty free), all the RF sites can be used with the same pics, the biggest and best probably are:

ShutterStock
    iStock
    Fotolia
    Dreamstime
    CanStock
    123 Royalty Free
    Big Stock

iStock is probably the most strictist and you will have to have really good pictures to be accepetd, the others arnt as strict but ShutterStock is becoming stricter. ShutterStock probably have the fastest review times as do iStock, the rest can take a while. My suggestion would be to start with ShutterStock and Dreamstime and see how well you get on. Each different stock site allows a different number of uploads per day and different ways of uploading, I personally prefer shutterstock for the ability to upload many files at once and submit them all at once aslo have unlimited number of submitions per day, will Dreamstime you can upload 10 at once but then have to submit each one individually, and can only upload 100 images per day, iStock have to upload and submit individually and are limited to 10 uploads a day.

But be prepared, if you are serious about sticking with stock, it has the ability to take up alot of time, for example keywording uploading and submiting say 100 images from a days shoot could take basically around 4 hours on the computer, depending on internet speed etc etc

Hope this helps, and good luck in Stock!

Elliot