Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Data Recovery

Default Re: Help - Data Recovery

yah I agree, I don't think formatting C will also format D. the fact that you can still see D means there is a partition. just that something is screwed with the partition header because it is not showing the file system, and hence your OS cannot access it.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    yah I agree, I don't think formatting C will also format D. the fact that you can still see D means there is a partition. just that something is screwed with the partition header because it is not showing the file system, and hence your OS cannot access it.
    The possibility is that prior to formatting of my C drive, the C drive is a primary partition while the D drive is a logical drive, and not primary partition.

Therefore, when you format the C drive which is the primary partition, it will also affect or format the D drive because it's a logical drive. Only if the D drive is also a primary partition, then it will not be affected.

So now what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by USM
    The possibility is that prior to formatting of my C drive, the C drive is a primary partition while the D drive is a logical drive, and not primary partition.

Therefore, when you format the C drive which is the primary partition, it will also affect or format the D drive because it's a logical drive. Only if the D drive is also a primary partition, then it will not be affected.

So now what should I do?
    technically, shouldn't be a problem... unless u prior to format, u did a partition delete (highly possible if u use a winxp disc to bootup & install... the commands is rather confusing on the blue screen of DEATH.. ) u might mistake format with the partition thingy...

anyway, if u have deleted the partition, only way to retrieve, or few ways is, to retrieve via repair of the partition, but you might have to redo your windows installation again... and you cannot do retrieval on a boothdd... another way is via raw files retrieval, or by header... which takes about 1 night for a computer to scan all the files in the hdd, then you have to go name by name to check, then move them to another hdd... rather tedious job. some automation process may not do the job...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

So now what should I do?

I don't know. I still don't think your partition is destroyed. well did you check your PM?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    mayb u can try partition magic to recover the partition header
    from my experience, partition magic make the situation worse
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

So now what should I do?
    Formatting your primary partition will not affect the logical drive.

Did you try removing your HD again and putting it back into a external enclosure and mounting it on another PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    from my experience, partition magic make the situation worse
    tats for test mah... see if the partition is damage or not... hehe... eh u use which 1?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12