Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An open note to all

Default An open note to all

Hello Fellow Clubsnappers...

I write this with a really heavy heart.

First off, please don't look at this thread as one that is being posted by a moderator, but please, look upon it as someone who is also a fellow Clubsnap member.

Of late, tempers have been flaring and snide remarks/words have been exchanged and well, it has made things a tad bit edgy.

Things that are said, maybe out of careless-ness or jest, or even intentional, and these words have caused some sort of ill will towards the involved parties.

Anyhow, i am not here to tell anyone how to comment. It's more of a note to beseech each and everyone to listen to the voice of reason and let common sense prevail. Take a deep breath. Calm down first. We know that things that are said in the heat of the moment can get pretty unpleasant...

We are all human and have opposable thumbs and well, i can honestly say not everyone can get alot but lets all try to be more gracious when it comes to giving comments or receiving critiques.

Here's a quote i would like to share;
    Just because you have a brain like a hammer, doesn't mean you need to treat everyone else like a nail.
    We all have our own way of expressing ourselves, so lets make room for everyone.

But remember please, try not to be over sensitive when receiving critiques and at the same time, be more gracious (but nobody ever said that we should/must sugar-coat our constructive comments) when giving comments. Of course, there will be instances when you know you are right but then again, if the other party is adamant about it, then well, we know there is not much anyone else can do to change his mind.

Once more, this is an open note to each and every single one of us in this forum and not member specific.

Thank you.

Warmest of Regards;
    Wolfgang

PS: Whoever can tell me where the quote appears in gets a free drink at the next SEED. First correct answer posted gets the beverage of his/her choice @ the foodcourt.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 12th November 2002 at 05:12 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

* togu pretend he didn't know wolf is a moderator...

I second the comments by Wolf.

A resounding AYE!

Honestly Wolfus, don't bother. It is a lost cause you're fighting here, much like many things in this forum.

Originally posted by YSLee
    Honestly Wolfus, don't bother. It is a lost cause you're fighting here, much like many things in this forum.
    If everyone think like you, then it is a lost cause!

It all abt how one will react to certain things. Will he let rage, emotion etc etc take over? Well... it just take a little effort.....

Originally posted by Bluestrike
    It all abt how one will react to certain things. Will he let rage, emotion etc etc take over? Well... it just take a little effort.....
    wow words of wisdom from Bluestrike!!!

must buy 4D... someone take screencap and archive this please!!!

hmm.... was the quote from Abraham Howard Maslow?

Well, prove me wrong then. Prove me wrong.

Ok, I'm the guy directly invloved in that incident that caused the start of this thread.

Let me begin by saying where I came from. The guy who posted his images invited comments, so that's what he got from me. My honest comments and that's it. I don't even care if he listens to them or not, its not my responsibility anymore. I will also like to stress that during the initial discussion, I did not even once made my point in an undesirable manner. I even pointed out how he could check for the shortcoming even though it was pretty obvious to me. What did I get in the end? I got called a elitist for voicing my comments which in the first place, I was invited to do so. Go figure.

Then I'm being accused of not hearing comments from others when my way of commenting was challenged, which I did not appreciate a wee bit. That's because he invited comments without really having saying what his tolerance for comments was. Then I'm being penalised for that. Think its fair for me? Why do I even comtemplate spending more time commenting on images anymore if this is the way people with honest comments are going to be treated. I repeat, at no juncture was I presenting my comments in an undesirable manner. Read my posts again if you have doubts.

I definitely won't "tailor made" my comments to each and everyone out there just because they could take constructive comments gracefully. Its silly.

This would be my last post on CS. Have a nice life.

Originally posted by Bluestrike

If everyone think like you, then it is a lost cause!

wah .... di di .... well done for once! hehehe patz patz

Kit, relax man.... i don't think this thread was addressed to you, so don't take it so personally. what Wolfgang is lamenting (i think) is that there seems to be a growing trend of antagonism and curt remarks and flames going on, and trust me, yours is not the only so-called "incident".

i wanna add this - CS is a open-for-all discussion pool for photography, either to learn from each other, or to meet like-minded peple, so let's all open our minds and exercise our shutter trigger fingers. why get riled up when taking photos is so much more fun and satisfying?

Sentosa anyone?

Blog Entries

Kit,

Please don't jump to the conclusion that this thread is targetting you - far from it as there are other catalysts that drove Wolfgang to create this thread.

For all that are reading this, please just take a deep breath and relax!

ClubSNAP (and most other forums) are open to all and sundry, and there will always, always be a myriad of misunderstandings, differences of opinion, misunderstood statements etc.

We don't have a magic pill, potion or elixir that can immediately elevate all member's posting to become elucidated pieces of prose or poetry that everyone loves and no one disagrees to - what every member puts down is HIS/HER own interpretation of things.

We cannot limit what a member can put down (nor do we want to do that otherwise all the Mods will never have a life ) - all we ask is for members to be civil and as respectful as you would be in real life.

Above all else, we are here to share our passion and experiences about photography.

Peace be to all

hey Kit

I do agree that when u first said that the horizon was slanted - there is really nothing wrong with your statement. Then later someone else said that its a good overall effort and one should not get so sticky about whether the horizon is slanted or not.

Actually there's nothing wrong with both of the abovementioned comments. Things just got uglier after that because everyone has their perceptions about how things should be said.

I think if you had said that the it was overall a good effort although the horizon was slanted (which shouldn't be the case if one were to go strictly by the book) - then maybe the response towards you would not be so negative.

At the end of this, I don't think anybody meant any harm in what they said and its best that we do not get uptight about it.
    Last edited by lavenderlilz; 12th November 2002 at 05:59 PM.

Sentosa anyone?

Above all else, we are here to share our passion and experiences about photography.

At the end of this, I don't think anybody meant any harm in what they said and its best that we do not get uptight about it.

Let's go to Sentosa this sunday and take some nice shots. That's all it matters...

hmm..just chill guys. i don't think anyone's out to insult anyone...jst differing comments. everyone has his own style, live and let live.

its not a life and death thing though emotions maybe running high amongst all parties involved.

chill guys.

Originally posted by Kit
    Ok, I'm the guy directly invloved in that incident that caused the start of this thread.

Let me begin by saying where I came from. The guy who posted his images invited comments, so that's what he got from me. My honest comments and that's it. I don't even care if he listens to them or not, its not my responsibility anymore. I will also like to stress that during the initial discussion, I did not even once made my point in an undesirable manner. I even pointed out how he could check for the shortcoming even though it was pretty obvious to me. What did I get in the end? I got called a elitist for voicing my comments which in the first place, I was invited to do so. Go figure.

Then I'm being accused of not hearing comments from others when my way of commenting was challenged, which I did not appreciate a wee bit. That's because he invited comments without really having saying what his tolerance for comments was. Then I'm being penalised for that. Think its fair for me? Why do I even comtemplate spending more time commenting on images anymore if this is the way people with honest comments are going to be treated. I repeat, at no juncture was I presenting my comments in an undesirable manner. Read my posts again if you have doubts.

I definitely won't "tailor made" my comments to each and everyone out there just because they could take constructive comments gracefully. Its silly.

This would be my last post on CS. Have a nice life.
    I'm sorry it has to be this way... But like i said... some things were said in a moment and the other party involved has apologised... And this post isn't even targetted at you, or anyone to start with. It's just a general trend that has been on going where arguments have been flaring up all over and i thought a timely reminder was due, to myself and all the members at large...

Oh well... like i mentioned in the post of this thread, no one is asking anyone to tailor make or sugar coat comments...

For what it's worth, the personal tour of Telok Blangah is still on if you see this.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 12th November 2002 at 06:51 PM.
    --

Originally posted by pyre
    hmm.... was the quote from Abraham Howard Maslow?
    Nope. It appeared in a book.... and it wasn't by Maslow (although his Hierarchy of Needs makes for interesting read)

Anyone else?

Anyhow, if anyone else is keen, here is the quote once more...

Just because you have a brain like a hammer, doesn't mean you need to treat everyone else like a nail.
    The offer of the free drink for getting this right is still on, till midnight tonight.
    --

Originally posted by YSLee
    Well, prove me wrong then. Prove me wrong.
    YS.. thats exactly what i am trying to do here... Give everyone time. Ultimately, i believe in everyone here has what it takes.
    --

Originally posted by Wolfgang

YS.. thats exactly what i am trying to do here... Give everyone time. Ultimately, i believe in everyone here has what it takes.
    Well said, Well done my friend !!!

Lets make this forum a place to stay for all....

Default Re: An open note to all

Originally posted by Wolfgang

PS: Whoever can tell me where the quote appears in gets a free drink at the next SEED. First correct answer posted gets the beverage of his/her choice @ the foodcourt.
    Though, the sentence is not exactly word for word, but I think the actual quote should be:

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

The above quote is from Lofti Zedah (though do not know who the heck this person is )

The above quote is found here.

Do I get your drink? Or am I wrong?

Muahahaha.
    Last edited by Goondu; 12th November 2002 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast