and I have to hand my camera over to either
    a stranger or someone who knows nuts about
    SLRs [I hate it when that happens, feel so
    kan cheong tho' it's only for a while]

if I buy a tripod, it'll prob be a low-end one
    [$50 and below]

if borrow ... where to borrow from, ah?

thanks

Definitely worth getting a good tripod. It can help improve your pictures, especially in the sharpness department.

Regards
    CK

if your gear is light and you're looking at a tripod for below $50, you can get a pretty decent Slik or Velbon for that price range. no need to borrow... think it's not worth the hassle...

Unless you have a good friend that has a tripo to lend to you as and wehn you need it... It will be too troublesoem anyway. have to meet up to borrow. and meet up t return...

Look out for a used tripod if you dun need it in a hurry. There is one or two good offer if you are patient enuff.

Agree that it's better to get your own tripod, even if you shoot during the day time. I always use a tripod when I'm shooting landscapes, after all using a tripod takes out the hand-held factor that may potentially contribute to a "blur" image. If you have light gear then a light tripod may be had for a low price.

Personally I would get a sturdy tripod with a good ballhead right away, especially if you forsee yourself getting heavier equipment in future. Getting a good tripod saves you the cost of subsequent upgrades if you start with a so-called flimsy tripod. For example, I started out with a light camera body and a cheap "consumer" zoom lens so I got away with a $20 tripod. Then I purchased "prosumer" lens and found that the 1st tripod couldn't support the new equipment so I got a SLIK U8000 for around $80. Then still later I got an F4 and some of f2.8 lens and found that the SLIK was buckling under the weight, so I bit the bullet and shelved out $300++ for a Manfrotto tripod and ballhead. Now I have no more worries even if someone should give me an AF-S 80-200 or AF-S 300

So save up for a good tripod.

andrew

Check this article out. It's quite like how most people buy tripods.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Though I still find going straight for a carbon fibre tripod + ArcaSwiss/Acratech/Kirk ballhead + plates too much for me.

Regards
    CK

a good tripod is not a lot to pay for the conveniece (you won't need to borrow, beg or steal) n it really improves your pics (in sharpness wise, esp with long lens, night shots and close up). and a good one will last for yearssss.....

somehow, i get the feeling that people often underrate the usefulness of tripods.....

so I got a SLIK U8000 for around $80
    might consider getting this

what max. height should I be looking for?
    I'm 1.65m

checked out the SLIK website, max height for most is about 1.5m - that ok?

thanks

Originally posted by Juvelyn

I'm 1.65m

thanks
    Join us all @ SEED tomorrow.

I'm sure more than a few of us would be more than happy to offer our counsel or advise you which/what tripod to get.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Check your PM
    : ))

Originally posted by Juvelyn

I'm 1.65m

thanks
    if u r going SEED tomorrow then i'll bring the manfrotto to let you play with it. I'd seriously recommend this one to you, if you get the tripod and pan/tilt head, it's about $150 new, the ballhead would be better, no idea of the cost

andrew

Default thanks kh_drew

can't make it for SEED though

I'll drop by CP and some other shops, test out various tripods before making a decision

thanks for your offer

Originally posted by kh_drew

if u r going SEED tomorrow then i'll bring the manfrotto to let you play with it. I'd seriously recommend this one to you, if you get the tripod and pan/tilt head, it's about $150 new, the ballhead would be better, no idea of the cost

andrew
    VEry interested @ the tripod you mentioned.. what model number is it? Got a picture?

Originally posted by SniperD

VEry interested @ the tripod you mentioned.. what model number is it? Got a picture?
    Don't have a pic, but it's the Manfrotto 190DB with a 141RC pan/tilt. In the States it's also known as the Bogen 3001, don't know the model of the pan/tilt in the States though. Try searching for it on the web. The 141RC comes with an oblong quick release plate. Personally I prefer ballheads as it allows greater flexibility and there're no handles like the pan/tilt that pokes into your back while you carry it.

andrew

Originally posted by kh_drew

Don't have a pic, but it's the Manfrotto 190DB with a 141RC pan/tilt. In the States it's also known as the Bogen 3001, don't know the model of the pan/tilt in the States though. Try searching for it on the web. The 141RC comes with an oblong quick release plate. Personally I prefer ballheads as it allows greater flexibility and there're no handles like the pan/tilt that pokes into your back while you carry it.

andrew
    Yup...

Thats the same tripod that I'm using.

Relatively sturdy for normal telephoto lenses, but a little heavy for ladies even with the tripod sling if you need to move around with it for long periods of time.

What is recommended for ladies ?

Originally posted by breezeY
    What is recommended for ladies ?
    I should think the SLIK U8000 is pretty light, one of my female friend who shoots carries it.

andrew