Thread: Recommend me a CAD software...

Default Recommend me a CAD software...

Can anybody recommend me a good CAD software thats cheap yet not so buggy? (original only... best can let me know the price & also the add-ons i need)

I've used only the 2002 version of Autocad, and currently trying out the 15 day trial of turbocad professional 11.1...

The autocad i used not really that easy to create a 3D model, and if i was to get now, might get the 2005LT, which i think is the lowest end of all now rite... and the 3D features are crippled i heard... its better for 2D sketches. not sure how much does the inventor cost thou...

The turbocad seem to crash often on my current system, i am not sure why, but it loads fast showing the 'open files' without the main screen, and i select the file i wanna open, the pop up closes & it takes about 5 mins to come out with another screen (note, the bottom bar does not show a turbocad... so i reckon its like self exit or something, but pop up 5 mins later)

also saw the solidworks one, but no trial test... anybody used that before? can do show a demo for me?

Anyway, i am using it to design some new products i wanna produce, so i need a 3D function so that i can see the full product looks, i also need templates like screws & threaded holes, empty boxes etc...

thanks in advance.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Default Re: Recommend me a CAD software...

solidworks seems fine..

Unigraphic/ NX 3 is another good one..
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

U know the local price for Solidworks & Unigraphic / NX3?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

i highly recommend UniGraphics, but IIRC, it will cost you about $30000
    good luck

I am using Solidworks at work at the moment. Very good IMO piece of software. It runs well on typical office machines, unless you are into very large assemblies.

One of the biggest advantage is that you can produce both 3D models and detailed dimensions.The plus point is that should you edit your 3D models, it will be automatically updated in both detailed drawings and assembly. This allows you to instantly evaluate if the changes fit into the entire picture.

Price wise? I donno, company pay,...

Quote Originally Posted by tang90246
    i highly recommend UniGraphics, but IIRC, it will cost you about $30000
    good luck
    wah, so ex... btw i think an overkill for me now... heheh... keyword is cheap... looking at about 5k range... minus the workstation of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan99
    I am using Solidworks at work at the moment. Very good IMO piece of software. It runs well on typical office machines, unless you are into very large assemblies.

One of the biggest advantage is that you can produce both 3D models and detailed dimensions.The plus point is that should you edit your 3D models, it will be automatically updated in both detailed drawings and assembly. This allows you to instantly evaluate if the changes fit into the entire picture.

Price wise? I donno, company pay,...
    saw the demo on the web, quite like the interface, esp from 2D to 3D part, cos most of my drawing now is in 2D T/F/S... but no price mentioned on the site...

maybe have to wait til i get patents for my stuff den can buy those solid solid 1..

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    saw the demo on the web, quite like the interface, esp from 2D to 3D part, cos most of my drawing now is in 2D T/F/S... but no price mentioned on the site...

maybe have to wait til i get patents for my stuff den can buy those solid solid 1..
    Solid Edge - local rep is ECSS.
    They had an 50% promotion which ended Dec 31st. Normal price about 10k, You may want to try your luck.

There are 2 versions - dongle based and network floating license..

Autocad-2D, below $5K

ProE, solidworks,unigraphics: 3D, above $10K

Bro, your choices are limited.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    Autocad-2D, below $5K

ProE, solidworks,unigraphics: 3D, above $10K

Bro, your choices are limited.
    sob sob... poor boy no money... think lppl use turbocad...

draw 2d in autocad...import to max to visualize it in 3d! or u can hire me to do it for yah.im sure it wont cost u 5k

unless you are doing so complicated design, else, Solidworks will do...btw, what do you wanna to do?

Quote Originally Posted by tang90246
    unless you are doing so complicated design, else, Solidworks will do...btw, what do you wanna to do?
    not really much lah, its just CAD, not CAM... just wanna see in 3D if my design have any unseen problem. Its for viewing & printing only, not for sending for CAM...

other options, sketchup

http://www.siacad.com/new2/index.htm

or get a older version of AutoCAD (eg. R14) from Ebay
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

Bro try an amazing yet low cost software called IntelliCAD by SIACAD. Their list price is $750 per licensed copy. Check out their web at www.siacad.com or call 6225 3823. Say you're a friend of Sam from SIA (Singapore Institute of Architects) and you might get a good discount.

What about Autodesk Inventor Series? But the price would be sky high for this..

As you're familiar to AutoCAD, i would suggest you to go for Autodesk Inventor.

Trial cd can be ordered from this link:

http://south-apac.autodesk.com/adsk/...ryInventor2004

Or trial cd for Autodesk Inventor Professional from the following link:

http://south-apac.autodesk.com/adsk/...326&id=4317384
    Last edited by zeith; 14th January 2006 at 12:20 PM.

Hi DCA..

Please look at this link ASAP..
    http://south-apac.autodesk.com/adsk/...326&id=5669340

And this..

http://images.autodesk.com/apac_sapa...PriceSept6.pdf

Tomorrow is the last day of promotion!!
    Last edited by zeith; 14th January 2006 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartshape
    Bro try an amazing yet low cost software called IntelliCAD by SIACAD. Their list price is $750 per licensed copy. Check out their web at www.siacad.com or call 6225 3823. Say you're a friend of Sam from SIA (Singapore Institute of Architects) and you might get a good discount.
    am thinking... is it cheaper or better to buy sketchup from siacad or buy directly from @last?

Quote Originally Posted by zeith
    What about Autodesk Inventor Series? But the price would be sky high for this..

As you're familiar to AutoCAD, i would suggest you to go for Autodesk Inventor.
    but there seemed to be nothing in common between the two although they are from the autodesk company... so dun really have extra advantages by choosing Inventor

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    but there seemed to be nothing in common between the two although they are from the autodesk company... so dun really have extra advantages by choosing Inventor
    Autodesk Inventor Series comes with AutoCAD Mechanical. And you can export your Inventor files to AutoCAD Mechanical. IIRC you can also import your 2D drawings to Inventor.