Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Format old Hard Disk ... some queries

Default Re: Format old Hard Disk ... some queries

Diz is a problem whereby u hav to do a clean format. Goin to msconfig will never solve e problem.

Remember "Clean Format"

Quote Originally Posted by hazta
    Diz is a problem whereby u hav to do a clean format. Goin to msconfig will never solve e problem.

Remember "Clean Format"
    its possible...after disabling the virus processes, u will need to do a full scan to remove the virus...this should solve the prob...if that doesnt solve the prob...and u noe the wat kind of virus, u could do a search online and do a hard delete of the infected registry or files...

Remember "Clean Format"

gosh ... thanks for the further inputs but I am getting a little confused ...CLEAN FORMAT means ... ????? I dun ve a partition for my C DRIVE, which means I dun ve to execute the command FDISK, right ? I was brought up during the DOS days.

Hmmmm...what should i do ? Based on ALL your inputs, it should be :

1. Create a BOOT DISK from another CLEAN SYSTEM ...the version of OS is not important
    2. Insert BOOT DISK into flopy drive and boot up system
    3. At COMMAND PROMPT, execute FORMAT C: /u/q ?????? i dun ve to /s , right ????
    4. After format is done, re-boot system with CD with installer and reload WIN98, Second Edition and all relevant programmes

Can the experts confirm before I perform my 'operation' on my precious

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    its possible...after disabling the virus processes, u will need to do a full scan to remove the virus...this should solve the prob...if that doesnt solve the prob...and u noe the wat kind of virus, u could do a search online and do a hard delete of the infected registry or files...

yes.... heard about removing unwanted stuffs from registry ..but was advised that you need to know exactly what you are removing.....better left to experts

If I remove critical files, my system would probably be screwed too

Quote Originally Posted by AhV
    yes.... heard about removing unwanted stuffs from registry ..but was advised that you need to know exactly what you are removing.....better left to experts

If I remove critical files, my system would probably be screwed too
    haha...ya...nt recommend to those who r nt familar wif the registry...as it will screw up the system if the wrong registry is been deleted...kena once b4....accidentally deleted the wrong file own system cannot boot to window...

gosh ... thanks for the further inputs but I am getting a little confused ...CLEAN FORMAT means ... ????? I dun ve a partition for my C DRIVE, which means I dun ve to execute the command FDISK, right ? I was brought up during the DOS days.

1. Create a BOOT DISK from another CLEAN SYSTEM ...the version of OS is not important
    4. After format is done, re-boot system with CD with installer and reload WIN98, Second Edition and all relevant programmes

yup basically its like that...but remember to plug out ur internet connection,e.g ethernet wire...when reinstalling the windows...as during the process of reinstalling window is very prone to infection(if u r unlucky)...

n y nt consider to upgrade to win2k?
    its much more stable...
    Last edited by dreamerz; 12th January 2006 at 11:19 PM.

yes .. just use format C: will do ...

K.. for some virus infected PC (like e one I juz had from my client), yes u can zoom into e files in e registry n delete them. Diz is provided u know e virus. There was once I had to delete 28,000 files juz to save e hardisk from reformatting...

For ur case, u dunno e virus. So u hav to perform a clean format. To do diz, u hav to c/out fdisk. Y? Simple...

1) Every hardisk has a unique ID
    2) By doin a clean format (i.e. fdisk followed by format), e hardisk will hav a fresh new ID.
    3) E virus dat has attacked ur PC hav had ur hardisk initial ID computed.
    4) So if u dun do a clean format, it will detect ur hardisk again coz there isnt any ID changed.
    5) If however u hav c/out a clean format (ID has been changed), e virus will not b able to detect n infect ur hardisk again.

Got it?

Hope diz helps... n good luck...

Back to the very basic first.
    How do you know that it is a virus?
    What is the name or type of the "innocent" file that you open?
    What message or error do you get when you try to run application?
    If your system still can boot, you should not do formating yet... most virus has a "cure".
    Have you try to run stinger from McAfee as suggest by ozora?

K.. for some virus infected PC (like e one I juz had from my client), yes u can zoom into e files in e registry n delete them. Diz is provided u know e virus. There was once I had to delete 28,000 files juz to save e hardisk from reformatting...

For ur case, u dunno e virus. So u hav to perform a clean format. To do diz, u hav to c/out fdisk. Y? Simple...

1) Every hardisk has a unique ID
    2) By doin a clean format (i.e. fdisk followed by format), e hardisk will hav a fresh new ID.
    3) E virus dat has attacked ur PC hav had ur hardisk initial ID computed.
    4) So if u dun do a clean format, it will detect ur hardisk again coz there isnt any ID changed.
    5) If however u hav c/out a clean format (ID has been changed), e virus will not b able to detect n infect ur hardisk again.

Got it?

Hope diz helps... n good luck...

er.... think so.....one question..how do I create a BOOT Disk with fdisk included??? thot most will just include the command.com only

When u create bootable disk, fdisk will b included.

After booting ur sytem w e floppy inserted, ur PC will go to A:/
    From here...

1) type c: n enter
    2) u will see c:/
    3) type fdisk n enter
    4) follow instruction on screen

Gd luck...

It depend on what OS are you creating your boot disk from.

Btw.. watz ur system config?

Processor n speed?
    Ram - 512
    Hardisk - ?
    OS - ?
    Virus Scanner - ?

I have run STINGER before..found nth.......but that was after I tried to meddle with the infection myself via HIJACKTHIS ...so although WINDOWS can still boot up, ALL WINDOWS programme are not able to launch..So, FORMAT is still best option, OLA ?

Anyway, let me run upstairs to run STINGER again..will update its findings shortly

Do u mean u cannot run Microsoft's programme?

R u able to connect to e internet?

Is there any icon on ur taskbar near e clock popping out message sayin ur system had been infected?

I have run STINGER before..found nth.......but that was after I tried to meddle with the infection myself via HIJACKTHIS ...so although WINDOWS can still boot up, ALL WINDOWS programme are not able to launch..So, FORMAT is still best option, OLA ?

Anyway, let me run upstairs to run STINGER again..will update its findings shortly
    What do you mean not able to launch?
    Click and nothings happen?
    Click and there is an error message?
    or cannot even click?
    You need to provide more details before anyone can really help/advice you.

If you have the time to re-install the OS, all applications and you do not need the data in the hard disk, the format will be the best option. (I refresh/re-install my PC at least once a year)

Normally I will try to save all data files and try to "repair" first.
    Format and re-installation is always the last option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    or cannot even click?

If you have the time to re-install the OS, all applications and you do not need the data in the hard disk, the format will be the best option. (I refresh/re-install my PC at least once a year)

Agreed... Formatting is e last way out.

Do u mean u cannot run Microsoft's programme?

R u able to connect to e internet?

Is there any icon on ur taskbar near e clock popping out message sayin ur system had been infected?

Yes..I mean I cannot RUN ALL Microsoft programmes

Yes...I can connect to the internet BUT NOT WITH INTERNET EXPLORER ...downloaded Firefox ( NOT MS )....

No popup message.....as I was preparing my HD for format...I have already removed NORTON AV and majority of the MS programmes

Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    or cannot even click?

ER.... ARENT ALL THE ABOVE THE SAME ? I CLICK AND ALL I GET IS UNABLE TO LAUNCH APPLICATIONS....FILES ARE MISSING ( STH LIKE THAT )

FORMAT WILL ALWAYS BE CLEANER SO THA THE VIRUS IS NOT RESIDING IN OTHER PARTS OF THE HD

NOTED...ALWAYS LAST AND BEST RESORT..'KILL' THE VIRUS

MY REPLY IN CAPS

Watz ur hardisk capacity?

If itz large then create partition in fdisk. Diz way u hav only e system file in e C drive n ur data (especially ur photos) in e other.

If u need to reformat in future, juz format e C drive only without touchin ur data...

Hope diz helps... Gd luck again...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast