Thread: Change Lens with Film SLR

Smile Change Lens with Film SLR

Hi

I'm wondering if one's allowed to change Lens with the film loaded as well as a few exposures taken. If yes, do I have to switch off the cam first before changing Lens? Sorry, newbie to SLR here. Thanks.

Regards

Default Re: Change Lens with Film SLR

Quote Originally Posted by Megabyte
    I'm wondering if one's allowed to change Lens with the film loaded as well as a few exposures taken. If yes, do I have to switch off the cam first before changing Lens? Sorry, newbie to SLR here. Thanks.
    No problem whatsoever. Switching off the camera doesn't hurt, but should not be necessary.

It doesn't matter because as long as you don't press the shutter, the film will not be exposed.

changing lens and switching off camera are two independent operations that have no bearing on each other

Its ok, unless you accidentally open the shutter from the front by say sticking your finger through the shutter blades. After all, whether changing lens or not, don't forget light is still entering the camera to allow you to see through the viewfinder, unless you put the lens cover on the lens. The shutter blades are the ones which are preventing light from exposing the film while you are still viewing through the viewfinder. Just take a look when changing lens and you'll know what I mean.

Smile Re: Change Lens with Film SLR

Thanks guys... Just as a precautionary measure. Don't wanna waste my 36 rolls of exposure just bcoz I need to change my lens.

Regards

digital or film, you can choose to not switch off camera, while changing lens, doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megabyte
    Hi

Regards
    Certainly can change lens with film loaded. Have done it many times in the past. As to switching off, never considered it. Only switched off when I remembered to. So far, my SLR is working fine. Just don't press your shutter button while changing lens, although I don't see how I could, since I use both hands to change lens...

If you read the manual, it will advise you to switch off the camera before changing lens.

I never do that..

One risk of not switching off is the accidental tripping of the shutter while changing lens. Film is cheap but it could damage your lens or camera if anything is caught while the shutter is tripped.

ahem. film is not cheap, wrt memorycards.

anyway, IIRC, for DSLR, switch off is good. dust can be attracted to the CMOS sensorchip area because when on, that area is chaaarged.

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    ahem. film is not cheap, wrt memorycards.

anyway, IIRC, for DSLR, switch off is good. dust can be attracted to the CMOS sensorchip area because when on, that area is chaaarged.
    Cheap lah.. 1 frame is like 10cents?

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    Cheap lah.. 1 frame is like 10cents?
    haha.

to quote someone else, " TEN 10cents MAKE A FREAKING DOLLAR! TEN!!!! "

not taking into consideration the initial cost of buying a 2gb card, what is the cost of a single frame for dslr? its value keeps dropping! infinitely cheeaaaaaaap.