View Poll Results: What would you do at the top of the tower?? (see below for story)

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Enjoy the view but don't shoot... I Sporean wat...

11 35.48%
  • Yes. Shoot first. Then act blur. Stop before he reaches the top

18 58.06%
  • Don't even bother. Gee... if the guide say no, I won't even wanna climb the tower...

2 6.45%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do if....??

Default Re: What would you do if....??

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Hmm... Good boy?

Maybe I'm just one heck of a nasty chap.
    i think if you have given your word then you should honor it. you wouldn't want others to break their promises to you right?

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I understand that yours was an honest mistake, and I can accept that. But if your guide had done his job properly, the fiasco would not and should not be there.

Nonetheless, your experience is really not quite relevant to this thread. If you have please kindly read the first post carefully before you post, you will know that your experience have nothing to do with the scenario created by the thread starter, and which is basically an issue of dishonoring one's words. Absolutely nothing about honest mistake.

The view of some responders appears to be that if is OK to break one's words. And in my view, nothing should be given to encourage this attitude.
    Yup, I have also read centuryegg's respond and its not really the same as the thread. Its only that close since his guide did not mention for him, not to shoot. So its an honest mistake.

It also shows how dangerous it could be. We may not know that we are shooting in a restricted area.

Anyway, my post is a real incident which I will post the link to the story later on. I am not involved but as I read it, I also wonder what I would do if I was faced with the situation. Hence this poll. There is no right or wrong and I am not judging on morals (who am I to judge that... heh). Just wondering what the rest think.

Still you have made a valid point. Honouring your word is an important thing too.

On a smaller scale, I have noticed some CSers / photogs at fashion shows who have been told "No Photography" but talked their way into getting a seat, promising they just wanna watch and won't shoot; and then whip out their cameras to shoot later. No risk of life but I can't help but draw a parellel.

The military aspect is enough for stopping you from going right up the tower. Getting yourself into trouble is one thing, you may have bought a lot of insurance to cover for your dependants but dun get your poor health guide (and maybe your team) into deep ****.

The other thing could be religion. Some temple doesn't allow photography. So respect the culture.

Besides the selfish "keeper", I dun see a strong reason to take the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i think if you have given your word then you should honor it. you wouldn't want others to break their promises to you right?
    Hmm... At times the overwhelming scenery really makes ur fingers itch so badly that u can't resist.

Of cos, I'm not all for ppl breaking their promises, nor am I encouraging promises to be broken on the spur of the moment.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Hmm... At times the overwhelming scenery really makes ur fingers itch so badly that u can't resist.

Of cos, I'm not all for ppl breaking their promises, nor am I encouraging promises to be broken on the spur of the moment.
    the temptation is always there. but resist you must

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    On a smaller scale, I have noticed some CSers / photogs at fashion shows who have been told "No Photography" but talked their way into getting a seat, promising they just wanna watch and won't shoot; and then whip out their cameras to shoot later. No risk of life but I can't help but draw a parellel.
    sadly this appears to be a singaporean thing. even at concerts or shows where they announce before the show that flash photography and other recording devices are prohibited, i still see little flashes going off during the performance.

Default Re: What would you do if....?? (Posted: The article)

Thanks for all the responds.

The actual place is Iraq and the magazine is National Geographic.... the photographer is quite famous too. Which is why I started wonderin if i would have done the same.

Shooting Iraq With a Camera
    http://www.theglobalist.com/DBWeb/St...x?StoryId=2884

I guess with all the beheadings going on there... it will definitely be a challenging experience over there....

Your poll has nothing to do with the news article. According to the article, the photographer did not lie, and to the best of his knowledge did not photograph any sensitive buildings.

In the case of ur poll, just shoot what you were there to shoot. If you were there to shoot mosques, then don't shoot military installations for the heck of it. Furthermore, you were not paid to shoot anything else, would your sponsor/editor appreciate images of secret installations? I think not.

On the issue regarding morality, if you did promise not to shoot then you shouldn't have. Or if you're a bad ass then go ahead and lie. But you're a photojournalist, so I would expect better morals & ethics.

You should have had decided on the spot what your intentions were before persuading the guide to let you up, then you wouldn't face the issue of being guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    Your poll has nothing to do with the news article. According to the article, the photographer did not lie, and to the best of his knowledge did not photograph any sensitive buildings.

In the case of ur poll, just shoot what you were there to shoot. If you were there to shoot mosques, then don't shoot military installations for the heck of it. Furthermore, you were not paid to shoot anything else, would your sponsor/editor appreciate images of secret installations? I think not.

On the issue regarding morality, if you did promise not to shoot then you shouldn't have. Or if you're a bad ass then go ahead and lie. But you're a photojournalist, so I would expect better morals & ethics.

You should have had decided on the spot what your intentions were before persuading the guide to let you up, then you wouldn't face the issue of being guilty.
    Please read carefully, I did not say that you photograph the military installations.
    I said, "The view is spectacular. You will have keeper shots! What would you do???"

Michael Yamashita said he took the shot and then later said that there was nothing interesting to shoot to the guide. Earlier he told the guide that he was just gonna take a look. I am not judging him for the action nor am I judging the responds to this poll. Rather I was wondering what you would do. In a sense, he lied. Or bluffed. Or confounded the truth.

Also, the guide would have gotten into trouble for allowing this to happen. Esp so when this article gets printed.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo

You go to someone else's home. You want to see the room with the door that seems to stay shut permanently. You request the host to let you in and the host says no. You insist with the condition of look-see only. The host lets you in for your curiosity, while the host is not looking, you do something more than look-see. Then you say, ah, nothing interesting, lets go.

Is this how a NG photog should behave? I wouldn't want to even mention that any where in my publication.

To me a photo is a photo. I wouldn't trade it for trust and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    the temptation is always there. but resist you must
    I must resist.... Namo Amitabah.... *tok-tok-tok-tok-tok*
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12