Thread: Fuji Superia vs Kodak Supra

Default Fuji Superia vs Kodak Supra

Hmmm...I realize from that canon users thread that most of you use Fuji Superia vs a handful who uses Kodak Supra.

I shot 2 rolls of that Superia thing and I made a vow never to use that film again. The pictures come out very very warm, compared to Kodak Supra, shot under the same conditions and developed at the same lab (Soo Kee if you must know)

So after looking through that list, I thought perhaps 2 rolls doesn't mean anything so would like users of both's opinions.

Regards,
    JK

Fuji film warm?? Hmmmm........

And I thought Kodak should be warmer? Yeah, 2 rolls isn't conclusive, shoot more. I have not tried the Supras but haven't got a problem with Superia XTRA 400.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Fuji Superia vs Kodak Supra

Originally posted by tanjk
    I shot 2 rolls of that Superia thing and I made a vow never to use that film again. The pictures come out very very warm, compared to Kodak Supra, shot under the same conditions and developed at the same lab (Soo Kee if you must know)
    Regards,
    JK
    Strange.. I had already used many rolls of Supra and Fuji Press/Superia. So far the Supra always tend to be "warmer" than Fuji, while Fuji is less grainy than Supra (for the same ISO).
    Have you ever tried to print the same film at different photo-lab?

Oh...I forgot to add that I over exposed the Supras by 1/3 stops (EI 320 with ISO400) but shoot the superias at rated EI.

I'm not sure about the warm part though because I purposely shoot it under my house's tungsten light bulb, just to see the effect. The fujis turn out almost orange while the supras looked OK. (Barring any error on my side )

Under daylight I must say they all looked alright. Actually, I suspected that the lab does a bad job but I thought since they're a Fuji shop ... Reason is that I also sent a digital print for them to do, wah.. it turn out so warm the colors are all off (the same effect as though you set your monitor color temp to the lowest settings). I send the same thing to RGB and that one turns out so much better.

Considering they are much cheaper than the Kodak Supras (erm...they no longer has this right?), might just give them a shot again

Regards,
    JK

Change to the FUJIFILM X-TRA400.. no problem since day1

Originally posted by SniperD
    Change to the FUJIFILM X-TRA400.. no problem since day1
    ERm... xtra == superia.
    Full name: FujiColour Superia X-TRA

IMO fuji's film should turn out cooler due to their 4th green colour layer.

How did you figure out the Fuji film is warm? Raw scans? If you are looking at prints, you can make out absolutely NOTHING, because the lab will compensate / correct for everything during printing. Ask them to print both without colour correction and then see the difference.

I personally prefer any Fuji film to any Kodak film because the grain is typically much finer (and the colours are more neutral in C41 films). I hate Kodak's typical yellowish warm cast.

Have not tried Fuji Superias but always been using Kodak Supra 400. Don't have much a problem with them. Perhaps I should try the Superia.

How much are the Superias anyway? If I am not wrong Supra 400 is around $5 a roll.

superia 100 $3 a roll...Fuji NPH 400/36 @ S$6.50

Cool!!!... Save $2 a roll!!!... Definitely a try!!!

err.its superia100. 400 should cost more dunno didn't ask. i like 100 nice and sharp. if you've always used 400 film maybe can try the superia 100 on a sunny day out.

Yeah... but shouldnt bee too much more lah... Will probably go down to Peninsula to check it out some time next week after all my exams!!!...

Thanks jon!!!...

nivlekx...u in nus too? exams end next friday. prob gg to get a 420 ex before year end..gst hike next yr

yeah... papers end on tues... my present for meself would we a new extension tube to go into flower and insect macro...

good for u on the purchase of your 420ex.. a good flash can last a long time!!!...

for now... good luck for your papers!!!

thanks u too...cheers

Originally posted by sriram
    How did you figure out the Fuji film is warm? Raw scans? If you are looking at prints, you can make out absolutely NOTHING, because the lab will compensate / correct for everything during printing. Ask them to print both without colour correction and then see the difference.

I personally prefer any Fuji film to any Kodak film because the grain is typically much finer (and the colours are more neutral in C41 films). I hate Kodak's typical yellowish warm cast.
    I'm fully aware that labs will compensate. Perhaps it's just coincidental sloppy operators doing that 2 superia rolls. Since so many of you have testified that Kodak is warmer then the superias, I'll try it out again

Okie now, how about some opinions on your rated EI for the superias 400s and 800s?

BTW, I used to pay $5 for 400 and $7 for 800. I know fuji 400 cost $7 for a pack of 2 (don't know the price now).

Regards,
    JK

Jerome
    Guests

I don't have problems with Supra and in fact, it is my favorite film. Not too warm at all. And no problems with grain. I only use Superia nowadays when I do casual shots like birthdays, simply outings, etc. The colours are not natural. Can be over saturated at times. It's cheaper too. For serious work, Supra is my choice! But it's up to individual preference....