Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Photography

Default Re: Food Photography

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    pro image: just curious...are these paid shots? or did u took them while dinning away?
    it depends.
    I did for a restaurant. including menu design and printing and art direction and photography $5000. includes 1/2 day shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong
    Any local Singaporean food pictures??? Such as satay as seen, chicken rice, etc...

I see that most food in the pictures are like from resturants, high class eating place... How bout hawker centre, "lao pa sa", satay club etc... I think these locations will bring out more local feel too... Just a suggestion...
    First is hawker food (for example the soup kambing from Chinatown I shot) it's always very messy. There is no plating or styling to it. So no matter how much you shoot, it's difficult to make it look good unless they are paying us to shoot for them.

All food shot nowadays are as real as you can get without using any artificial ingredients. Ice cream use to be replace by whip potato but nowadays, we use real ice cream.

Only restaurants have slightly better presentation. Fine dining restaurants of course will have a good presentation to their food as the chefs have great pride in their food they cook.

Let me go dig out my old archive on local food.

Anyway, I will be removing my current food shots for now as do not want people to leech them. Will be posting new ones very soon. Sorry guys....

my dessert contribution

Banana nut muffin

with Nutella

Strawberry Cheesecake

Blueberry Cheesecake slice

Looks nice, but the DOF seems very shallow. Only a few centimetres of the desserts are in focus...
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    Looks nice, but the DOF seems very shallow. Only a few centimetres of the desserts are in focus...
    i like those kind of shots i see in food magazines, mostly very shallow DOF also
    is it supposed to be a lot less shallow?

Quote Originally Posted by tubbykat
    i like those kind of shots i see in food magazines, mostly very shallow DOF also
    Nope I think it's great. In fact your shots are one of the best I have seen on this thread.

Hmmm... the nutella muffins look very delicious!

If you don't mind, could you share how you set up for these shots?- In terms of the lighting, and the lens that you used. I've just recently aquired a D70s and 50mm f1/8, and I'm trying to achieve that feel you have in your pics and other very pro pics posted in thread.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo
    Hmmm... the nutella muffins look very delicious!

If you don't mind, could you share how you set up for these shots?- In terms of the lighting, and the lens that you used. I've just recently aquired a D70s and 50mm f1/8, and I'm trying to achieve that feel you have in your pics and other very pro pics posted in thread.

Thanks!
    hi hobbesyeo, you are right, the nutella muffins are damn bloody delicious HAHA!
    guess what? i was using the same camera as you, the lens i have is the 50mm f1.4 but i believe my setting for some of the shots are f1.8 as i wanted the Nutella to be seen in the background. guess i set to f1.4 for the banana nut shots thus the bunch of bananas in the background not very obvious right? lighting wise, i use available light coming in from my kitchen window and the muffins were set on top of my washing machine! oops secret out
    so really nothing fancy la. i still find natural light the best for food photography. hope you find this useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Nope I think it's great. In fact your shots are one of the best I have seen on this thread.
    thank you Pro Image, i'm very flattered!

I'll share some too

Quote Originally Posted by SpitFir3
    I'll share some too

Food should not be too burn out. Try and retain your highlights.

Possible have some settings on your table. The white table is just a little too plain.

BTW, your table is a little dirty. Your porrigde is is the only nice due to a the flatness of the food which the highlight is able to reach out.

However your parsley leaves is too scattered and messy on the porridge.

It's nice to see more food shots.

I would like to apologise to all kakis in here for not show casing my food shots too long as this are still my clients photos (but i did request for permission from them that i will be putting up for just a couple of days).

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyftk
    Just wondering, does anyone use tilt-shift lenses when doing food shoots?
    Didn't read your post earlier. Yes usually I will use the 85mm f2.8 PC Nikkor T&S but depends on the clientele needs as some of them do not appreciate too blurred photos.

Smile Re: Food Photography

would you be so kind to share with us which shot/s you posted so far were shot with the s/t using s/t capabilities and why?

Didn't read your post earlier. Yes usually I will use the 85mm f2.8 PC Nikkor T&S but depends on the clientele needs as some of them do not appreciate too blurred photos.

in fact most clients do not appreciate blurred images.
    it also depends on the image usage, for signboards, signages or ad-stands... magazines etc.

different requirements comes with different shooting style.

i've some T/S food shots. will post them next week and share my experience.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

my dessert contribution

Banana nut muffin

with Nutella

Strawberry Cheesecake

Blueberry Cheesecake slice
    these are good less for the last one...
    if u're thinking of shooting magazine style, then u might want to try portrait shooting mode.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    would you be so kind to share with us which shot/s you posted so far were shot with the s/t using s/t capabilities and why?
    None of the shots I have posted use the T/S. As i mentioned earlier it depends on the clientele need. A hawker would not appreciate their food to be entirely ouf of focus. Reason? Well next time you go to a hawker, show them 2 photos (one super sharp and another one point in focus) and you will get the answer. For some restaurants such as fine dining may consider it as it depends on how they want to market their product. Not all will agree with the T/S effects.

Not only food shots uses T/S but I shoot portrait/product/nature/macro with it as well. Some of my clientele appreciate the way the photo is being done on the T/S effect. I do have T/S photos but pity I can't show it to you as my client does not allow me to put it on the net. You have to ask Cheesecake as he has some shots.

You can check on the net about the T/S capabilties and why some photographers use it. To me I only use it when I think there is needs too. There is no actual answer on why I use T/S lens to shoot some of the food/product/people/nature/macro shots but more of when I am shooting on that day itself. It's what you call a photographer instinct.

The ambience/atmosphere, colour, compositions and settings plays a big role on how an overall photo should look like. It's not just about T/S and making the photos look blurred.

Uncle go read more lar on the net.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 15th January 2006 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    in fact most clients do not appreciate blurred images.
    it also depends on the image usage, for signboards, signages or ad-stands... magazines etc.

different requirements comes with different shooting style.

i've some T/S food shots. will post them next week and share my experience.
    Yeah man....show it to us!

And yes you are right about the clientele needs. I have had clientele who wants the photo to be so blurr that only one small little tiny weeny point is in focus. So funny on some of this people nowadays.

None of the shots I have posted use the T/S. As i mentioned earlier it depends on the clientele need. ........ ............

just to add on, i hate doing T/S.
    it is troublesome, tiring and most importantly, crumblesome.
    i would prefer a straight shot anytime less stated.

in actual fact, most would shoot a straight shot and just add some blurness to it as they deem fit.

this is funny, if u show 2 blurred images, one with T/S and one done using PS, 99% of the clients can't tell the difference! to the clients, they just want the right images to go with their need and taste.

Yeah man....show it to us!

And yes you are right about the clientele needs. I have had clientele who wants the photo to be so blurr that only one small little tiny weeny point is in focus. So funny on some of this people nowadays.
    paiseh, jus to share what T/S food shots are like... nothing special la, not to raise a point or challenge. paiseh...

personally i prefer straight photos of good food. u get to see the whole image and it can really whet ur appetite. yummy!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast