Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aperture and Shutter

Default Re: Aperture and Shutter

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyspidy
    lol smell too much later become high. i know what each function does but i don't understand the physics behind it. for me i'd rather understand how and why my camera do certain things when i set it differently, rather than just know what each function does and base on that compose a photo. i feel more satisfied that way. heh.

hahaha. you cfm real guy. its the need for technology.
    not like me, so simple.

omg. not a gender thing right.

Quote Originally Posted by mintae
    hahaha. you cfm real guy. its the need for technology.
    not like me, so simple.

omg. not a gender thing right.
    nono not being sexist here. didn't even know you were a lady until this post. haha. what cam u using?

I am no pro photographer, but the few occasion that I teach people the basics of exposure, I always use this analogy (A little bit technical). Ok for those who are interested, please read on.

Imagine a pail being filled with water from a tap, and filling the water to the brim is equal to having a properly exposed picture. In this case:-
    size of pail = ISO
    The amount the tap is turned = aperture
    The duration the tap is left on in that position = Shutter speed
    If you are still with me up to here, then here goes.
    If you have a standard pail (ISO fixed) then if you turned the tap on small (Big F number), then you will have to leave the tap on longer (Small shutter speed number) to fill the pail just right (correct exposure).
    So logically, to get the same amount in the same sized pail, you can also turn the tap on bigger (smaller F number), but then will have to quickly turn off the tap (Large shutter speed number) or else the water will overflow (over exposed).

Now that you have the basics of the exposure triangle (shutter, aperture & ISO) Its a simple matter to extend the explaination further to add exposure compensation. This can be liken to the mains supply tap outside your house, that is, it has an overriding effect on the above explaination. To elaborate, if your main supply tap is on big (positive compensation), then for the same settings, you will find that your pail tends to overflow (if you get what I mean). Conversly, if you turn the main supply smaller, then for that same setting, the pail will not be filled (under exposure).
    I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Try to understand these first before venturing to understand depth of field and motion blurr etc which are just happy by products of those settings.
    Last edited by MDZ2; 11th January 2006 at 03:15 PM.

omg!!! thats even more confusing! hahaha. i stick to my simple understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by mintae
    omg!!! thats even more confusing! hahaha. i stick to my simple understanding.
    haha too many cooks spoil the broth. too much sh*t floods the toilet bowl. as long as u comprende can liao.

haha too many cooks spoil the broth. too much sh*t floods the toilet bowl. as long as u comprende can liao.
    Too much light overexposes?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Too much light overexposes?
    well.... yeah, something along that line.

well.... yeah, something along that line.
    Meant to be a tongue-in-cheek addition to your line.

No pun intended or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    I thought that when you shoot in RAW format, you can adjust the WB to whatever you like in post-processing and so it doesn't matter which WB you use in shooting earlier?
    well.. if u can get it right on the spot.. why not?

my point was, IF it needs to be wrong (that knida sounds wierd ahha but anyway), at least let them be consistently wrong, so that after correcting one image, u can apply the same correction to the rest of the images (in the same scene/setting).

oh, and another reason to get it correct: most RAW shooters shoot in RAW + JPG... at least u get good jpgs that are useable, in case of alot of reasons.. like.. sending to customers for preview, projecting live using wireless... hmm wat else are jpgs good for.. posting the image on clubsnap!!!

You can hit the bookship and find a book called: HWM Megaguide: Digital Photography. I got one and find it very helpful. It allows a comprehensive understanding of how shutter, aperture & iso works in tandem. it also covers the various functions that you will find in your camera with the help of pictures to show the results.

To clarify, i am in no way related to the publisher or the writers but a satisfied owner of the book.

It cost abt $18 buck but free if you browse it thru there. It is black in colour, abt 7mm thick and slight smaller than A4 size.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSix
    You can hit the bookship and find a book called: HWM Megaguide: Digital Photography. I got one and find it very helpful. It allows a comprehensive understanding of how shutter, aperture & iso works in tandem. it also covers the various functions that you will find in your camera with the help of pictures to show the results.

To clarify, i am in no way related to the publisher or the writers but a satisfied owner of the book.

It cost abt $18 buck but free if you browse it thru there. It is black in colour, abt 7mm thick and slight smaller than A4 size.
    That's one mag i have been trying to find everywhere but to no avail.... Have u spotted any copies anywhere recently?
    Sony Nex 6 MILC.

Quote Originally Posted by phelan
    That's one mag i have been trying to find everywhere but to no avail.... Have u spotted any copies anywhere recently?
    Hi,

You can try to find it in SIM LIM SQUARE. Try one of those magazine stands outside, I think there is still some available.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

I bought mine about 2 months back at Kinokuniya at Ngee Ann City. Don't know if there is any more there. can try.

I wandered into one of my uni's fairs on Wed and found a HWM stall there. Got the Megaguide from them. What are the odds?

Fair was held by the nus photog society.
    Sony Nex 6 MILC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123