Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aperture and Shutter

Default Re: Aperture and Shutter

Basically, all the explanations given were very detailed and easy to understand. But practice is still the main key. When you go out to shoot, be it anything. Make sure you remeember or take note of the settings, eg. ISO Aperture, Shutter, even the lights. Sometime we take it for granted that the program on the computer will let us know later. But its still what you can learn and remember on the field that will make the difference.
    LensView::Say Fromage Productions
    EOS 1DS::EOS 1D MKII::EOS 7D

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyspidy
    but i see photographs of 300mm f/22 of maybe, birds, and the birds are sharp and clear, while the background is totally off. how does that work?
    The DOF not only depends on the aperature but also on the user's distance to the subject. For the case of birds watching and shooting (camera shoot), the subject (the bird) is usually far away. If using the same configuration and walking closer, your DOF should be of greater depth.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    The DOF not only depends on the aperature but also on the user's distance to the subject. For the case of birds watching and shooting (camera shoot), the subject (the bird) is usually far away. If using the same configuration and walking closer, your DOF should be of greater depth.
    cool. thanks again. will keep your tips in mind the next time i go shoot.

cool. thanks again. will keep your tips in mind the next time i go shoot.
    Hi there,

You are welcome. Try to shoot more and you will learn more. Here is some advice. Try to shoot in Programme mode first. Then switch to Aperature Priority mode and then Shutter Priority mode to experiment. You can also try bracketing too.

Have fun shooting. All the best.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Hi there,

You are welcome. Try to shoot more and you will learn more. Here is some advice. Try to shoot in Programme mode first. Then switch to Aperature Priority mode and then Shutter Priority mode to experiment. You can also try bracketing too.

Have fun shooting. All the best.
    oh man i dont understand bracketing....

Just to share some shoots for understanding Aperature and Depth OF Field (DOF).

50mm @ f2.0

50mm @ f22
    Last edited by Francis247; 10th January 2006 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Change to f2.0 because the foreground pot is much sharper.

oh man i dont understand bracketing....
    Bracketing is used when you are not sure if the initial exposure is good enough, so by using a different Exposure Value (EV), it will set a "+" value to your image to make it slighter brighter and then a "-" value to make your image slighter darker.

A Bracketing usually consist of 3 shots (or more shots), it is a useful process to shoot several identical images, each with a different Exposure Value (EV) so as to guarantee that at least one of the image will be the one with the correct amount of exposure.

Bracketing is used when you are not sure if the initial exposure is good enough, so by using a different Exposure Value (EV), it will set a "+" value to your image to make it slighter brighter and then a "-" value to make your image slighter darker.

A Bracketing usually consist of 3 shots (or more shots), it is a useful process to shoot several identical images, each with a different Exposure Value (EV) so as to guarantee that at least one of the image will be the one with the correct amount of exposure.
    oh so this is that exposure compensation thing. so +1 is one stop higher -0.5 is half a stop lower?

Apeture
    Shutter Speed
    ISO
    Exposure Compensation....

Starting to get the hang of it now....

exposure compensation affects exposure only when using auto or semi-auto metering modes.

ie, P S(Tv) or A(Av). in M mode, it does nothing except to adjust your meter. (the METER, NOT the exposure, since you are adjusting your own iso/aperture/speed)

so let's say u shoot in A mode, dial in f2.8, and the camera gives you 1/500. but becos u know better, that the scene is heavily backlighted and when you shot a similar scene last time letting the camera meter, the foreground was totally dark. so u want to shoot at a slower speed, say 1 stop slower. you then go ahead and dial in and exposure compensation of -1EV. the camera should now tell you that it'll shoot at 1/250 (make sure you point at the same scene lar!). in other words, exposure compensation changes what the camera thinks it should be. it's an intervention on your part.

oh.... so bracketing is the process of doing a series of exposure compensation.... thanks joho, but how come cameras can be so easily fooled into giving the wrong exposure when they meter ah?

oh.... so bracketing is the process of doing a series of exposure compensation.... thanks joho, but how come cameras can be so easily fooled into giving the wrong exposure when they meter ah?
    well yeah i guess u could put it that way.. the bracketing part..

as for your question ehheeh.. this one highly subjective, some pple swear by certain metering systems (or brands), others just use agaration + experience + LCD screen...

but there's one thing for sure, know ur cam and how it performs in certain situations. sometimes being "wrong" isn't bad, if the "wrongness" is CONSISTANT. meaning.. if the cam will under expose 1 stop for certain scenes, it does so all the time, so u know that u need to +1 all the time. consistancy is the key. actually applies more so for white balance. AWB sometimes so inconsistant, even shoot at 8fps, one frame to the next got inconsistancy, with the same frame...

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    well yeah i guess u could put it that way.. the bracketing part..

as for your question ehheeh.. this one highly subjective, some pple swear by certain metering systems (or brands), others just use agaration + experience + LCD screen...

but there's one thing for sure, know ur cam and how it performs in certain situations. sometimes being "wrong" isn't bad, if the "wrongness" is CONSISTANT. meaning.. if the cam will under expose 1 stop for certain scenes, it does so all the time, so u know that u need to +1 all the time. consistancy is the key. actually applies more so for white balance. AWB sometimes so inconsistant, even shoot at 8fps, one frame to the next got inconsistancy, with the same frame...
    then would a good way be to use a preset WB all the time? i.e take the WB by shooting at a white wall or white card. when presenting WB should use flash?

then would a good way be to use a preset WB all the time? i.e take the WB by shooting at a white wall or white card. when presenting WB should use flash?
    well i dunno wat others do, i just set it to what i think is most accurate, as in cloudy, flash, sunny, tungsten etc etc (for my body i can set each setting 7 ways.. +-3 and 0). then for the same scene i shoot all the same wb, if one wrong, all wrong, all correct with the same setting since i shoot RAW (batch processing).

like i said, wrong nvm, must be consistantly wrong!!

well i dunno wat others do, i just set it to what i think is most accurate, as in cloudy, flash, sunny, tungsten etc etc (for my body i can set each setting 7 ways.. +-3 and 0). then for the same scene i shoot all the same wb, if one wrong, all wrong, all correct with the same setting since i shoot RAW (batch processing).

hey cool tip! i shall keep that in mind. thanks alot.

Wink Re: Aperture and Shutter

from a newbie:

omg. i think newbie must learn with manual first.
    i mean if we dont understand how to utilise the basic stuff,
    how to learn the mode and all that cheem cheem stuff!

or maybe cause you can afford,
    i cannot.

anyway i go by idiot proof method:

what you taking of (action vs still)
    action: priority shutter speed
    still: priority aperture
    -if you have tripod then even better cause if no tripod you must then consider your shutter speed that i learn from here, speed must be faster than 1/focal length so no shake.
    -then again you can use flash but some situations also cannot use.

anyway, get a small book to read. =)
    i take one picture can take 15times.
    super kiasu more than bracketing. LOL!
    chao newbie. chao waste film, chao waste MONEY.

but i like the smell of film
    Fuji Superia got very strong smell!
    Last edited by mintae; 10th January 2006 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mintae
    from a newbie:

omg. i think newbie must learn with manual first.
    i mean if we dont understand how to utilise the basic stuff,
    how to learn the mode and all that cheem cheem stuff!

or maybe cause you can afford,
    i cannot.

anyway i go by idiot proof method:

what you taking of (action vs still)
    action: priority shutter speed
    still: priority aperture
    -if you have tripod then even better cause if no tripod you must then consider your shutter speed that i learn from here, speed must be faster than 1/focal length so no shake.
    -then again you can use flash but some situations also cannot use.

anyway, get a small book to read. =)
    i take one picture can take 15times.
    super kiasu more than bracketing. LOL!
    chao newbie. chao waste film, chao waste MONEY.

but i like the smell of film
    Fuji Superia got very strong smell!
    lol smell too much later become high. i know what each function does but i don't understand the physics behind it. for me i'd rather understand how and why my camera do certain things when i set it differently, rather than just know what each function does and base on that compose a photo. i feel more satisfied that way. heh.

I thought that when you shoot in RAW format, you can adjust the WB to whatever you like in post-processing and so it doesn't matter which WB you use in shooting earlier?

For still pictures, I shoot at least 2 and most of the time 3 or 4 different exposures just in case, especially for night scenes which I've some problems reading the histogram correctly since it so skewed towards the dark side. Also because the LCD on my old Nikon Coolpix 5700 is so small (1.5") and I can't judge the exposure of fine details.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    I thought that when you shoot in RAW format, you can adjust the WB to whatever you like in post-processing and so it doesn't matter which WB you use in shooting earlier?
    it's better to get it right in camera than to waste more time in PS. even if wb is not perfect, at least u went some way to correct it and spend less afterwards on cpu processing. Some guys here shoot in the 100s, so the time really adds up a lot during batch processing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast