Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency exercise a waste of time?

Default Re: Emergency exercise a waste of time?

I think most of the older generations can't take this type of practise.....

From a practical point of view, why it was held on a Sunday at 630am. That is to prevent disruption to the work force. Imagine having it at peak hours on weekday..... Thousands would be late for work, companies would be making hell by calling and writing in to express their "disappointment" at how the exercise had disrupted their operations and caused losses in "millions" of dollars..... End of the day our government do take into account such practical reasons.....

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Although all exercises are for training purposes, it makes sense to start with a smaller scale one. A bit kelong like announcement also makes sense, to avoid real confusion.

Just like in the army, you start with some smaller scale training exercises first before going for a biggie exercise that will involve a division.

There is a higher chance of screwing up if the first exercise is a big one.
    this is so correct

this is the first time exercise of such nature is conducted in Singapore, it is only wise for it to be done at a time where few members of public are affected as the working and coordination between the various agencies and authorities must be smoothen out. there is no need to put down the exercise as being fake. for those who have been through NS, i am sure you guys are most familiar. having done this round, i am sure the authorities will plan for exercises to take place during more realistic situations.

Smile Re: Emergency exercise a waste of time?

more exercises involving different scenarios and perhaps, higher level of complexity and larger scale to be expected.

Well for one, Im impressed by the report by "Today" paper in which it pointed out some of the faults that the exercise revealed. Not trying to put the agencies down but such feedback is needed to retify working procedures so that in a real emergency such faults that can cost the loss of life do not happen.

It is no point trying to increase morale and keep stressing that the exercise was big success when there were a few very critical faults. One was the low quantity of protection masks for victims and they had to recycle masks from victims already brought out of the blast area.

Rather that we be open and admit our mistakes then to post big figures for the sake of morale boosting...

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    Well for one, Im impressed by the report by "Today" paper in which it pointed out some of the faults that the exercise revealed. Not trying to put the agencies down but such feedback is needed to retify working procedures so that in a real emergency such faults that can cost the loss of life do not happen.

It is no point trying to increase morale and keep stressing that the exercise was big success when there were a few very critical faults. One was the low quantity of protection masks for victims and they had to recycle masks from victims already brought out of the blast area.

Rather that we be open and admit our mistakes then to post big figures for the sake of morale boosting...
    Well, during training or exercise in this case, is the best time to have mistakes occur and thereafter learn from them. I'd rather they [ie concern agencies and parties] make mistakes now than to have it ripple or manifest during when the real deal happens.

Was reading ST forum page that someone asked that dates of exercise be made known in the name of reducing inconveniences. <shake head> If everybody like that, how to learn to due with the unexpected ?

Smile Re: Emergency exercise a waste of time?

yes, heard over the radio similiar gripe about not knowing it in advance. a woman said she was late for church service and that one day's advance notice should be given. i, shake head, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jykw
    Well, during training or exercise in this case, is the best time to have mistakes occur and thereafter learn from them. I'd rather they [ie concern agencies and parties] make mistakes now than to have it ripple or manifest during when the real deal happens.

Was reading ST forum page that someone asked that dates of exercise be made known in the name of reducing inconveniences. <shake head> If everybody like that, how to learn to due with the unexpected ?

I don't think it is a waste of time. In fact, I think it is a good start. The exercise cannot duplicate the actual situation (as mention by sammy888) but at least it give the agencies the practise and the chance to iron out issues arise from the execise.

If you watch the TV or read the paper, you will notices that people are rushing to board the bus and a lady was injured in the process. People complaining the inconvience cause to them because they do not know that there will be such an exercise (this was announce in TV and newspaper for the past weeks?).

From this exercise, I notices that
    1. Majority of people in Singapore are "selfish". Rushing to board the bus without consideration for others is just one example. This can be seen everyday too.
    2. People in Singapore complained that it inconvient them but never thought of the 2000+ people willing to sacrifise their Sunday to take part in this exercise.
    3. People in Singapore complained when the exercise affect their life. When it actually happen, they will complain that the agencies never prepare for it.
    4. People in Singapore are ignorance. Expect the government to take care of everythings.

In fact, it is never safe living in this world. Even staying at home can be dangerous. You never know when a plane might fall off from the sky and slammed into your home. You never know when the building will collapse. You never know when you will choke while on your food. Yes, these are extreme example but that is what the meaning of the word accident. We should be thankful when we wake up every morning because we have live though the night ..

I would like to say "Well Done" to those take part in this first exercise although there are room for improvement.

Hopefully future exercises will become more and more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    It's partly a waste of time, & partly not.

We all know that an exercise like this is too fake already, but no one wanna publicly admit it.

It's more like a "training" exercise than an "emergency" exercise. I'm sure everyone is already prepared for this the night before (do correct me if I'm wrong), down to the nurses in the hospitals. When a real emergency happens at that time of the day, I'm sure everyone will be at home sleeping soundly, with backgroud lightning & thunder.
    My comments are:

The objective of the 1st exercise cannot be for realism lah! That would be a very unrealistic expectation.

Let people Learn how to "walk" before you ask them to run!

Trying to force people to run before they know how to walk , can be a hazard to all..

Whether it is a "training" or "Emergency" exercise it is still an EXERCISE.

The degree of dificulty or realism in an exercise should commensurate with the familiarity and comfort level of all participants. The danger in any exercises can increases multi-fold with an increase in realism and non-familiarlity of the participants.

Checks and balances must be in place to ensure that the exercises objective can be attained without an unacceptable level of risks to the general public. I believe this exercise's objective is more procedural and familiarility oriented than realism.

I think the authority was prudent to forewarn the public and prepared the appropriate parties concerned..... it might be abit fake as you said but nothing is too fake till the public and participants are familiar with what is required of them in such an emergency before elevating the exercise to the next level of realism.

Incremental degree of realism will also ensure that discrepencies in supporting services, equipments and procedures, if any, can be ironed out and fine-tuned to meet a realtime situation.

While exercising in preparation for the worst, safely conducting such an emergency exercise is more important than for the want of better realism.

Last edited by Bluesteel; 10th January 2006 at 07:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12