Thread: Anyone using Achiever 260T with S602 SAFELY??

Default Anyone using Achiever 260T with S602 SAFELY??

Hi there,

I got a free 2nd hand Achiever 260T from my brother, but I've heard of the problems with it's strobe voltage.. I tried measuring it but sadly my multimeter was spoilt..

Anyway, anyone has been using these two, the 260T and S602 without any problems? I've taken a couple of shots so far and all seems well... although I did notice an electrical smell coming from the hotshoe (so I stopped using the flash)

Oh and the flash seems awfully bright for some reason...

One other thing is... what are the buttons infront of the flash supposed to do? My brother can't remember anymore...

I'm a bit too broke to go for any other flash though, unless it costs <40 bucks.. sigh...

How how? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ervine Lin

Off hand quite surely no.....as reported the trigger voltage of your Achiever 260T flash is 220V. Sweet spot for AF & DC Cameras is around 6~10V, to use the flash SAFELY you need a Wein SAFE SYNC adapter (which cost around 90-00 not practical unless you got to use it with a handfull of old flash).

I highly recommend you to get the Metz 32MZ-3, with the standard manual shoe and shoot in AUTO mode. This flash trigger voltage is between 3.3~6V & somemore can add on or change the SCA Adapter to suit most DC for TTL Operation. If one changes DC very often this is the one to get.

Rgds

Koishe

For what it's worth, I have 3 of the Achiever 260T and have measured the flash voltages on all of them. They are less than 5V. So don't worry.

The flash voltage reported on the flash voltage site was actually submitted by one of our CS members, who has subsequently mentioned to me that he might have been mistaken (or, to be charitable, his might have been a funny unit).

Your call.

It was me who reported 220V (measured correctly using a multimeter, other flashes, 115A/S, Metz 32Z1, Achiever 250DZ, I measured using the same technique had much lower voltages).

I didn't mistake the readings. But as Streetshooter has 3 which have much lower voltage, it's likely that mine (bought from AP) is faulty somewhere or from a very different batch. It's sold off to another guy who didn't mind the high voltages on my unit.

Anyway, to be safe, borrow a multimeter to measure the voltage. Flashes like Vivitar 283 have voltages ranging from 5V to 600V!!! for different batches.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    Last edited by mpenza; 11th November 2002 at 03:06 PM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by mpenza
    It was me who reported 220V (measured correctly using a multimeter, other flashes, 115A/S, Metz 32Z1, Achiever 251DZ, I measured using the same technique had much lower voltages).

I didn't mistake the readings. But as Streetshooter has 3 which have much lower voltage, it's likely that mine (bought from AP) is faulty somewhere or from a very different batch. It's sold off to another guy who didn't mind the high voltages on my unit.

Anyway, to be safe, borrow a multimeter to measure the voltage. Flashes like Vivitar 283 have voltages ranging from 5V to 600V!!! for different batches.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    Yes to be sure get measurement of your flash on hand to be use on your cam....same flash may give differing measurement.

As you mentioned got smell .....so do be carefull or you run the risk of frying your DC.

Koishe

Okay so just get the multimeter and probe my flash.. if it's in the safe range then can right?

Okay then how about the buttons in the front of the flash, what do they do?

Sigh...

It measured in at 60.5Vs... that's like 10x higher than the safe limit right? Guess I need to invest on another one then...

someone did say the 602Z can withstand up to 400V. not too sure how reliable is the source though.

Huh.. how to confirm? I don't really have enough money left to invest in a new flash lehs...

2 options.... take the risk or sell off the flash to buy another.

Fellow 260T & 602 users, what's ur take?

Read this thread, which is about the 6900, but it should apply to the 602 also.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=2086459

Originally posted by enivre
    Fellow 260T & 602 users, what's ur take?
    change flash
    not worth harming your $1000 dc bec of it...