Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 38111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladders - Useful but a Hazard to Public?

Default Re: Ladders - Useful but a Hazard to Public?

Aiy, I should hope the mods close the thread before it becomes a flame war.

Points have been made, clarified and debated. Think its enough.

Peace to all before the CNY.

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    Nah, most if not all photographers sinned one way or another. Hence, I seriously doubt the prospect of flying cameras under normal circumstances.

yup.. i m sure most of us in one way or another.. are guilty of some bad practices..
    alot of times, we onli see the behaviour of others, but fail to c ourselves....

Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    well said.......... ultimately.. the thread is about photographers who use ladders in the front .. and not about photographers etc etc.. think if we read back the few pages.. there is a slight digression liao.......
    upz for u... for having very clear mind on this cold late nite

well said.......... ultimately.. the thread is about photographers who use ladders in the front .. and not about photographers etc etc.. think if we read back the few pages.. there is a slight digression liao.......
    Thanks Will for summarizing the thread so succinctly. BUT...insinuations had been made with regards to a certain photo on a previous page....and in that picture, do we see any misbehaving photogs or photogs on ladders? Or any ladders at all for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by acidbyte
    Just like you ban chewing gum, still got bring in, so just prevent lor. For this case, management may just have to just take a walk down the front rows to make sure photographers are not on ladders obstructing the view then let the show begin. THen all will be happy.
    OT a bit, just for your info, chewing gum is no longer banned in singapore, it can be buy from pharmacy now.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

from tat thread seems the ladders disappeared (thank goodness to this thread....)

so did everyone in the crowd manage to watch the performance this time?

There's more to being a good photographer then just taking good pictures - it's how you managed to get those shots.

Quote Originally Posted by hazekang
    from tat thread seems the ladders disappeared (thank goodness to this thread....)

so did everyone in the crowd manage to watch the performance this time?
    I got slimed by a little girl eating her Subway ...

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Thanks Will for summarizing the thread so succinctly. BUT...insinuations had been made with regards to a certain photo on a previous page....and in that picture, do we see any misbehaving photogs or photogs on ladders? Or any ladders at all for that matter?
    seriously hor. the only time i really c alot of ladders being used is during the SFW.
    anyway... just read the first post of this thread again.
    its about the wheelchair bound lady who tried to catch a glimpse of the performance.
    Even with no ladders, even with no photographers, how many people (members of the public) will actually give up a space for her to watch the performance ?
    To me, its a question about civic mindedness of all Singaporeans..

Likewise, for the photographer who ignored her, did he really ignore her ? or he did not realise it too ? lets not be too judgemental..

anyway, have been too bz recently to drop by RC for the performance in the past week, from wat i c in the photos.. the crowd seems quite tame liao..

seriously hor. the only time i really c alot of ladders being used is during the SFW.
    anyway... just read the first post of this thread again.
    its about the wheelchair bound lady who tried to catch a glimpse of the performance.
    Even with no ladders, even with no photographers, how many people (members of the public) will actually give up a space for her to watch the performance ?
    To me, its a question about civic mindedness of all Singaporeans..

Likewise, for the photographer who ignored her, did he really ignore her ? or he did not realise it too ? lets not be too judgemental..

anyway, have been too bz recently to drop by RC for the performance in the past week, from wat i c in the photos.. the crowd seems quite tame liao..
    OT: BZ meh... or issit you prefer those whom you can direct.

And I agree, it a matter of everyone being more being more civic minded.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    "Temporary" ban on ladders or photography? You haven't made yourself clear in your statement. For one thing, I am definitely advocating against the usage of ladders at such events. There are all sorts of photographers out there, 'good' as well as 'bad'. The more considerate photogs will set up their ladders generally behind the majority of the crowd. Of course, a few inconsiderate ones will just plant their ladders anywhere they please, regardless of crowd etc. So this would create a 'ripple' effect, the photogs behind on ladders will find their view being blocked and thus will tend to shift nearer to the stage, and then result in a 'wall' blocking some of the general public's view.

I do not think it is fair to have a blanket ban on photography at such free events, be it fashion shows, cultural performances or what have you. This is a free for all show, for everyone to view and enjoy, and some people would definitely want to use their handphone cam, digicam, P&S cam, video cam to record the event for posterity if they want to. The management of the shopping centre would have to employ extra security guards/workers to run around yelling at people not to shoot the performance. Do you think the general public would be happy at being told to put away their handphones or cameras? The crowd would be lesser as a result. I remember one weekend fashion show at Paragon which totally banned any types of photography, handphone cams included, as a result the crowd was quite small.

I think the presence of photographers in the crowd definitely add to the "glamour" factor of the event and will attract more onlookers, certainly the organisers of such events would like to attract as many people to view the show as possible. Sometmes such events are organised in conjunction with stalls or booths in the vicinity selling products or services, and this would also help in pulling the crowds in and indirectly boost sales for the shops and stalls in the shopping centre itself.

In short, I think a 'blanket' ban on photography at these kind of events is unfeasible and will not work. The root cause of the problem is not just ladders, but inconsiderate and 'ugly' photographers, just these few 'black sheep' and it seems that you are indirectly pointing the finger at all photographers who shoot at such events, regardless of whether they are on ladders or not.
    Well as mentioned, the worst case scenerio is ban all who has no permission to shoot. This will force the photographers to write in and register to all the building management. Only this way will the UGLY photographers behave themselves in the public.

If the management find it a nuisiance created by some monkeys, then they will ban them for future shootsl. In fact they might even created a place just for photographers to shoot but only those who register with them.

Hope those who are using ladders now will not bring them for future shoots. My media friends will be so delighted to cover a story like that on Today or ST anytime about ugly photographers with ladders as they are always searching for the happening stories around Singapore.

I was chatting with a ladder user who was defending the use of the ladder.
    [00:37:54] <ladderman> hi
    [00:37:58] <ladderman> i want to remind you all
    [00:38:04] <ladderman> that there is nothing wrong with me using a ladder
    [00:38:13] <ladderman> there is no law stating that i cant use a ladder

Though there is no law stating it, I think that you need to get your shots, but maybe need to consider those around/

hahahahahahaha

i see a lot of people using monopod for 70-200/2.8 which is not necessary. this lens is not that heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam

Though there is no law stating it, I think that you need to get your shots, but maybe need to consider those around/
    The person is wrong. It is called obstruction and can be dealt with the various laws on nuisance behavior.

It is not about using a ladder, it about how the ladder is used and the person using it. Law is being used too frivolously here.

Well no law but building management can and will enforced it anytime when they think it's an obstruction. So, those who still thinks it's a wise idea go ahead with it.

To me, if I am one of crowd and I see an obstruction blocking my view, I will approach the management instantly and make a big fuss out of it.

I was at Raffles City today for the 1300 hr show. Maybe this thread has got some effect - no one was standing on ladders/stool or whatever.

Shows that this discussion has got some effect and the photo community in general have got some good civic behavior (maybe someone else has got a better term for this). I should have taken a pic and post it here - we would have a before and after pics to show.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

nice to hear that someting was done.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    I was at Raffles City today for the 1300 hr show. Maybe this thread has got some effect - no one was standing on ladders/stool or whatever.

Shows that this discussion has got some effect and the photo community in general have got some good civic behavior (maybe someone else has got a better term for this). I should have taken a pic and post it here - we would have a before and after pics to show.
    I am glad the members in our community have at least taken some advice and not to be selfish towards the public. Good on the Ex-Ladder Gang.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 38111213141518 ... LastLast