View Poll Results: Entry level equiment are use only by newbie

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

24 15.19%
  • no

134 84.81%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the equipment you use determine if you are a newbie?

Default Re: Do the equiment you use determine if you are newbie?

Preferably a 12MP brain.

First of all, you need the brains to make enough $ and pay for one(camera) Or to cheat/bluff/steal one......

Not to mention you definitely need the best brains to make/create one(full frame dslr)

I'm not saying ppl cannot use D2X on auto, just that I want support my point that there are some user of high end cam who brought the cam after ppl tell them it a good cam and they have the cash to spare but can't use other mode other then auto.

if you feel offended, I'm sorry

So what about P mode?
    P mode = Pro mode
    A mode = Auto mode
    S mode = Simple mode
    M mode = Multi mode
    Isn't it?

This one very important looking guy came up to me with his 20D and big fat sigma 24-70 lens and asked me to take a pic of him and GF at botanical gardens. The guy twisted the focus ring and said "this one for blur - sharp adjust". He was complaining about soft photos. I just put the thing in AF and shot. Put it back in MF and returned it. The guy was trying to sound important to his GF, so I left it at that. Didn't try explaining. [yes, this really happened]

Ever heard about a guy who went to a shop to buy a 1Ds Mark II and ask the shopkeeper to explain how to use it?
    eat. drink. shoot

I know one of my in-law relatives having a whole damn garage of cars with full time mechs and care-takers (labour is cheap over there anyway) and he doesn't drive them much. Indonesia lar, people kidnap you. Lives on the same street as Megawatti and Suharto.... But bo bian, too much money. I gave up counting the number of cars.

One thingy perculiar is that the daughter can use imitation LV/Chanel and stuff bought from Jakarta and Seoul. The thing is, who dares to say that they are imitation when their garage is as big as a HDB MSCP storey? (dun even mention the house or the compound)

So to the original question, not really lar. Same goes to pro equipment. Anyway, I am shooting with sigma and tokina.
    Last edited by 2100; 8th January 2006 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Ever heard about a guy who went to a shop to buy a 1Ds Mark II and ask the shopkeeper to explain how to use it?
    y is this not possible? as with a new cam, the buttons maybe located differently and some may hide in one corner and the others in another corner. And wats more, if he cant get any others to lend him the cam to play with, of course he will need some assistance from the shopkeeper to use it.
    and further, if he is using other brands previously, changing to this one sure will dunno where the buttons are

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    y is this not possible? as with a new cam, the buttons maybe located differently and some may hide in one corner and the others in another corner. And wats more, if he cant get any others to lend him the cam to play with, of course he will need some assistance from the shopkeeper to use it.
    and further, if he is using other brands previously, changing to this one sure will dunno where the buttons are
    u've misunderstood me. i meant that the person wanted the shopkeeper to explain to him what all the buttons meant, etcect
    eat. drink. shoot

u've misunderstood me. i meant that the person wanted the shopkeeper to explain to him what all the buttons meant, etcect
    icic...i got wat u mean now..ok, then this seems more weird for a person buying 1dmk2

Quote Originally Posted by clarinet
    Recently heard somewhere that a equiment determine if the photographer is a newbie or not. For example, entry level DSLR like 300D, 350D and D50 are use only by newbie.... Just want to see how many hold this view.

Cheer
    I have seen shots the same subject from a pro body that are CRAP and shots from a entry level body that are top notch. It's the photog not the equipment that makes the shot eye catching.

Nothing wrong with that ...

Nowadays cam are getting more and more complicated and needs to read up first before you can fully understands most functions ... yeap read the manual .. They are many who brought it and dun bother to read and keep asking questions that can be found in the manual ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

I know this is a generalisation but I guess pros will take more shots and mess less with the equipment. Newbies will mess more with equipment and take less shots. Or to put it another way, newbies hide behind their equipment, whereas equipment are just tools to the pro.

Recently heard somewhere that a equiment determine if the photographer is a newbie or not. For example, entry level DSLR like 300D, 350D and D50 are use only by newbie.... Just want to see how many hold this view.

Cheer
    I know of ppl who use so-called 'entry level' DSLRs like 300D, 350D, D50, Minolta 5D with great photos.

I'd heard and know ppl who buy Canon 5D, 1-series, D70s, D2x, D2H and they don't even know their basics like handheld techniques and even basic flash photography. Picture blur, they blame camera, not themselves.

U can't determine the person's skill alone by the equipment he holds, but how he carries himself, his attitude and his photos. If equipment determines a person's skill, that has got to be the most shallow form of judgement ever.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by coolegg
    Then my next question is: how about P-mode? Some people say only newbie use P-mode, what is your view?
    'Professional mode' makes learning easier, and it gives some leeway when u feel lazy.

I do touch Professional mode at times. But when I'm feeling extremely lazy. 95% of the time it's Aperture priority cos it gives me control over DOF.

I favour Aperture-priority mode too because from 1/250-1/8000 there usually isn't much of a difference in most cases. f2.8 to f4 is quite a bit of difference though. If I need to adjust shutter speed than I would rather use manual than shutter-priority, i somehow just don't like Program and shutter priority mode.

I'm probably a control freak but I like to do as much as possible and only let the camera do what is difficult for me to do quickly, like metering and focusing for instance. Else I like to know that the image will turn out this way or that way because I've instructed the camera to do this or that. It's that assurance that I like. Some people probably hate this style of shooting so I really don't think there's anything wrong with P.

Asking the shop keeper how to use the camera really seems ok to me. I needed to read the manual to discover all the functions on my camera so I guess if you're too lazy to do that you would definitely need to ask someone. The shop assistant would probably be in the best position to help here because he's paid to do it.

Btw, I think that the Nikon D50 and the 350D are actually very capable cameras and can do probably 90-95% of what a professional body can. Professional bodies are only rugged and operate better in terms of ergonomics but I think with the same settings, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a MKIIn image and a 350D image. I would get one myself as back-up if I had the spare cash.
    Last edited by Stoned; 8th January 2006 at 07:03 PM.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

I know there alot of long time photographer are using these too... But I also see AD looking for photographer but their requiment is those using entry level cam are not allow...

That why I want to see how many ppl are holding this tinted view

oh, that guy sounded rather snobbish. I can't even be bothered to quote him.

It's got to be the most rubbish crap I've ever heard. What's more he didn't even bother to ask to see portfolio. As if having a "pro" camera automatically means portfolio is guaranteed good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Btw, I think that the Nikon D50 and the 350D are actually very capable cameras and can do probably 90-95% of what a professional body can. Professional bodies are only rugged and operate better in terms of ergonomics but I think with the same settings, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a MKIIn image and a 350D image. I would get one myself as back-up if I had the spare cash.
    Actually its not only a matter of ergonomics. Better cameras, u CAN actually see the difference in the photos where things like colour, noise level, etc.

Well, I'm talking abt good photos which are 'see-able'. Not a crap photo taken by someone who holds a SLR like he's holding a PnS - 2 hands on the body, major handshake, wrong exposures, wrong focusing and all usual problems u see with a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by reminisce

It's got to be the most rubbish crap I've ever heard. What's more he didn't even bother to ask to see portfolio. As if having a "pro" camera automatically means portfolio is guaranteed good.
    Last time ppl ask to see photos.
    Now ppl ask to see equipment.

I believe all of us here experienced this when other ppl see ur photos, they immediately go, "Wah.... wad camera u use har? PRO CAMERA AH? Wah~~ My camera cannot make it."

See? Ppl just hop straight onto the topic of camera and not focus on the picture & composition.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Not a crap photo taken by someone who holds a SLR like he's holding a PnS - 2 hands on the body, major handshake, wrong exposures, wrong focusing and all usual problems u see with a newbie.
    Just because someone is new to the hobby doesn't mean s/he has no talent and/or no grasp of what they're doing. Not to flame you - I just think such formulations as above may give newcomers the impression that others look down on them.

Quote Originally Posted by reminisce

just to clearify, I not sure which guy are u refering to. The AD in my post refers to some advertisment.

I agree to this... Yesterday just saw a D2X user on auto...
    What's wrong with auto, P mode? as long I get the shot I want, why bother I using what mode I used? same as what camera I use?

nothing worng... but when i chat with him, he say he brough this cam cos ppl tell him it good... but he say until now he still dunno how to use other mode... so stick on to auto lor
    Exactly, if you own a 1Ds or D2X, does this mean you are a seasonal, experience, professional photographer now?

Don't bother about people what think, just concentrate what you can produce with the equipment you're owning now.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast