Thread: flash and bounce card

Default flash and bounce card

i am shooting potratits and not sure when to use bounce cards.
    can anyone pls help

Default Re: flash and bounce card

Instead of aiming the flash head directly at your subject, aim the flash upwards and use the bounce card to 'bounce' the flash off it. You alternatively can use an omnibounce to diffuse the harsh flash.

Hope this answers your questions.

or you can also use a softbox for direct flash.

Or use a LightSphere II™

Quote Originally Posted by yumyum
    i am shooting potratits and not sure when to use bounce cards.
    can anyone pls help
    Bounce card (size about 4"×6" type)can use indoor or outdoor, for outdoor, if subject is too far away (about 15' away), just shoot with direct flash.

For indoor, when to use bounce card, any time also can, all depend on your taste.

A basic rule for using softbox, if you need a soft lighting effect, the softbox need to be same size as the subject, eg, if you shoot a half body portrait, you need to use a 3'×3' softbox, and if the softbox is closer to the subject, the lighting will be softer. and if the light is far away from the subject, it will be harsher.

This is the reason if I need to shoot indoor portraits with hotshoe flash, I will prefer to use ceiling bounce, the whole ceiling become a softbox, it will give a very soft lighting effect.

Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    This is the reason if I need to shoot indoor portraits with hotshoe flash, I will prefer to use ceiling bounce, the whole ceiling become a softbox, it will give a very soft lighting effect.

Hope this help.
    Provided that the ceiling is in white colour, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Provided that the ceiling is in white colour, right?
    Understood lar.

yup, an alternative would be the 'Flip-It' that PPCP is selling at the moment ...

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    Flip-it! The ULTIMATE flash tool!
    View Sample Images Here

The FLIP-IT! Exclusively sold by PPCP and no one else in Singapore! It's the ONLY flash bounce system that allows you to have FULL light angle control from your own flash gun! Don't get boring flat images with diffused light that is almost unrealistically even, get some shadows, angles where you want the light to hit to bring out the features of faces, and gradient-lighting effects! You can do it with the Flip-it! The latest flash product to hit the Singapore market and definitely one that will be of GREAT use to the wedding photographer - it's the Flip-it!
    **The BIG-Flip! is a larger version of the FLIP-it! and can be mounted on bowls - ie. Quantum Q-Flash. BIG-Flip and Flip-it are the same price.
    SGD$49.90 Only!
    ORDER HERE
    View Sample Images Here

Anyone tried bounce card with soft box? What is the result?
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt
    yup, an alternative would be the 'Flip-It' that PPCP is selling at the moment ...

well, maybe can use the sticky belcro on the flash and the other side of belcro on the bounce card , so in this way, can oso rotae the card, no need to buy the item so X.

Quote Originally Posted by yumyum
    well, maybe can use the sticky belcro on the flash and the other side of belcro on the bounce card , so in this way, can oso rotae the card, no need to buy the item so X.
    An el-cheapo bounce card would be using a blank piece of paper, cutting it into a size appropriate for your flash, then laminate it. Cut strips of velcro and attach it to your flashhead and bounce card. Sticking whichever side of the velcro to the flash and card depends on you. And voila, your card is done.