Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Provia 100F and Reala

Default Re: Provia 100F and Reala

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    Even after printing of the neg, it has gone through a step of intepretation by a machine on how colours should appear. while for the slide, digitised then printed, 2 steps (assuming PS for both then 3 steps). How can u compare that to the slide? u can't. there is no comparision when they are different.
    Actually the idea is to digitize them with a scanner, there is no printing in the process. so there is just 1 step to convert both of them to digital. So there should be some comparison to make, shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Have shot all 3 before.
    Grain wise, on reala is larger than provia (fine version).

Reala colours seem muted, coz of the larger dynamic range that can be recorded, making the same image look less contrasty.
    Hmm, this is interesting. So it does seem that you'll still have to sacrifice range for grain.

Since I started having this idea (owing to the cost of E-6 processing), there seem to be more in agreement that the slide film does have a finer grain when scanned.

I don't think provia and reala look the same. Provia has much richer colour saturation and greater contrast. Velvia 100F actually looks alright for people IMO, but velvia 50 is a definite no-no. I enjoy photographing people with provia and velvia 100F. I like the way it looks.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by st11x
    Actually the idea is to digitize them with a scanner, there is no printing in the process. so there is just 1 step to convert both of them to digital. So there should be some comparison to make, shouldn't it?

Hmm, this is interesting. So it does seem that you'll still have to sacrifice range for grain.

Since I started having this idea (owing to the cost of E-6 processing), there seem to be more in agreement that the slide film does have a finer grain when scanned.
    If grain matters to you, use digital instead. Else any film will do.
    Slides always look good.

Take a look at this website for some interesting articles on scanning. The author feels that scanning from slides has the advantage that the colors on the slides are easily reflected correctly in the scanning, whereas scanning for negatives, different negatives types have different enough characteristics that lots for tuning for color accuracy must be done. This he mentioned is also why software like Vuescan which allows the user to pick the exact film type used will give better results than others that don't. http://www.kenrockwell.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12