Thread: Why the neon trail?

Default Why the neon trail?

I am curious why there is a neon trail. I took this pic using a tripod, so it is definitely not movement. Anyone knows?

Default Re: Why the neon trail?

hmmm cool!!!

internal reflections probably?

should be either lens internal rflection or filter reflection.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

It might be due to filter reflection or internal optics replaection given the relatively high adjcennt angle of the neon light.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Haha if its an internal reflection due to the filter (if you were using one) you're pretty lucky. The effect is very surreal... like something from those old ghostbuster movies!

Usually internal reflections occur as bright globs somewhere else in the frame...and are pretty ugly. I havent seen it occur this way, adjacent to the source.

Whatever the cause may be, you are fortunate it kinda enhanced your pix. First, it appeared at a place where it seemed it should be, at the same time it kinda became a fill-in for the dark upper right corner, which helped make the picture more complete.

Are you using a remote or by pressing the shutter release button?
    It could be because of the slight camera shake during the long exposure.
    The neon sign board was the brightest and affected most.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon
    should be either lens internal rflection or filter reflection.
    agree!

Quote Originally Posted by wiz23
    agree!

Yup that is more the reason for it plus...I suspect the picture was shot with the apeture all open up to the max. This would mean that the full curvature of the lens cames into play which makes it even more susceptive to to internal refraction and burn-out glows. This usually happens near the edge of the picture.

Ya...I had a UV filter fixed onto my lens. As for how I depressed the shutter, I set my D100 on timer. I was too lazy to screw on my remote release.

Initially, I did not think of it as nice. When I first saw it on my LCD, I thought there was a ghost.
    Last edited by Madmax; 7th January 2006 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Yup that is more the reason for it plus...I suspect the picture was shot with the apeture all open up to the max. This would mean that the full curvature of the lens cames into play which makes it even more susceptive to to internal refraction and burn-out glows. This usually happens near the edge of the picture.
    Setting was F16 - 10 secs (actually a little too long).

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax
    Setting was F16 - 10 secs (actually a little too long).
    Wah!....and a D100 somemore. I thought maybe it was a P&S or Prosumer camera. But a D100??!! heheh... that really stump me. But then again...it could be still refraction

Wah!....and a D100 somemore. I thought maybe it was a P&S or Prosumer camera. But a D100??!! heheh... that really stump me. But then again...it could be still refraction
    why can't an image shot with d100 have internal reflections? it's lens dependant.. not body.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    why can't an image shot with d100 have internal reflections? it's lens dependant.. not body.
    It is not CAN'T happen but when you first take a look at this and no details were given. The first thing that comes to mind is it might be due to it being a P&S. And having started with a P&S myself when I gone digital and having owned a few digital camera, I have had a number of refraction, focusing and artifact situation using them then compared to when I am using my SLRs or DSLR. But I do maintain, it is still could be a refraction issue.

Thinking further I am just wonder it one of the elements has a fogging at that time. The foggy made the glass dense enough to act like a projected screen....thus capturing a faint projected image.
    Last edited by sammy888; 7th January 2006 at 01:11 PM.

I think, as u suggested, it could be that he shot it at a wide aperture. It also depends on the lens construction. What lens did u use, Madmax?

Even D100 or 200 cannot prevent flares/ghosting caused by the lens

Quote Originally Posted by wiz23
    I think, as u suggested, it could be that he shot it at a wide aperture. It also depends on the lens construction. What lens did u use, Madmax?

Even D100 or 200 cannot prevent flares/ghosting caused by the lens
    Nothing fancy...just the cheap but fabulous (IMHO) 18-70 DX.