Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Noobies here... it's my first A520 night out... raining some more ... Please give me some idea to improve, thank you very much





  2. #2
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Hi daden,

    First of all, try to label or number your photos so that other can post their comment more easily as they can refer to the label or number.

    My comment is Picture number 1 and 3 (in running sequence as according to your post) looks slightly overexposed at the background. What ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperature setting did you use? Did you use any filter?

    Not too sure if you need to resize photo number 2 as according to the guidelines.

    Overall, it is very good, No.1 has the potential. Maybe you can try to crop it so as to exclude the bridge at the right hand side. Good attempt.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    113

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    I really don't know what is the subject of any of the three picture! Its either normal or meaningless good try and a520 is one of my favourite too HAhaha
    http://d0n84.deviantart.com/
    Don't Follow The Rules Just Trust Your Instinct

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Hi there very sharp pictures! i like #3 but composition could be better IMO. Personally I like the lights and colors on the building!
    My **flickr Album

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    cockroach-infested parsee lees
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    agree with francis247's comments, wish to add that lighting of pic 1 is good except for overexposure in the overall pic. also you should turn your date/time stamp off. windows XP (or many other software, if not the one bundled with your camera) can give you details of your pics if needed.
    Many are culled, few are chosen

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Hi daden,

    First of all, try to label or number your photos so that other can post their comment more easily as they can refer to the label or number.

    My comment is Picture number 1 and 3 (in running sequence as according to your post) looks slightly overexposed at the background. What ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperature setting did you use? Did you use any filter?

    Not too sure if you need to resize photo number 2 as according to the guidelines.

    Overall, it is very good, No.1 has the potential. Maybe you can try to crop it so as to exclude the bridge at the right hand side. Good attempt.
    Hi Francis,
    Thanks for the your sincere inputs,
    Pic.1 DATA
    ISO I set to auto
    shutter speed 4''
    aperture f/3.2
    no filter used... still don't know which to for what and which to buy first...

    Pic.3 DATA
    ISO auto
    S speed 4''
    aperture f/6.3

    Mr Moderator... I'm sorry coz my 2nd pic is too big. Thanks for reminding me Francis.

    How to avoid the overexposure? Thanks!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by d0n84
    I really don't know what is the subject of any of the three picture! Its either normal or meaningless good try and a520 is one of my favourite too HAhaha
    Thanks Don! Nice picture you got in your flickr... Got to learn to be more creative. Please visits my humble flickr with the username ad3n84

  8. #8
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Hi daden,

    Just to clarify, is your camera Canon Powershot A520? If yes, I don't think it have the thread for filters to screw on (please correct me if I am wrong because I base my assumption from dpreview website) and also, I thought that the aperature range is from f2.6-f5.5 based on the review.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbok
    Hi there very sharp pictures! i like #3 but composition could be better IMO. Personally I like the lights and colors on the building!
    Thanks Jimborange for the encouragement, nice pics you've got inthe flickr...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Hi daden,

    Just to clarify, is your camera Canon Powershot A520? If yes, I don't think it have the thread for filters to screw on (please correct me if I am wrong because I base my assumption from dpreview website) and also, I thought that the aperature range is from f2.6-f5.5 based on the review.
    Errr, abt the filter I'm not really sure... but abt the f stops I just copy paste it from the my pics summary in windows. Yep it's my beloved A520... btw I need to upgrade soon, what do you think of KM Dimage A2? or PS G5/6? Please pm me or email me to ad3n84@yahoo.com if you got extra miles to help the noobie here
    Thanks.

  11. #11
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    so do you use night mode on the camera or manually set the settings?


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy
    agree with francis247's comments, wish to add that lighting of pic 1 is good except for overexposure in the overall pic. also you should turn your date/time stamp off. windows XP (or many other software, if not the one bundled with your camera) can give you details of your pics if needed.
    Thanks man! Abt the date stamp... really careless abt it, hehehehe... just back from holiday, need some momento, so I turned it on... Thanks for the comments!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    so do you use night mode on the camera or manually set the settings?
    usually for night mode I choose the Tv (shutter priority) but sets the focus manually. Used timer and tripod to minimize the vibration. Just a simple noobie's tricks

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    so do you use night mode on the camera or manually set the settings?
    Just take a look at your pbase gallery and WAOW!! loved it!

  15. #15
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by daden
    How to avoid the overexposure? Thanks!
    Hi Daden,

    Based on what I see, I believe that your overexposure is possibly due to
    1. Metering System
    2. ISO Setting to Auto.
    Because your background is dark, the metering system might be fool to using a higher ISO which in turn is more sensivity to light. Based on the setting, I see that your shutter speed is rather slow and also your aperature is big in some sense.

    Some way you can try is
    1. Set ISO to slightly slower (50, 100 or 200) or
    2. you can try to have a slighter faster shutter speed
    3. turn down the aperature to the smallest
    4. hand-held some filters (not highly recommended, but can try)
    5. Do bracketing if possible.

    This is just some of my views. I believe there are others who are more pro that can shred some light here.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  16. #16
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by daden
    usually for night mode I choose the Tv (shutter priority) but sets the focus manually. Used timer and tripod to minimize the vibration. Just a simple noobie's tricks
    Very well done. You sure do know the basics and tricks.
    Practise more and you will improve and also learn from the pros here.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    No comments for no.2 friends? Personally kinda like it, at that night gave me some spooky feeling of being FREEZED!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Very well done. You sure do know the basics and tricks.
    Practise more and you will improve and also learn from the pros here.
    BIG Thanks for bro Francis! Thanks for your gracious encouragement and tricks shared. Very eager to learned more from all the 'sifu' and pros here... Have a blessed Sunday for all of you!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    i cant offer advice on digital cams, 'cos i dont use any. but for a newbie, dont worry about filters first. shoot something u can make a decent picture of, practise basic compositional/exposure skills, fully exhaust the capabilities of the camera.
    then think about extending it with filters/external flash/etc. it's just a suggestion to have urself not get overwhelmed by bits of equipment & notes of what to do/how to use and purely concentrate on making a decent picture. though if u feel u can handle everything, go for it.

  20. #20

    Default Re: arnd Fullerton from Raffles MRT EXIT H

    Try to work on your composition.
    Try to frame your subject and don't include too much unnecessary details.
    Shoot more, look at how other people shoot landscape and soon you will
    improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •