Thread: Calling those who are studying or studied in US/Canada, Aussie/NZ

Default Calling those who are studying or studied in US/Canada, Aussie/NZ

Which is the best place to go here for advice on studying undergrad/post-grad at the respective countries, ie US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand?

The questions interested are which universities are popular/recognized for a particular course, their admission criteria, etc.

I know they have some study fairs but often the representatives usually dish out general advice and also they are from selected universities only.

In the US, there are hundreds of unis and colleges! Is there someone whom I can go to speak regarding the choice of apprpriate unis, etc? The USEIC told me I gotta pay like S$37 for a 1/2 hr consultation?! PHEW! I won't mind paying but that's kinda steep. Any other means?

For Canada, I emailed the representatives of Canadian education but the reply was I should check it out myself from the unis themselves! With so many unis, I find that's time-consuming.

Please advise... THANNKS V MUCH!

Default Re: Calling those who have studied/r studying in US/Canada, Aussie/NZ

The US side have the top college rankings. Check out the faculty that you want to enter, take a look at the sch brochures and the area they are in. Also see what kind of requirement do they need for you to get in.

Study fairs are a joke. Do you own research.

It really depends on what area of study you want to go into. For banking sector, the universities in the US are recognised the highest, even for Singapore employment.

Just look at several factors which will determine where you go.

1. Budget. There will be a very big difference in tuition fees if you choose to study in UK vs US vs Australia. Get a rough idea of the amout of money you'll need annually and throughout your course.

2. Employment. Where do you want to work in the future? If you want to work overseas, then study overseas. Study in the country you want to find employment in, as I believe you'll have an advantage as a fresh grad when finding employment.

3. Area of study. Different universities have different speciality areas. What's your interest?

Personally, I feel that studying in a good US college would be the best option if you were looking to study overseas. I believe that the quality of education as well as oppurtunity for future employment / job prospects is the best. Most people, myself included, choose Australia because the tuition fees and living costs are considerably lower than the US and UK.

I spent 3 years of my life in California studying. Really enjoyed myself. It was an enriching experience and personal development both on and off campus.

California is an expensive place to study. U can try U of Arizona ( but summer is hot) ; U of Missouri at Columbia ( has good journalism sch too esp photo journalism) ; U of Arkansas; U of Florida; U of Kansas; Ohio state; U of Iowa

Default Re: Calling those who are studying or studied in US/Canada, Aussie/NZ

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Which is the best place to go here for advice on studying undergrad/post-grad at the respective countries, ie US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand?

The questions interested are which universities are popular/recognized for a particular course, their admission criteria, etc.

I know they have some study fairs but often the representatives usually dish out general advice and also they are from selected universities only.

In the US, there are hundreds of unis and colleges! Is there someone whom I can go to speak regarding the choice of apprpriate unis, etc? The USEIC told me I gotta pay like S$37 for a 1/2 hr consultation?! PHEW! I won't mind paying but that's kinda steep. Any other means?

For Canada, I emailed the representatives of Canadian education but the reply was I should check it out myself from the unis themselves! With so many unis, I find that's time-consuming.

Please advise... THANNKS V MUCH!
    I studied in Canada a few long years ago. PM me if you need help with specific recommendations.

Default Re: Calling those who are studying or studied in US/Canada, Aussie/NZ

When making a choice, one important thing to consider is the locality of the university.

Some universities are located in really out of the way places or cities. Nothing for miles around the uni and the uni is pretty much self contained. Hostels, cafe, book store, etc.... Ask yourself and if you can go for a short trip there first to see if you can take it.

Many people dont take this into consideration but trust me when u are going to spend 2 years and more there. IT REALLY MATTERS!

Most of us take the convinence of Singapore for granted. We live in a city, even though we are living in Jurong or Pasir Ris, we are still considered as within a city. Some of the unis that you are going to are so ulu that you can see cows walking past..... of course not on the grounds but around it.

I had friends who transferred unis because they couldnt take the quiet life. It was too boring for them.... and besides being alone there, it was really depressing.