Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Photograhy course

Phildate
    Guests

Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    In my opinion, "basic" courses are a waste of money. There is so much good information out there in manuals, books, and online (mostly for free!), which one can go through at one's own pace.
    I think it depends on what sort of learner you are. Ten years of teaching experience has taught me that most people learn in different ways. There are those that can pick up a book, read it and learn. Some people need to listen to someone explain things and there are some who need to be shown and then do it hands on. Many people learn best when there are a combination of visual, auditory and kinesthic elements present. On my introductory course, there are always notes and a display to look at, me talking and hands on practise.

Many students who have been on my courses have tried reading their camera manual but not got past page two. An introductory course for them has been just that, an introduction and from there they have been able to access other materials and progress much faster.

My advice would be to know what sort of learner you are and then use that to ensure you get the best from books/courses/videos/forums etc...
    Last edited by Phildate; 11th January 2006 at 07:50 PM.

so actually ur paying the teacher to read u the manual, which is fine if it helps ur understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    I think it depends on what sort of learner you are. Ten years of teaching experience has taught me that most people learn in different ways. There are those that can pick up a book, read it and learn. Some people need to listen to someone explain things and there are some who need to be shown and then do it hands on. Many people learn best when there are a combination of visual, auditory and kinesthic elements present. On my introductory course, there are always notes and a display to look at, me talking and hands on practise.

Many students who have been on my courses have tried reading their camera manual but not got past page two. An introductory course for them has been just that, an introduction and from there they have been able to access other materials and progress much faster.

My advice would be to know what sort of learner you are and then use that to ensure you get the best from books/courses/videos/forums etc...
    As i have said earlier in this thread, i have been on Phildates course and it dramticaly helped me with my photography, i think its because he was a teacher so therefore as developed the many skills required in teaching and applied it to photography, thus making the course excellent for all types of people. I would really reccommend to anyone who is looking for a good start into photography, and its much more than just reading the manual out loud!!!

Phildate
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    so actually ur paying the teacher to read u the manual, which is fine if it helps ur understanding
    I pity you if this was your educational experience. I am sure good teachers do more than just read the textbook/manual out.

Phildate
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    As i have said earlier in this thread, i have been on Phildates course and it dramticaly helped me with my photography, i think its because he was a teacher so therefore as developed the many skills required in teaching and applied it to photography, thus making the course excellent for all types of people. I would really reccommend to anyone who is looking for a good start into photography, and its much more than just reading the manual out loud!!!
    Thanks for the support WS not that I am really touting for business here. However, I will jump to the defence of all those who go out of their way to help people start learning photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Thanks for the support WS not that I am really touting for business here. However, I will jump to the defence of all those who go out of their way to help people start learning photography.
    Most likely will taking up some basic courses but have to wait till after chinese new year because year end always very busy. Anyway can i check with you if i will be using both digital and flim what sort of basic course shall i attend (digi or flim)

hehe....i think it's the same as any other hobby. If u try to pick up guitar by urself, sure u can do it. But if u got someone experienced teaching u, u'll learn alot faster! Aniways, my basic course this wednesday! Anyone else starting on wednesday class too?

Phildate
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by lwt11137
    Most likely will taking up some basic courses but have to wait till after chinese new year because year end always very busy. Anyway can i check with you if i will be using both digital and flim what sort of basic course shall i attend (digi or flim)
    The basics of photography apply to both film and digital users so u should find a course that covers the basics of exposure and composition without going too in-depth in either the digital side of things or fim usage.

I dont agree with the thought of RTFM all the time. Sometimes, i feel the question is targeted at specifics of photography. So the FM doesnt say or tell you how to do it. Attending a basic course will let you learn exposure..something which the FM doesnt teach again. How to use the PASM modes which are new to newbies from PnS cameras..again, the FM only teach you how to adjust but not how to adjust shuttlespeed or aperture to compensate for each other and minimize handshake.

So, I agree on going for a course. A basic course which teach photography..digital manipulation is another field on its own.

Regards,
    tltan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12