Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Basic Photograhy course

  1. #21
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    In my opinion, "basic" courses are a waste of money. There is so much good information out there in manuals, books, and online (mostly for free!), which one can go through at one's own pace.
    I think it depends on what sort of learner you are. Ten years of teaching experience has taught me that most people learn in different ways. There are those that can pick up a book, read it and learn. Some people need to listen to someone explain things and there are some who need to be shown and then do it hands on. Many people learn best when there are a combination of visual, auditory and kinesthic elements present. On my introductory course, there are always notes and a display to look at, me talking and hands on practise.

    Many students who have been on my courses have tried reading their camera manual but not got past page two. An introductory course for them has been just that, an introduction and from there they have been able to access other materials and progress much faster.

    My advice would be to know what sort of learner you are and then use that to ensure you get the best from books/courses/videos/forums etc...
    Last edited by Phildate; 11th January 2006 at 07:50 PM.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    so actually ur paying the teacher to read u the manual, which is fine if it helps ur understanding

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    I think it depends on what sort of learner you are. Ten years of teaching experience has taught me that most people learn in different ways. There are those that can pick up a book, read it and learn. Some people need to listen to someone explain things and there are some who need to be shown and then do it hands on. Many people learn best when there are a combination of visual, auditory and kinesthic elements present. On my introductory course, there are always notes and a display to look at, me talking and hands on practise.

    Many students who have been on my courses have tried reading their camera manual but not got past page two. An introductory course for them has been just that, an introduction and from there they have been able to access other materials and progress much faster.

    My advice would be to know what sort of learner you are and then use that to ensure you get the best from books/courses/videos/forums etc...
    As i have said earlier in this thread, i have been on Phildates course and it dramticaly helped me with my photography, i think its because he was a teacher so therefore as developed the many skills required in teaching and applied it to photography, thus making the course excellent for all types of people. I would really reccommend to anyone who is looking for a good start into photography, and its much more than just reading the manual out loud!!!

  4. #24
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    so actually ur paying the teacher to read u the manual, which is fine if it helps ur understanding
    I pity you if this was your educational experience. I am sure good teachers do more than just read the textbook/manual out.

  5. #25
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    As i have said earlier in this thread, i have been on Phildates course and it dramticaly helped me with my photography, i think its because he was a teacher so therefore as developed the many skills required in teaching and applied it to photography, thus making the course excellent for all types of people. I would really reccommend to anyone who is looking for a good start into photography, and its much more than just reading the manual out loud!!!
    Thanks for the support WS not that I am really touting for business here. However, I will jump to the defence of all those who go out of their way to help people start learning photography.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Thanks for the support WS not that I am really touting for business here. However, I will jump to the defence of all those who go out of their way to help people start learning photography.
    Most likely will taking up some basic courses but have to wait till after chinese new year because year end always very busy. Anyway can i check with you if i will be using both digital and flim what sort of basic course shall i attend (digi or flim)

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    http://esmondng.com
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    hehe....i think it's the same as any other hobby. If u try to pick up guitar by urself, sure u can do it. But if u got someone experienced teaching u, u'll learn alot faster! Aniways, my basic course this wednesday! Anyone else starting on wednesday class too?

  8. #28
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by lwt11137
    Most likely will taking up some basic courses but have to wait till after chinese new year because year end always very busy. Anyway can i check with you if i will be using both digital and flim what sort of basic course shall i attend (digi or flim)
    The basics of photography apply to both film and digital users so u should find a course that covers the basics of exposure and composition without going too in-depth in either the digital side of things or fim usage.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    I dont agree with the thought of RTFM all the time. Sometimes, i feel the question is targeted at specifics of photography. So the FM doesnt say or tell you how to do it. Attending a basic course will let you learn exposure..something which the FM doesnt teach again. How to use the PASM modes which are new to newbies from PnS cameras..again, the FM only teach you how to adjust but not how to adjust shuttlespeed or aperture to compensate for each other and minimize handshake.

    So, I agree on going for a course. A basic course which teach photography..digital manipulation is another field on its own.

    Regards,
    tltan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •