Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Basic Photograhy course

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    209

    Default Basic Photograhy course

    Is it a necessasy to attend some basic photograhy lessons to really into understanding the truth photography or just learn from mistake to aquire the skill and truth of photography. How many brother out there just plan DIY photographer, care to share some of your sweets and sour moment during the progress of your journey till now.
    Last edited by lwt11137; 5th January 2006 at 01:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    I did a basic photography course when i first started out, and its definatly worth it, the knowledge and experience you can gain from it is amazing, i would recommend it for any newcomer to photography, the guy i did it with was an excellent teacher and i would really recommend him, he is also a CS member aswell.
    Check out http://www.phildate.com.sg for more info on his courses.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    I also took a basic photography course when my wife and I were still studying in NTU, and she had a photojournalism module. We signed up with a friend, who's conducting courses. Of course, back then, we learnt about the basics of film photography, and did alot of work in the darkroom. Still a basic course covers the fundamentals in photography techniques. Try out the course at PSS.

    From the basic course, I moved on to getting my own camera and practice, read books from the library, magazines, etc.

    There are many photos which did not make the grade, but there were nice memories too.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    I learned basics mostly from books and practice (digi cams are useful) and now am starting to move into film. I would say that the rpactice and trial and error freedom of digital certinaly helped me fone tune the fundamentals more. I would like to learn proper darkroom skills eventually though.
    Last edited by raptor84; 5th January 2006 at 02:05 PM.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East End
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Hi Bro, I spent 4 years doing a degree in photography, and what I can say is, though on the surface photography is merely peeking thru the viewfinder, composing the shot, adjusting the dials for exposure and pressing the shutter, there is a lot more in photography than meets the eye. One can view or use photography as a fun hobby that can bring many happy (sometimes sad) memories, but it is also a very complicated, intricate and technical sport/ hobby/ profession/ interest/ passion; whether on the camera's front or in the darkroom.
    And I do not mean some strange stuff that we'll never use in our daily photography. I mean knowledge and facts that will enhance your photos. Of course, one will not learn these from going for that express photography course.
    Looking and learning from other people's images play a big part in improving one's skills and eye. I used to drown myself in the images of great names like Ansel Adam, Herb Ritts, Horst P Horst, Annie Liebovitz, etc, etc. I also studied the images of designers and artists cos I believe these many ideas, methods, etc, will be processed in my own mind and when doing shoots, ideas will just pop up from nowhere and i get great shoots. At that time when I was so into those books and very passionate about photography, I was so good I was the pet of all the photography lecturers. And this was in London.
    I'm not here to brag. Just trying to bring across the point that studying others' images is important. I only managed to attain a certain standard in photography because I 'learnt from the pros'.
    The eyes of models and the reflections on an object in a photograph tell a lot - how many lights are used and how they are positioned, are they snoots or softboxes, any reflectors used, where the camera man is standing and the equipment he's using, etc, etc.

    I can go on forever, but my bottom line is one can learn by going for courses, or can pick it up from friends, books, experiences, mistakes, etc. Both ways you learn. It is how passionate you are and how involved you want to be that makes the difference. Show me a man who is completely passionate about his photography, but has never attended any course, and another man who has gone for the best photo courses but doesn't give a damn, and I'll bet my last dollar the unlearned man takes much much better pictures.
    Last edited by Heartshape; 6th January 2006 at 04:16 AM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Hi, all bro out there seem like most of yours photograhpy dream come with lot of memories, i bet all you really enjoy this hobby to every single moment in your life. So the answer to this hobby is commit, passion, love then come to theory. But still need a starting point, i believe this forum will make a good standing point with so many passionate bro out there to proivde comment and technique. Cheer to all of you out there, may 2006 be fill with wonderful and memorable year for you bro.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    yes join a course.. it's not only for gaining of knowlegde.. but u'll find fun interacting, learning and sharing with fellow classmates, whom new to photography, like everyone else in the class..

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by lwt11137
    Is it a necessasy to attend some basic photograhy lessons to really into understanding the truth photography or just learn from mistake to aquire the skill and truth of photography. How many brother out there just plan DIY photographer, care to share some of your sweets and sour moment during the progress of your journey till now.
    I'd say that it is not all that necessary if you can pick up a book on basic photography and understand what they are talking about.
    That said, I must add that though attending a course is not necessary, learning the basics is essential.
    I had a friend who had been taking photos for years. On one occasion when he was doing an imformal potrait shoot, I asked him why he didn't try a wider aperture for a certain shot to reduce depth of field, he replied that the picture would then be over exposed. When I offered that he could correct it by increasing his shutter speed, his reply was that a good picture had to be taken at f/5.6 at 1/250.
    As you can see from this illustration, that having an intimate knowledge of the basics of photography is important if you are to venture beyond settings that first provided you with a successful shot. Without this knowledge, you will forever be doing things blindly and will never know why a particular shot was a success or failure.
    I have to admit that I have never attended a course in basic photography. All my knowledge has been gleaned off the pages of photography books and magazines.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    i picked up basics up from books...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Personally, I think that going for a course is good, but that is only after you have
    play with your camera for a while. Get to know your tools from inside out first.
    Read the manual and then experiment. Read up books on photography and try out.
    Join a group like CS that is filled with people of the same passion as yourself and learn from
    one another.

    If you find that you still need some formal training, then enroll in a class.
    By then you already have some good knowledge about photography and you
    can fire your questions at the trainer. Be careful, if the trainer is really good you will be backfired. You can relate what you have tried yourself
    and share with others in the class. That will benefit everyone.

    If you have never touch a camera or do some read up before you enrol in a course,
    I think you may have a hard time understanding some technical terms while the trainer
    deliver his speech.

    I strongly agree with Heartshape. After all it is your attitude towards learning that counts.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by obewan
    Personally, I think that going for a course is good, but that is only after you have
    play with your camera for a while. Get to know your tools from inside out first.
    Read the manual and then experiment. Read up books on photography and try out.
    Join a group like CS that is filled with people of the same passion as yourself and learn from
    one another.

    If you find that you still need some formal training, then enroll in a class.
    By then you already have some good knowledge about photography and you
    can fire your questions at the trainer. Be careful, if the trainer is really good you will be backfired. You can relate what you have tried yourself
    and share with others in the class. That will benefit everyone.

    If you have never touch a camera or do some read up before you enrol in a course,
    I think you may have a hard time understanding some technical terms while the trainer
    deliver his speech.

    I strongly agree with Heartshape. After all it is your attitude towards learning that counts.
    During the past had been using my dad camera shooting during family outing... etc on and off, did not really go into serious photograpy but basic like depth of veiw, apature, slow speed and fast speed still heard from my dad shooting story. So now my dad left over all his stuff, actually wanted to sell it off but found out prices are really to low. So just telling myself why not take up his hobby, but just found out myself really a nut in photography. So where shall i start from.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    East
    Posts
    258

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by lwt11137
    During the past had been using my dad camera shooting during family outing... etc on and off, did not really go into serious photograpy but basic like depth of veiw, apature, slow speed and fast speed still heard from my dad shooting story. So now my dad left over all his stuff, actually wanted to sell it off but found out prices are really to low. So just telling myself why not take up his hobby, but just found out myself really a nut in photography. So where shall i start from.

    Hi,

    If you wanna sign up for Basic Photography Course, you can visit www.blackboxphoto.net.

    The fees is S$195.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by Ong_23
    Hi,

    If you wanna sign up for Basic Photography Course, you can visit www.blackboxphoto.net.

    The fees is S$195.
    thanks for information will check thing out

  14. #14

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by lwt11137
    During the past had been using my dad camera shooting during family outing... etc on and off, did not really go into serious photograpy but basic like depth of veiw, apature, slow speed and fast speed still heard from my dad shooting story. So now my dad left over all his stuff, actually wanted to sell it off but found out prices are really to low. So just telling myself why not take up his hobby, but just found out myself really a nut in photography. So where shall i start from.
    Photography is a great hobby. I myself was only a P&S shooter before I join CS. In this forum, I pick up a lot of information and still learning now.
    I also go online to source for information about photography. Got time, I will go out to
    shoot events or join some of the outings here. It is a great way to make friends and learn
    about photography.

    I will answer your last question here. Start from Clubsnap. Look out for outings organise for newbies. From there, you will start to pick up a great deal of information. Your interest
    will also grow when you mix with people of the same interest.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    still a newbie here, learn a lot from forums, internet reading, and shot, shot, shot.
    but I guess with photography course, I will save quite a lot of time from searching the info myself, and have a more complete info about photography.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by lwt11137
    Is it a necessasy to attend some basic photograhy lessons to really into understanding the truth photography or just learn from mistake to aquire the skill and truth of photography.
    In my opinion, "basic" courses are a waste of money. There is so much good information out there in manuals, books, and online (mostly for free!), which one can go through at one's own pace. The few lessons of a typical course are not enough time to understand things in depth (even if the instructor tries to explain everything in depth), so it's little more than follow the instructions without really understanding why - this you can also have from a book.

    I think the help of a tutor/mentor is much more valuable once you're beyond the "follow instruction" stage and work on really understanding why things are they way they are. At this stage, one stumbles over inconsistencies, inaccuracies, and sometimes wrong statements in reference material. This is where someone experienced can really help to clarify things, and this is not something that can be confined to a fixed schedule of a few lessons.

    The advantage of a class/course over discussing questions e.g. here on Clubsnap is that you get clear-cut answers from some "authority" instead of a multitude of opinions. The disadvantage is that the "authority" may not always be right, and without a second and third and fourth and ... opinion you might not find out or be aware of what is "fact" and what is contested "opinion".

  17. #17

    Talking Re: Basic Photograhy course

    i think library got alot.
    but now mostly its for digital.
    however! even small library like bukit panjang also got vv good guides.
    omg. so much things to learn, im getting indigestion just looking at the books.

    anyway if you read to learn.
    i suggest you clearly find out the course outline before you go.
    otherwise waste money learn the things you know liao.

    diy diy pocket will break hole wan, unless you use digi.
    but still, im diy diying. one picture take 5-6times. omg.
    record 15times.
    night shots lah.
    chao stupid.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Quote Originally Posted by mintae
    i think library got alot.
    but now mostly its for digital.
    however! even small library like bukit panjang also got vv good guides.
    omg. so much things to learn, im getting indigestion just looking at the books.

    anyway if you read to learn.
    i suggest you clearly find out the course outline before you go.
    otherwise waste money learn the things you know liao.

    diy diy pocket will break hole wan, unless you use digi.
    but still, im diy diying. one picture take 5-6times. omg.
    record 15times.
    night shots lah.
    chao stupid.
    Same here, that why bought a dslr to start with basic, most likely will go back to flim, maybe have time will go into Medium format. See how the hook get on.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    Join Safra Mt faber course. Cheap and good. Just go for the basic photography (they have basic digital photography as well but higher price) if you want to know the basics. Outings and lessons are very basic and good for those beginners and the teacher is a very experienced one. I just finished the course and can say I have learnt a lot from him. But of course, that is only the start, then comes the experimenting.

    Good luck, I think they have a course starting end this month or early next month.

    Regards,
    tltan

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Basic Photograhy course

    i spent 2yrs reading forums and articles before getting my 1st digi cam. it almost adds to my field experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •