Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

  1. #1

    Default Are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    are we?....any idea guys?

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    are we?....any idea guys?
    Do you see a sign says no camera and video near the door at most of the shops, including departmental stores?


    Do you need any other explanations?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Think the next thread might be " Can we take pictures in changing rooms?" liao

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Or might be " Can we take pictures at our balcony?"

  5. #5

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    ok thanks some have some dont..will keep a look out..some v. small...and ya can leave casio exilim take video in changing room...dun think got sign say cannot lei..

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    If someone tell you can, you have every rights to take picture in whatever place you like, whatever pictures you like....

    Sure, go ahead and do it, and don't forget to bring that person along, so you can carry on shooting and that person will do the explaining, debating to someone whom stops you from taking pictures.

  7. #7

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    It's very simple.

    Public place = can.
    Private place = maybe (depend what the owner says).

    Note that "can" is not the same as "should" or "ok", which depends on the situation and your own judgement. Sometimes, it may be foolish for you to take the pix (eg if Ah Long is carrying parang on the street-- you want him to come after you?)

    Also, in some cases, it's not taking pix that is the problem, it's how you take the pix or what you do with the pix, that is the problem.

    Wai Leong
    ====
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    If someone tell you can, you have every rights to take picture in whatever place you like, whatever pictures you like....

    Sure, go ahead and do it, and don't forget to bring that person along, so you can carry on shooting and that person will do the explaining, debating to someone whom stops you from taking pictures.

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Well said

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    It's very simple.

    Public place = can.
    Private place = maybe (depend what the owner says).

    Note that "can" is not the same as "should" or "ok", which depends on the situation and your own judgement. Sometimes, it may be foolish for you to take the pix (eg if Ah Long is carrying parang on the street-- you want him to come after you?)

    Also, in some cases, it's not taking pix that is the problem, it's how you take the pix or what you do with the pix, that is the problem.

    Wai Leong
    ====

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    If someone tell you can, you have every rights to take picture in whatever place you like, whatever pictures you like....

    Sure, go ahead and do it, and don't forget to bring that person along, so you can carry on shooting and that person will do the explaining, debating to someone whom stops you from taking pictures.
    Better still always have your lawyer present when you take the photos.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Do you see a sign says no camera and video near the door at most of the shops, including departmental stores?


    Do you need any other explanations?
    I don't see any sign in the departmental stores that says "You can't point a gun at the cashier and demand money from her."


  11. #11
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    ok thanks some have some dont..will keep a look out..some v. small...and ya can leave casio exilim take video in changing room...dun think got sign say cannot lei..
    Okay lor you go try and see and then call us from behind bars to tell us heheheh

    My dear young man....don't look for trouble when trouble don't come looking for you. To brandish a camera or video cam at the changing room is like poking a stick a a hornet nest.

    If you give the in-store security probable cause if they saw you playing and aiming your camera at an area as sensitive as a changing room area where people's modesty can be compromised, they have every good reason to detain you, call the police and have you brought to the station for question if you do not have a valid reason for doing so. Your action is bordering on a suspect criminal act and with that a lone they can bring you in for questioning and even go to your home to search for possible evidents.

    They could hold you on suspicion that you could be trying to video tape people changing. Does not matter if they could not see any details of it on your video cam when then caught you doing. They can claim you were just caught before you did it. With propable reason, they might even go to your home to search for evident on the assumption that you might have done this before. This is not an unlikely situation as I have come across this a few time when doing my NS in the Police Force. In-Store security office have caught such persons and handled them over to the police for quetioning. There is no wrongful arresting or detaining here as it involve a possible criminal act.

    You daring stunt could be nothing but pure fun but hope you have nothing in your home when they do a search. For nothing something happens leh.

    Even if the police found nothing, they are doing their job and acted in good faith. Thus you can not sue them for detaining you or searching your home. They acted in good faith thus it is within their right and lawful practice to do so.
    Last edited by sammy888; 5th January 2006 at 08:57 PM.

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Better still always have your lawyer present when you take the photos.
    That's right, you do the shooting, he/she do the talking, everyone happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I don't see any sign in the departmental stores that says "You can't point a gun at the cashier and demand money from her."

    For Singaporean, they always have to look for a sign says "Robbery are allowed", then they will dare to rob.

  13. #13
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?



    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Okay lor you go try and see and then call us from behind bars to tell us heheheh

    My dear young man....don't look for trouble when trouble don't come looking for you. To brandish a camera or video cam at the changing room is like poking a stick a a hornet nest.

    If you give the in-store security probable cause if they saw you playing and aiming your camera at an area as sensitive as a changing room area where people's modesty can be compromised, they have every good reason to detain you, call the police and have you brought to the station for question if you do not have a valid reason for doing so. Your action is bordering on a suspect criminal act and with that a lone they can bring you in for questioning and even go to your home to search for possible evidents.

    They could hold you on suspicion that you could be trying to video tape people changing. Does not matter if they could not see any details of it on your video cam when then caught you doing. They can claim you were just caught before you did it. With propable reason, they might even go to your home to search for evident on the assumption that you might have done this before. This is not an unlikely situation as I have come across this a few time when doing my NS in the Police Force. In-Store security office have caught such persons and handled them over to the police for quetioning. There is no wrongful arresting or detaining here as it involve a possible criminal act.

    You daring stunt to do so could be nothing but pure fun but hope you have nothing in your home when they do a search. For nothing something happens leh.

    Even if the police found nothing, they are doing their job and acted in good faith. Thus you can not sue them for detaining you or searching your home. They acted in good faith thus it is within their right and lawful practice to do so.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Okay lor you go try and see and then call us from behind bars to tell us heheheh
    How do you know some of the messages in this thread are not posted from a jail internet cafe?

    Looking at the legal and moralistic opinions propargated in this thread and the other one, half of the jail in this country would be occupied by the trigger-happy amateur photographers.

  15. #15
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    How do you know some of the messages in this thread are not posted from a jail internet cafe?

    Looking at the legal and moralistic opinions propargated in this thread and the other one, half of the jail in this country would be occupied by the trigger-happy amateur photographers.

    You know something? In a weird way...I am not surprise man!.... but I doubt it would be a Singapore Jail. Did a tour of guarding it back then...I doubt even today you will get that chance of a good life as a prisoner in Singapore. Sound more like an American Country Club style jail for white collar criminal maybe heh.

    Jail internet cafe? hahahah some how that sound more like something only found in an Advertising tagline leh heh Jail + Cafe don't seem to mix. heh
    Last edited by sammy888; 5th January 2006 at 08:55 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    any place with a security feature (spycams, guards) is understood to prohibit picture taking

  17. #17
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    i thought school reopen already? no homework ah?


  18. #18

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    3rd day of school, most teachers are busy with orientation and CCA Open House, haha.
    Last edited by Slivester; 6th January 2006 at 12:32 AM.

  19. #19
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Serious???

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    any place with a security feature (spycams, guards) is understood to prohibit picture taking

  20. #20

    Default Re: are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Serious???
    Sometime its at best to avoid conflict than to enforce the right thing. Not that I am saying we should give in, just that its just make things tougher sometimes, like insisting that photography is not prohibited in most places unless otherwise stated. Its quite sensitive now, especially with threats all around.

    We can't help but contemplate over whether should we sacrifice or refuse to give in and get attacked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •