Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a Pocket PC

Default Re: I need a Pocket PC

Guess what OS Treo is using now? I think that puts an end to the Palm vs PPC debate.

Guess we're in "kopitiam", so no harm hving a little discussion.. hehe.

No, a 10" laptop looks so "unportable". And definitely hvnt seen any sleek and cool 10" laptop yet.

Anyway, I'm real outdated coz my last palmtop device was a Palm III. Surprised that forumers here comment about palm OS hving to reset v. often! I fiddle with the LiteDrive a bit, big disappointment! Using a HDD makes the whole device v. slow esp. when running multiple application.

Oh, and of coz my purpose for a PPC is not restricted to showing off pictures...haha.
    Dell x50v is so cheap? $689, specs is impressive. But is it stable? how about battery life?!

used palm for more than seven years before switching to the dark side.

i am a happier person because of it.

don't need any converter to make my video, photo, word doc, excel worksheet viewable, and workable in palm. straight from desktop to pda. what could be easier than that.

best part is now i can transfer files from my mobile to pda as well via ir. no need to pay super duper price for a super duper phone. just a basic phone with camera/video recorder and basic 4mb memory. shoot and shoot until no memory than ir to pda and save to 1gb sd card.

try doing that with a palm pda.

sorry to erk palm users. palm was good in its days. they just sat and sat on their so-called robust os which did crash on me with hard reset required on a few occasions. luckily it was a sony clie with backup on memory stick which i could restore from while having a kopi.

if it was a palm hardware, i would have to wait till i reach back home.

sony made palm great again with hires screens and better ui integration. but stupid palm corp made sony give up palm so i give up on palm altogether.

their stupid decision is my gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadus
    No, a 10" laptop looks so "unportable". And definitely hvnt seen any sleek and cool 10" laptop yet.
    here you go, www.oqo.com

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    Guess what OS Treo is using now? I think that puts an end to the Palm vs PPC debate.
    Yeah... you should visit this link. Most likely the new one will be WM5!

BTW, PalmOS still does not have a a hierachical file structure; everything lies in one location; no folders, no folder within a folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    BTW, PalmOS still does not have a a hierachical file structure; everything lies in one location; no folders, no folder within a folder.
    Yeah... that's because it doesn't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo
    don't need any converter to make my video, photo, word doc, excel worksheet viewable, and workable in palm. straight from desktop to pda. what could be easier than that.

best part is now i can transfer files from my mobile to pda as well via ir. no need to pay super duper price for a super duper phone. just a basic phone with camera/video recorder and basic 4mb memory. shoot and shoot until no memory than ir to pda and save to 1gb sd card.

try doing that with a palm pda.
    all these can be done on a palm pda with the proper apps lah. what utter rubbish. yes, you can view native word docs, excel worksheets, as well as view videos.

sorry to erk palm users. palm was good in its days. they just sat and sat on their so-called robust os which did crash on me with hard reset required on a few occasions. luckily it was a sony clie with backup on memory stick which i could restore from while having a kopi.

if it was a palm hardware, i would have to wait till i reach back home.
    once again, the proper apps. there are loads of apps out there for backup. rescobackup, backupbuddy - just to name a few.

and mind you, since when did a robust os equate to one that doesn't crash? you telling me that ppcs don't crash? heh.

sony made palm great again with hires screens and better ui integration. but stupid palm corp made sony give up palm so i give up on palm altogether.
    you can love your ppc, but to misinform and be misinformed accentuates your ignorance. perhaps that's why you're using one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadus
    Anyway, I'm real outdated coz my last palmtop device was a Palm III. Surprised that forumers here comment about palm OS hving to reset v. often! I fiddle with the LiteDrive a bit, big disappointment! Using a HDD makes the whole device v. slow esp. when running multiple application.
    the lifedrive IMHO is a rather unpolished product. the t|x is.

2 models i've identified. Any comments or sellers?
    iPaq 3715
    iPaq 4150

Quote Originally Posted by schon
    Yeah... that's because it doesn't need one.
    Some answer 7 years ago when asked why Palm doesn't have a screen larger than 160x160 or why it only has a grey shaded screen. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Nowadays, with a CF or SD card, you get more storage than what is available 10 years ago on most PCs. Unless you are saying that 10 years ago, PCs running even DOS (which has a hierarchical storage since DOS 2.0/1982 IIRC) don't need one. I stored > 1000 files on a single external storage. Tell me why shouldn't I have the ability to organize it? PalmOS can't even access the external storage as a folder or directory.

Don't make excuses. In any case, the old PalmOS is dead. The new Treo 700 has been announced all over the net, from News.com to WSJ to NYT. What OS is it running? Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0

Nowadays, with a CF or SD card, you get more storage than what is available 10 years ago on most PCs. Unless you are saying that 10 years ago, PCs running even DOS (which has a hierarchical storage since DOS 2.0/1982 IIRC) don't need one. I stored > 1000 files on a single external storage. Tell me why shouldn't I have the ability to organize it? PalmOS can't even access the external storage as a folder or directory.
    uh it can't? obviously you aren't using the right apps.

you CAN organise stuff in folders on external memory. and you do NOT need to do so on internal memory.

palm OS was designed to be simple. if you need additional stuff, install it. simple as that. you are just ignorant.

Don't make excuses. In any case, the old PalmOS is dead. The new Treo 700 has been announced all over the net, from News.com to WSJ to NYT. What OS is it running? Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0
    it isn't.

the treo 700 is loaded with M$ **** to satisfy people like yourself. to meet corporate needs. some apps are designed just for windows mobile. that's all ppcs are good for. and FYI, the treo 700 isn't getting rave reviews - yep, it is the OS.

===

Walt Mossberg - Wall Street Journal
    A New Palm Treo Uses Microsoft's Software, But It Doesn't Beat 650

Despite some nice new features, the Windows Mobile software is still inferior to the Palm software for one-handed use on the go. Its crucial email and phone functions are also weaker. And there's a serious bug in its email software that affects individuals, though not corporate users. So the Treo 700w is neither as easy to use nor as powerful as the Treo 650. In addition, the screen on the 700w offers significantly lower resolution than the screen on the 650, and the new model costs twice as much -- $400 versus $200.

David Pouge - New York Times
    A Marriage Not Made in Heaven

The Treo 700W is a Frankensteinian mishmash. Some of its features are so inspired and well executed, you can't help grinning, while others are so clumsy, you smack your forehead.

Then again, the 700W wasn't built for longtime Treo fans (who, in any case, can still buy the older 650 model). It was built for corporate buyers, whose top priorities may not include providing the most pleasurable experience possible for the worker bees.

===

I agree that it's utter STUPIDITY for palm to adopt the ppc OS. but that doesn't mean that palms are crap.

and if you still think palm OS is crap, it wouldn't help that the original palm pilot is ranked #4, and the treo 600 #20 in the PCWorld.com (ooh the irony) The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years. you don't see any ppcs there, do you?

Why the difference between internal and external memory? Internal memory is around 128MB. That is more than many hard disk 15 years ago; much more than a 360k floppy drive that has hierarchical storage. So if I have a PDA that has 128MB of internal RAM, I cannot organize them into folders? How about the fact that the files needs to be converted into the internal format? JPG, MP3, etc needs a PC to convert into the internal memory. Why can't I just copy them into the directories in memory?

The reason for Treo 700 needing WM5 is simple: it cannot manage multitasking properly. All the acquisitions in the past 5 years from BeOS to Linux, etc all is for nothing. The current OS cannot manage the increasing demand. Garnet is more than 3 years old (since fall of 02) and no device is using Cobalt even though it came out in 2003 as well. There is no news on their next OS. In fact, PalmSource, the developer of the OS has been acquired by Access, the Japanese software company that builds a browser on PDAs. If there would be any news of the future, they are already swept away by WM and Linux.

New demands include Bluetooth, WiFi and other connectivity makes it harder and harder to support since it has no true multitasking capability. As a simple PIM, no, they don't need it but as a modern PDA, devices would need these features in order to attract customer, else people might as well resort to Casio organizers.

If there was a choice of taking PalmOS, don't you think that Palm won't use it?

As this is the first release, there are few devices that are very successful especially when they had the old device to compare to and yet have to re-write the applications and relearn their stuff. Was the original Treo flawless? Was ACR 1.0 problem free? In fact, since you have read the reviews, please tell me which part which had weakness is due to the OS rather than the applications that the Palm engineers wrote.

So what it is top 50? The Osbourne was the first luggable. Where are they now? IBM invented Winchester drives which are precursors to harddisks. What HD are they making now? Similarly, IBM created the IBM PC. What PCs are they producing now? Revelling in past history doesn't help you in surviving the future. BTW, I own the first Palm 1000, I know what it used to be like...
    Last edited by Watcher; 8th January 2006 at 01:58 AM.

dunno whether somebody brought up this or not, on PPC, one can not see large image files.
    For example, 2MP images from camera are very likely to be downsized to 500K pixels due to
    PPC's memory constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    dunno whether somebody brought up this or not, on PPC, one can not see large image files.
    For example, 2MP images from camera are very likely to be downsized to 500K pixels due to
    Eh, on the latest device that runs WM5 that has a 800x600 screen, that is less than 0.5 MP. On PPC, the highest rez is 640x480x16-bit color.

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    I'm not sure about the rest... I can view a 6MP file @ 100% zoom on my 51v... my screen res is native VGA (640x480).
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

If you can get hold of an old Dell Axim X5, grab it. I've had mine for quite a few years, and it's still chugging along. Slow, but it's got power-saving features, and battery life (after all these years) is still many hours of continuous reading. It's got a CF card slot, but no wifi or bluetooth or anything like that. You can always get a CF or SD wifi card if you need it. I prefer surfing on a real computer.

Guys found one freeware site to view RAW format on your PPC. Try this http://www.xnview.com

Quote Originally Posted by schon
    all these can be done on a palm pda with the proper apps lah. what utter rubbish. yes, you can view native word docs, excel worksheets, as well as view videos.

once again, the proper apps. there are loads of apps out there for backup. rescobackup, backupbuddy - just to name a few.

and mind you, since when did a robust os equate to one that doesn't crash? you telling me that ppcs don't crash? heh.

you can love your ppc, but to misinform and be misinformed accentuates your ignorance. perhaps that's why you're using one.

sigh....if you only read between the lines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12