Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sea Side Sunrise....

Oh just to share with everybody, here is one trick that I used (must use tilt and pan tripod instead of ballhead): just tilt your camera up and down so that the horizon is close to the bottom/top of the viewfinder. Adjust the head to level the horizon with respect to the viewfinder. Lock up, tilt it back up, compose and shoot....

If you do not have a tripod with you, try your best to level it when shooting, and then adjust it in PS when you are back home (disadvantage is that you'll loose some corners).

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by SianZronG

hey togu paris ris park there the beach looking straight at the horozion.... hm.... maybe you were suay

you using E-10? i was thinking a E-20 maybe next time how's the cam....
    Straight at the horizon yes, but the sun don't come up from that horizon...

In fact, i ran from the the beach, outside costa sands, to the end of the beach where the shipyard is, sadly seeing the sun rise from the back of those trees, buildings (as in picture)...

Yes E10, not a bad cam. Er...the E20 is near to $1000 top up just for the noise reduction, 1/18,000 shutter speed, and the golden "Olympus" words in front. That's why i choose the E10 instead.

actually slanted horizon is slanted horizon lor, as clear as black stripes white stripes.

i guess its the approach. you first know the rules, then you know you're bending/breaking them.

most of us walk with head straight, not crooked, perhaps thats how the photography rule about keeping horizon straight came about.

but its not an iron clad rule. if you know what you're taking and you want horizon slightly tilted to take in proportions of other things you want in the picture or to give it certain perspective that's fine.

after all, one does crook the head a bit and tilt to take in magnificent sights such as daybreak across the sky from time to time.

if the photographer in this case didn't know he had slanted horizon, then it is a good learning experience for him and he understand more about photography and composing pictures.

good day

Just as I had expected. The culture of self-critical and accepting criticism is almost non-existant among local photographers. Truth always hurts I guess.

self-criticism and accepting criticism is always good.

but not everybody can listen in the same way. kids for example, some take hard, some take soft. you dish it out hard and force every kid to take it, that's not the right approach.

the end result is to have every kid to become a good adult. so find a way to get it across to every kid.

to have a photographer learn, feedback with moderated approach. you dish it out hard, some photographers with thin skin by nature will instead fear this forum or stop taking pictures.
    you method works with generally thick-skin photographers, wouldn't it be better if every photographer benefit from your feedback?

Originally posted by Kit
    Yes, I do take offence when people failed to accept criticisms gracefully, which is pretty evident among local snappers.

Mind if you elaborate on the above quote, especially on the pretty evident among local snappers???

(Sorry, Ziploc, but I have to ask for clarifications.)

Originally posted by plainsman
    self-criticism and accepting criticism is always good.

but not everybody can listen in the same way. kids for example, some take hard, some take soft. you dish it out hard and force every kid to take it, that's not the right approach.

the end result is to have every kid to become a good adult. so find a way to get it across to every kid.

to have a photographer learn, feedback with moderated approach. you dish it out hard, some photographers with thin skin by nature will instead fear this forum or stop taking pictures.
    you method works with generally thick-skin photographers, wouldn't it be better if every photographer benefit from your feedback?
    I'm awaiting your enlightenment on how to tell what kind of a person I'm communicating with over a screen 3000+ km away.

Originally posted by Kit
    The horizon on both images is tilted.
    im stating upfront that i am not fault-finding, let's have a open discussion here in goodwill

your above quote, yes the horizon is tilted. but perhaps something more encouraging and education might be good to follow.

as in, "why should horizon be straight in taking pictures?" .. at least the newbie gets the logic behind taking pictures with horizon straight. its not "the experts do it so we should too" .... what if some of the things we follow turn out to be blind leading the blind. when we learn, it should always be with open mind and sensibly.

just something for your thinking cap.

cheerios and good day

and also, I say what I feel about the image. My comments were directed to the image in the first place, not the photographer. As for accpeting my feedback, I leave it to the photographer but I'll be damn to let someone come in and start telling me how to comment.

Originally posted by Kit

I'm awaiting your enlightenment on how to tell what kind of a person I'm communicating with over a screen 3000+ km away.
    im not enlightening... just giving feedback

instead of guessing exactly what kind of person, perhaps just make it a little more general, throw in some goodwill and faith... if nothing else, it helps to make a better day and better feedback.

just like a smile makes some people's day.

yeah i know some people don't smile, even as they do things that help to make a difference. just something for your thinking cap... its your choice and your life!

good day

Originally posted by plainsman

as in, "why should horizon be straight in taking pictures?"
    That has been covered in subsequent messages. As I've said, its not about being a pro making images as compared to an amateur. Its a basic fundamental.

Midnight
    Guests

Originally posted by Kit
    As for accpeting my feedback, I leave it to the photographer but I'll be damn to let someone come in and start telling me how to comment.
    This discussion is getting way out of hand. I think the parties involved will have to simply agree to disagree as far as this is concerned; multiplicity of perspectives is always enriching in a public forum, but once a line has to be drawn once ad hominem comments begin.

Originally posted by Midnight
    This discussion is getting way out of hand. I think the parties involved will have to simply agree to disagree as far as this is concerned; multiplicity of perspectives is always enriching in a public forum, but once a line has to be drawn once ad hominem comments begin.
    Yup and I shall not waste another minute commenting images on this site anymore because I don't fancy being called an elitist just by commenting on an image. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Kit; 12th November 2002 at 02:26 PM.

hi kit,

i wasn't telling you how to comment.

if you look more carefully, i always use 'perhaps' ... and suggest ... and also... 'for your thinking cap'

i don't shove anything down people throats

we can all have good discussion that is productive and everybody learns here one way or another.

cheerios good day

Originally posted by SianZronG
    wow... i was thinking why do i have so many replies for my thread in my mail box.... i recieved so many mails.... it's all good and constructive comments.... i've got much room for improvment....
    Yup and I shall not waste another minute commenting images on this site anymore because I don't fancy being called an elitist just by commenting on an image. Have a nice day.
    Your comments are not wasted at all, the orginial photographer asking for comments is happy with the feedbacks, that's all it matters.

Now now, who's the one that don't take in any comments at all?

Anyway, it's just about photography and it's suppose to be fun. Instead of all these postings, let's go out to

SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT!

Originally posted by Kit

That has been covered in subsequent messages. As I've said, its not about being a pro making images as compared to an amateur. Its a basic fundamental.
    yeah.. actually the 5W1H principles helps a lot in a ways... again.. these are all suggestions and brainstorms ... read following if interested

--- 5W1H = the what, when, where, who, why and how

in this case, say we take the 'what' and 'why'

1. what - horizon straight is a basic photography fundamental
    2. why - newbies would definitely be interested if some info is provided or some URL to understand more about the reasoning behind this rule.

hey everybody...

did some quick surfing... gatewaytoafrica.com seems to have an article about this (just a bit) read if interested:

taken from http://www.getawaytoafrica.com/conte...ber/column.asp
    ------
    This month's tip:
    Get your horizons straight.
    This was the motto of a good friend. What he really meant however was: be aware of your horizon, rather than always have a straight horizon.

In certain situations skew horizons dramatically accentuate the message you're trying to send. In that case sure, do whatever you like with the horizon. But it's completely unacceptable to have, for example, a sea-scape with a ship on a skew horizon. It doesn't work. It's better to bin your image - or at the very least crop it during mounting so that the horizon straightens out - and learn from your mistake.

November's Assignment:
    Horizons
    Find a scene that needs a straight horizon (eg a landscape or seascape scene with a distinct horizon). Photographing in both landscape and portrait orientations concentrate on your horizon. Then find a street scene or portrait where you can angle the horizon dramatically to accentuate the message you're trying to convey.

The important thing to consider at all times is: what is my horizon doing?

hope u guys learnt something. i sure did, cos im a photography amateur too :laugh:

cheerios and good day

I always remember one thing my photographer teacher taught me when I first started as regards horizons and converging verticals.

It can be summarized to:

"If you want to tilt/slant, exaggerate/emphasize the tilt/slant. Slightly converging verticals, tilts, tilted horizons are VERY disconcerting and should be avoided at all times"

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by Goondu

Mind if you elaborate on the above quote, especially on the pretty evident among local snappers???

(Sorry, Ziploc, but I have to ask for clarifications.)
    We have being labeled yet again..

somehow i am happy that this is the longest thread i have started in clubsnap

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast