Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sea Side Sunrise....

Wait.... taken using a S602?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Wait.... taken using a S602?
    eh Wolfgang... have u forgotten that our 602Z doesn't have ISO100?

Originally posted by imaginary_number

eh Wolfgang... have u forgotten that our 602Z doesn't have ISO100?
    Oh... shame on me

Bad Wolfgang... *smacks*
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

no lar taken using C-4000z

DARN!

Was at Pasir Ris Beach (behind Costa Sands) this morning at 6.30am, happily waiting for sunrise, had tripod set up , everything prepared......waiting.....

BUT!

Soon I realised there's no sunrise at Pasir Ris Beach.... end up cycling...

there should be sunrise wat... everything in the east should be able to see..... never mind lar next time meet up with mi go east coast shoot...

Sunrise yes, but not from the horizon... I should have brought a compass along....

never mind lar next time meet up with mi go east coast shoot...

Default Sunrise? Sunset?

This is all I can get....

What Kit said is right. When you are taking a landscape picture, the horizon is important and will make or break a pic. Other then that, the first pic is well captured, with beautiful tone and texture, and the magic touch to make it a better picture (silhouette of the 3 guys). Maybe you would like to correct the horizon in PS.

Oh btw, the pic size is too big... try to limit the long side to not more then 600-700 pixels (that means the height in this case since it is taken vertical). I was needed to scroll up and down while viewing it.

Kit:
    As far as I can see, the slight slant did not break SianZronG's beautiful pic. I asked a few ppl whether they can see the slant and all could not. I guess the vast majority of people would be happy to have taken such a beauty and not be bothered about the slight slant, unless you are a professional/serious amatuer or going for a competition, in which case I think SianZronG is not trying to do yet.

But that is beside the point. I do agree that a level pic makes for a great shot. But the point is SianZronG took some effort in taking that pic already and I am sure he is and has every reason to be proud of his work, so by just focussing on the bad points of his pics without giving some encouraging/positive words on his pic doesn't show much sensitivity. To put your high standards on ordinary ppl by just focussing on the bad points of the pic smacks of elitism. At least Ziploc knows how to put the message across better.

Elitism??? Aw come'on. Are you even listening to yourself talk? Did you not read he mentioned about welcoming comments on his images?

Amateur or not, straight horizon is a basic fundamental for landscape images of this nature. If you can't get that right, its wouldn't even be considered a decent shot no matter how good the rest of the shot is. That's because you haven't got the basics right.

He asked for comments and that's what he got from me. Honest comment. I'm sorry if I'm not able to make his head bigger(he mentioned that too) than it is now. I don't believe that will make him a better photographer either. If what he wants are praises irregardless of how his image looks, then he should have said so in the first place. I wouldn't have wasted my time.

If you're going to take honest critique as an elitists' comment, then god bless you. We'll see how far you can go.

Verre Vrai
    Guests

Like the 1st one very much, taken at ECP rite. I can see the tilt, but it is no big deal.

Well done!

An honest critique will be more completeif it contains both praises and criticism.
    I did not ask you to give praises only, but more of a balanced review(both good and bad). You did not waste your time. Sure you gave some valuable honest advise but did not put your useful message across nicely. Maybe u learned photography and got to your high standards the hard way by receiving criticisms only, but not everybody wants to learn that way. I am sure you can give lots of valuable insight, but it would be better to give a balanced one, that will be more useful for everyone.

Originally posted by Kit
    Elitism??? Aw come'on. Are you even listening to yourself talk? Did you not read he mentioned about welcoming comments on his images?

Amateur or not, straight horizon is a basic fundamental for landscape images of this nature. If you can't get that right, its wouldn't even be considered a decent shot no matter how good the rest of the shot is. That's because you haven't got the basics right.

He asked for comments and that's what he got from me. Honest comment. I'm sorry if I'm not able to make his head bigger(he mentioned that too) than it is now. I don't believe that will make him a better photographer either. If what he wants are praises irregardless of how his image looks, then he should have said so in the first place. I wouldn't have wasted my time.

If you're going to take honest critique as an elitists' comment, then god bless you. We'll see how far you can go.

Originally posted by Gunjack
    An honest critique will be more completeif it contains both praises and criticism.
    I did not ask you to give praises only, but more of a balanced review(both good and bad). You did not waste your time. Sure you gave some valuable honest advise but did not put your useful message across nicely. Maybe u learned photography and got to your high standards the hard way by receiving criticisms only, but not everybody wants to learn that way. I am sure you can give lots of valuable insight, but it would be better to give a balanced one, that will be more useful for everyone.
    Oh really? Tell me. How many critic sessions have you been to? Who told you reviews has to be both good and bad? Pointing out the shortcomings is being constructive in its own way. If you think he didn't like people commenting on shortcomings only, then suggest to your friend that he should ask for comments, which include sweet talks in future. If I think the image has something worth praising, I would do that too. I give comments as I see fit.

How I comment on other people's work is entirely up to me and I won't let anyone dictate that. Don't like it, just let me know. I will keep an eye on your name and never waste another minute commenting on your work again.

I'm sorry if I haven't been able to tell him what he likes to hear(or at least what you think he likes to hear). Fact is fact. Basics not there, that means the shot have room for improvement and I've pointed that out clearly.

I don't remember in anytime of the discussion have I made my point in an undesirable manner. I even suggested a simple test for him to see the obvious. What did I get in the end? Not even a thank you but that's beside the point.

You barging in calling me an elitist just because I was giving my honest opinion?? So who's the rude one here?

Wah, relax man... No need to get all worked up. Anyway I do not know sianzrongz. If I have offended you then I apologise. Alright, u do what you deem is right. I was also giving my honest opinion, but I guess its not worth anything. Never intended to cause trouble, so I apologise.
    Last edited by Gunjack; 11th November 2002 at 11:20 PM.

1st one is VERY Nice..
    what time is it?

Yes, I do take offence when people failed to accept criticisms gracefully, which is pretty evident among local snappers. Being overly precious about ones work is a great disservice to any photographer.

You were giving honest opinion but not on the images. You become personal when others said things you didn't like. That's what irks me.

wow... i was thinking why do i have so many replies for my thread in my mail box.... i recieved so many mails.... it's all good and constructive comments.... i've got much room for improvment....

hey togu paris ris park there the beach looking straight at the horozion.... hm.... maybe you were suay

you using E-10? i was thinking a E-20 maybe next time how's the cam....

Please cool it guys. Everybody is just trying to help, so let's not be too work up on it ok?

I think the slanted horizon issue is blown way out of proportion.

1) It's not really that easy to see the slanted horizon on the tiny LCD screen, unless you have those grid lines on some cameras (like the S602).
    2) The tripod may not allow for such minute correction (my previous tripod didn't).
    3) Can be easily corrected in PS.

Anyway, it doesn't detract from the fact that the picture is well taken and picturesque. Nice work sianzrong!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast