Thread: Sunrise over Tanjong Rhu

Default Sunrise over Tanjong Rhu

TanRhuSunrise-21-Edit by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    In all aspects. Composition, Processing, Presentation.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I have seen this vantage point being photographed many times. Though I tried once before, it somehow didn't quite work. Revisited it again to try and get the sun peaking out from behind Costa Rhu Condo. but to no avail. However, with my 10 stop ND filter, managed to get some drag in the clouds and relatively still water for reflection.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Early morning Waiting for the sun Hoping for a good shot.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the colours. I'm concerned if I pushed it too far. Do comment.

Cheers!
    Norman

Default Re: Sunrise over Tanjong Rhu

hi Norman,

the shot looks too underexposed for my liking and the cut-off bridge on the right doesn't look good or balanced in the frame. I would go for a wider angle to include the bridge or to omit it entirely and just focus on the Costa Rhu condo with clouds and water.

Cheers,
    z.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    hi Norman,

the shot looks too underexposed for my liking and the cut-off bridge on the right doesn't look good or balanced in the frame. I would go for a wider angle to include the bridge or to omit it entirely and just focus on the Costa Rhu condo with clouds and water.

Cheers,
    z.
    Thanks Zaren for dropping by.

This was a two image blend. I was trying to get the buildings to be brighter but I didn't want to overdo it. I fuess I couldn't find the sweet spot to suit your preference.

Ah.. The problem of composition is one that I am still trying to overcome. I've taken note of your advice. Hope tomorrow is a better session.

Cheers!

I think the reflections takes up around half of the image and they are a bit dark so overall the image feels underexposed. I would suggest selectively brightening up the reflections, and you can even darken the actual sky a bit so the colours become stronger. You could also do this when shooting by using a graduated neutral density filter. The white balance looks a bit too magenta to me...

Agree that it is a balance to brighten up the buildings in this scene as they are back-lit to make them look realistic. Can only play around to see what is your most preferred balance...

I think the sun now is a bit too South so it rises a bit too much to the right from this viewpoint. What I usually see others do is to take the photograph from nearer to the bridge so it looks bigger and making it a more prominent leading line, together with the sun peeking out behind the condo. However have to wait for the sun to rise more Northwards for that, probably after march

You can check online eg http://suncalc.net or http://app.photoephemeris.com/ to better see where the sun position would be

Thanks for sharing your shot!