Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my Sunset Picture at Sentosa Siloso Beach?

Default What's wrong with my Sunset Picture at Sentosa Siloso Beach?

Camera : Nikon Coolpix 5700
    Time : Sunset at around 7.05pm

I feel that something is not right about my picture below but I don't know what's wrong.

Please advise and suggest ways to improve.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: What's wrong with my Sunset Picture at Sentosa Siloso Beach?

WB? Seems as though it's in Tungsten WB.
    eat. drink. shoot

nice colours,might be because the sun is behind the cloud.

your human subjects are too close to the edge

interesting WB ... flourescent? quite nice actually

Quote Originally Posted by eikin

Yes, it's Flourescent WB.

I like to shoot with Flourescent WB most of the time during the day and, as I was shooting around the Siloso beach last Saturday evening, I heard someone shouted that the Sun was very nice and I turned my head and saw him running towards to another side to take a better view. I looked towards the Sun and, through the tress and tower structures on the small island across the bridge, I saw it was very bright red just hanging near the edge of the horizon. However, by the time I ran to an unblocked location 50m away, the sun had already almost gone below the horizon.

I managed to take a few shots with different proportions between land, see and sky. For some of the shots, I had 1/3 sky and 1/3 sea and 1/3 beach. However, I like this one because of the postures of the guys sitting at the edge of the beach and looking into the sunset although it isn't following the rule of thirds.

By the time I had a better composition between beach, sea and sky, the guys were already playing around with the water and running around.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 2nd January 2006 at 06:19 PM.

Would this be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    Yes, it's Flourescent WB.

I like to shoot with Flourescent WB most of the time during the day and, as I was shooting around the Siloso beach last Saturday evening, I heard someone shouted that the Sun was very nice and I turned my head and saw him running towards to another side to take a better view. I looked towards the Sun and, through the tress and tower structures on the small island across the bridge, I saw it was very bright red just hanging near the edge of the horizon. However, by the time I ran to an unblocked location 50m away, the sun had already almost gone below the horizon.

I managed to take a few shots with different proportions between land, see and sky. For some of the shots, I had 1/3 sky and 1/3 sea and 1/3 beach. However, I like this one because of the postures of the guys sitting at the edge of the beach and looking into the sunset although it isn't following the rule of thirds.
    putting the horizon at the centre isn't exactly new also, there's no need to shoot with a rule in mind all the time

By the time I had a better composition between beach, sea and sky, the guys were already playing around with the water and running around.
    might just make an interesting picture, you'll never know

Would this be better?

no, this is much worse actually.

i think there's some misconception with the rule of thirds here. a picture can be divided into thirds not just by visible lines, the lines may be implied as well.

if you see the original picture the picture is divided into 3 thirds, the top a space with clouds, the centre third with the sun in the middle and the bottom third with the human subjects along the edge of the water
    Last edited by eikin; 2nd January 2006 at 06:27 PM.

putting the horizon at the centre isn't exactly new also, there's no need to shoot with a rule in mind all the time

might just make an interesting picture, you'll never know
    My first instinct was to have the Sun in the centre as I was in a hurry and afraid that the Sun would be down very soon..

I suppose I should have moved to the right so that the guys are nearer to the centre instead of near the edge to the right. I didn't think enough when I shot as I just wanted to get it in before the Sun went down.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 2nd January 2006 at 06:29 PM.

no, this is much worse actually.

i think there's some misconception with the rule of thirds here. a picture can be divided into thirds not just by visible lines, the lines may be implied as well.

if you see the original picture the picture is divided into 3 thirds, the top a space with clouds, the centre third with the sun in the middle and the bottom third with the human subjects along the edge of the water
    Ok thanks. I get what you mean.

yeah. i agree with eikin. the people are a tad bit too close too the edge, and it's probably just the cloud or something mayb? hmmm...

Ok thanks. I get what you mean.
    no problem, here's an illustration of how the original image is in fact following the rule of thirds

Quote Originally Posted by tngying
    yeah. i agree with eikin. the people are a tad bit too close too the edge, and it's probably just the cloud or something mayb? hmmm...
    Ok thanks. I was too immersed with the Sun and neglected the guys which could form an interesting subject. I didn't realise until after I shot and that's why I didn't do any cropping except correct a very slight tilt (0.5 degree) in the picture. But then I could sense something is not right somewhere but I couldn't pin point it.

Next time, I will most probably remember.

no problem, here's an illustration of how the original image is in fact following the rule of thirds

Thanks for the full illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Oppps. I missed your comment earlier.

Do you mean it looks too red/orange (i.e. compensated for Flourescent by adding red and/or cutting down red/orange in the original colours) and the scene looks to be under Tungsten light?

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Does it (picture below) looks more natural and better now?

I've removed the red/orange cast and blue over-saturation.

Does it (picture below) looks more natural and better now?

I've removed the red/orange cast and blue over-saturation.

it seem that this picture lost the mood of the original one...
    it looks rather like a very normal sunset... waiting for time to goes by...

dont you think so?
    Last edited by zhang3feng; 3rd January 2006 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhang3feng
    it seem that this picture lost the mood of the original one...
    it looks rather like a very normal sunset... waiting for time to goes by...

dont you think so?
    Yes, it looks like a normal sunset now because the colours are more natural (although not exactly 100% normal).

I suppose different colours convey different mood.

Some people prefer photographs to show colours as natural as possible while I prefer to look at photography as a form of painting with colour enhancement and that's why I usually shoot with compensation for flourescent light (having a red cast on the pictures).

I'm wondering what kind of WB compensation do people usually use when they shoot sunset.

Yes, it looks like a normal sunset now because the colours are more natural (although not exactly 100% normal).

Some people prefer photographs to show colours as natural as possible while I prefer to look at photography as a form of painting with colour enhancement and that's why I usually shoot with compensation for flourescent light (having a red cast on the pictures).

I'm wondering what kind of WB compensation do people usually use when they shoot sunset.
    i agree with your concept on colours.. afterall photography is an art & art is always subjective...

i would think that flourescent and cloudy WB are the most preferred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast