Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need advise for my india trip

Default Re: need advise for my india trip

Their 5 stars hotels can make Singapore 5 stars hotels look like fading stars! You do not have to worry about this.

On the whole, water and food in the hotels are OK. I had diarrhoea from food eaten in 5 stars hotel in HK,and London! So your luck or misfortune in case the food handlers were sick!

But DO NOT drink water from the streets. I would suggest drinking bottled water from proper vendors. But I had water from Sikh temples and was OK!

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    both got cancelled. applicants were asked if they were interested to go for Thunder Warrior or Ex Wallaby.
    ex xx cannot say
    Last edited by Klose; 7th January 2006 at 09:39 AM.

we should also be sensitive to what we (as in Singaporeans) say, especially if presumed or imagined, about other countries.

oh ok.. i was at the meeting and breifing 1. supposedly there are 2 meetings. ok nvm. the other one is this saturday where we will discuss everything in details.

first thing i asked was accomodation. which another officer expressed his concerns on security and internet access.

answers were major turn offs.

1) we will be staying at some YEP building. YEP is called Youth Exchange Building where it will house us, 6 persons to a bunk, with basic sleeping facilities... and was told that the bunks will be a tad better than those in OCS. i dunno how true is this... will check out with those previous "inmates" this friday.

2) makan will be somewhat non-spicy from i hear from another fellow officer who just came back from mumbai. weather there he claimed, morning 28 degrees, night 8 degrees.

3) No internet access.

4) Hotel stay is a Yes. but thats only when we are outstationed to other areas out of new delhi.

5) Laptops.. from what they say. Can bring along. But not recommended, he says the cadets there are somewhat abit sua ku and may abit itchy hands. so better not bring. Cameras are definately welcomed on occasions. but no camera on official meetings with those mega "rock stars" when we are gg to meet them.

6) Security questioned to be readdress at 2nd meeting as not enough details to be given. onli tell us that we will be extremely safe and we are asked to bring extra locks. in fact we have to bring 4 freaking locks each...

hahehehehhee.. i guess thats all... best part was the currency part.. cannot bring more than 300 sing. if not the excess will be donated to commandant's car fund... *uurrgghh.. i knew it was a joke... *

and to give us an idea of hw the currency was like. my so called in charge said.

i was there last year, i wanted to buy 10 taj mahal key chains.

- i wan 10 of those. hw much

-- 150 INR

- what ?!!? 150 INR ?? i give you 10

-- nono.. i give u 150 inr.

- *walks opposide and found the same item in another shop*

- hw much for 10 of those key chains ?

--- 100 inr.

- ok done deal. i'll get 10 of them.

den he told us 100 inr is like a few bucks in singapore onli.... tats why tell us dun bring so much unless we gg to carry or buy tons of them back..

gosh.. cultural exchange is the big headache when we are one big rojak of cultures here. suggestions was like asking us to do taiji and sing malay song with a tamil accent..

1. mumbai weather and new delhi quite different hor.

2. bring po chai pills

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    1. mumbai weather and new delhi quite different hor.

2. bring po chai pills
    we are advised to take typhiod. dunno if i got the spelling rite... not compulsory but recommended...

hmmmm.... yah. mumbai and new delhi is like quite far away lahs...

oh wells..... still dunno wwhat to give them aas gifts also....

frozen hainanese chicken rice seems to be a "good" idea...

Yah, po chai pills, charcoal tablets and a good supply of Lomotil is a must.

I'll be making a trip to India next week too... Calcutta for a week, hope it's good.

Heh, I just came back 2 weeks ago... and its now known as Kolkata...
    I don't even know whats Lomotil...

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Yah, po chai pills, charcoal tablets and a good supply of Lomotil is a must.

I'll be making a trip to India next week too... Calcutta for a week, hope it's good.

1. Don't eat food from the road-side hawker peddler - unless you are immune to any food poisoning.
    2. Don't give away donation to streets beggars - you're inviting more crowd.
    3. Hold-on to your belonging tightly when taking taxi or 3-wheeler. They drive like F1 driver with lots of potholes on the road.
    4. Don't drink directly from tap. Buy mineral water.
    5. When window shopping alone, don't go into the store if you don't intend to buy. You'll be locked-up and force to buy.
    Nikon D80 + SB800 + 50mm f/1.8 + 18-200mm VR + 105mm f/2.8 macro

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    oh wells..... still dunno wwhat to give them aas gifts also....
    bring macdonald chili packs because the food is not spicy, and even when they are it is not spicy from fresh chillis like the way most of us expect.

gift is easy, whisky is always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by medane
    1. Don't eat food from the road-side hawker peddler - unless you are immune to any food poisoning.
    2. Don't give away donation to streets beggars - you're inviting more crowd.
    3. Hold-on to your belonging tightly when taking taxi or 3-wheeler. They drive like F1 driver with lots of potholes on the road.
    4. Don't drink directly from tap. Buy mineral water.
    5. When window shopping alone, don't go into the store if you don't intend to buy. You'll be locked-up and force to buy.
    With regards to #3 and #5....

#3 - i really hope they'll drive like F1 driver becos the streets are always packed with people, cows, donkeys, horses, camels, bicycles, cars, rickshaws.....

#5 - If that's the case, i would had been locked up countless times.....relax.......

You got to try the Aloo Kosh at Karim's, near gate 1 of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi.

The mutton is so soft and tender and so delicious.....

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    bring macdonald chili packs because the food is not spicy, and even when they are it is not spicy from fresh chillis like the way most of us expect.

gift is easy, whisky is always appreciated.
    hmmm.. chilli packs.. shall consider it too.

we are giving to small kids age ranged like 14-17, so not realli recommended to give whisky lah... and moreover they are underage too...

hias. and the cultural exchange thing. aiyooh. worse part.

seems like many have gone to india and some of us will be going soon. hhahahaa.. tats realli cool....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12