Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Copyright Madness

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: More Copyright Madness

I suppose they have satisfied their legal obligation - now its just up to fellow consumers to educate each other - which is actually a good start with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Well, it is big enough to tell you it MIGHT not work with CERTAIN players. Getting 2 of 3 that can't work, I guess it should say, It MIGHT WORK with CERTAIN players.

I am not anti-corporation, just anti-stupidity.

Why should I buy a product which is obviously defective and puts huge restrictions on where and when I can use it? Why should I buy a CD that can only be played at home only on a CD player when there are so many consumer products that are able to play CDs?

More people should know about this and voice their opinions not by protests and marches, but by where it hurts the most; not buying products that are, for the most part, useless.

Even under copyright law, there is something called "fair use".
    If I were to rip tracks off a CD I bought into an MP3 player I own, it's considered fair use.

Why shouldn't I be able to listen to the music I buy in the medium I want?

On the point of EULAs; sure some of the terms don't seem enforceable but putting them there is just bad faith and treating each and every one of your customers like a potential criminal.

I'm not against these corporations from earning a profit but they seem to be doing it in an increasingly non-sensible way and everyone should know this.

If we were to take this scenario to an extreme, we would be forced to pay each and every time we wanted to listen to a song if they had the technology to do so. It might not be probable but it is still possible.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

vince123123
    Guests

Fair use sounds like a US law concept rather than a Singapore law concept.

Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    Even under copyright law, there is something called "fair use".
    If I were to rip tracks off a CD I bought into an MP3 player I own, it's considered fair use.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Fair use sounds like a US law concept rather than a Singapore law concept.
    I know but I think there's also some concept of fair use in singapore's copyright law.
    the 10% rule for photocopying books is related to fair use.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    I know but I think there's also some concept of fair use in singapore's copyright law.
    the 10% rule for photocopying books is related to fair use.
    The concept of fair use is also frequently abused. In any case, when the CD is purchased, it's actually on the condition that you will abide by the restrictions on usage. The ripping of CD into mp3s is transfer of the songs into another medium, which legally, you do have to right to use. Sounds stupid I know, but until the music industry change their preception of sale medium, the paradox is going to stay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12