Thread: Canon EOS 5DM4

Default Canon EOS 5DM4

Haven't been frequenting this forum for some time, realised the threads now are so much shorter!
    Let's create one for Canon 5DM4!

I'm interested in clarification of autofocus part of canon 5DM4.
    What does it mean: "AF points vary depending on the lens"?
    So which lens give 61 points? Which ones give 41 points only?

I'm also considering 6DM2 which is half the price of 5DM4.
    In comparing video performance of both cameras, does 5DM4 focus much faster and easier than 6DM2?

Because I'm currently using 6DM1, the video focusing is terribly slow and not accurate.

Any experts can comment?
    Or anyone using 5DM4 now can clarify?

Default Re: Canon EOS 5DM4

think there is one thread previously on 5DM4 but kinda disappers.

Coming from the 7DM2, this link may answer your question.
    http://www.canon.com.hk/cpx/en/techn...AF_points.html

Canon lens are separated into groups A - G

Group A lens can use all the AF points while Group G lens can only use say certain AF points.

For 5DM4 (based on the manual), Canon lens are separated in to groups A - K.
    The concept is similar (Group A lens can utilize all AF points while lesser AF points can be utilize as you go down the group).

Maybe the seniors and pros who have the 5DM4 can explain with more details.

Last edited by Ah Keong; 22nd November 2017 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks Ah Keong! That was a v useful link!
    So 5DM4 and 7DM2 uses the same focusing technology?
    Yes, would like to hear from other 5DM4 users regarding their opinion on focusing during video shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by pro_FHM View Post
    Thanks Ah Keong! That was a v useful link!
    So 5DM4 and 7DM2 uses the same focusing technology?
    Yes, would like to hear from other 5DM4 users regarding their opinion on focusing during video shooting.
    Believe the 5DM4 has a better focusing technology similar to 1DX2 (61-point High-Density Reticular AF II system including up to 41 cross-type AF sensors, with EOS iTR, f/8 AF)

the 7DM2 has an older focusing technology similar to 1DX (65-point AI Servo AF III system and all 65 cross-type AF sensors, with EOS iTR, f/8 AF)

I believe because the cropped sensor is smaller therefore the AF points cover more area than full frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Maybe the seniors and pros who have the 5DM4 can explain with more details.
    The grouping of lenses uses the maximum aperture of the lens as general 'sorting' criteria (with some exceptions).
    Based on my understanding how PDAF works, it becomes obvious why the usable amount of AF points changes depending on the maximum aperture of the lens used.
    The PDAF system compares beams of light. Here a few links that explain the details:
    https://photographylife.com/how-phas...utofocus-works
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus

The first link has the key statement:
    When the light reaches these two sensors, if an object is in focus, light rays from the extreme sides of the lens converge right in the center of each sensor (like they would on an image sensor).
    These extreme sides (= edges) of the lens are further apart on lenses with larger maximum aperture, which makes the misalignment of the beams (=misfocus) much more pronounced.
    In return, when one uses lenses with smaller maximum aperture, the resulting phase shift in the light beams is not pronounced enough for some focus points, thus they are disabled.

That's why the pattern in the lens grouping / AF points for the 7D2 (according the linked website) is:
    1) Dual cross-type AF for f/2.8 or faster, all other 65 AF points in cross-type - Group A
    2) All 65 AF points in cross-type for listed lenses faster f/5.6 - Group B
    3) Cross-type AF point group in the center, AF points further out act as vertical AF points - Group C to F
    4) Single cross-type AF points, few vertical and horizontal AF points around - Group G

Comparing the lenses in group B and C it does not look consistent to me. Example: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is in B, while EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is in C. On paper, the kit lens has the wider max aperture.
    So there might be additional factors or lens specs involved, not only the max aperture.
    EOS

Thanks Octarine. Very nice analysis!
    Are u using 5DM4? Is the focusing on moving subjects really accurate during video shooting?

Thanks Octarine. Very nice analysis!
    Are u using 5DM4? Is the focusing on moving subjects really accurate during video shooting?
    No, I'm not using this model. I just wanted to give you guys a few pointers and reasons for what you have noticed (and which seemed to puzzle you).
    For your question about focusing in video these last postings might not relevant anyway, because the standard PDAF system for still pictures is not used.
    In video mode, the Dual Pixel CMOS AF comes in. More details: http://www.canon-asia.com/cplus/en/dual-pixel-cmos-af/
    The Dual Pixel AF covers about 80% of the viewfinder, so there are limitations here as well.
    EOS

Ah I see.... Thanks!

i don't have 6d mark ii to compare with my 5d mark iv, but i can tell u the difference after i upgrade from 6d mark i to 5d mark iv

take photo using live view : 6d live view auto focus most of the time not tap sharp and i had to rely on manual focus, zoom in 10x and fine tune myself, where as 5d mark iv, i can either tap or use joystick to select focus point and it will keep track from there, no more manual unless shooting pass a cage etc, note a side note, if shooting people, it will recognized face and start tracking

video in : 6d does not have the auto track and it needs to manually shift the focus point, where as 5d mark iv one tap or joystick to select a focus point and it will keep track, moving forward, backward or sideways it follow steadily, you can also adjust the settings to track aggressively sensitivity

4k : 6d mark ii can only do 4k times lapses based on canon website and no 4k recording, where as 5d mark iv 4k is 1.74 (further zoom in) and 500mbs, my extreme pro compact flash 256gb can only record up to 1hr and with 18mb left

C Log : only 5d mark iv have C Log, 6d mark ii don't have, and there's no news that 6d mark ii will have C Log implement as well

Thanks MingWei for the elaboration on 5DM4!
    Are the new video features like auto track and settings adjustment easy to use?
    Is it all stated in the manual book in the box?

Is the face tracking for video mode too? is it accurate? if the person tilts the head away a little then it won't work? If got few faces then will it work?

so all 4K videos are 1.74x zoomed in? no way to have "what you see is what you get"?

do u use CF card or SD card? How fast must the card be?

Thanks again!

if you are used to the tradition menu like 6d on the video settings, it should be easy enough for you to use, it just adds more functionality from there
    and yes, its all stated in the manual book

it does face tracking on video, it is accurate, take note i did not set tracking very aggressive on sensitivity, i leave it to the default settings,
    if the person tilts the head it will still keep track, as long as the camera can recognize one faces, it will start tracking, but don't expect perfect
    everytime lol

yes, all 4k are 1.74x zoomed in, there's no way you see what you get, for 29.9fps and 23.9fps, make sure u set to NTSC

i use CF card for now, based on sandisk they recommended at least 65 VPG for 500mbs, when i went to canon services to upgrade C Log, the technician
    told me SD card can record 4k as well, just get the fastest from sandisk and you should be fine

although a lot of ppl complained about the video capabilities, on the good side it does true 4k recording and mjpeg quality still fine, with the
    additional of C Log

so all 4K videos are 1.74x zoomed in? no way to have "what you see is what you get"?
    The image sensor of the 5D4 offers a resolution of 6720 x 4480 pixels (30MP). 4k recording is done at 4096 x 2160 (4096 = '4k', ~8.8MP)
    So obviously, an image recorded on video shown at the same size as the still image will appear 'zoomed in'.
    It's not a bug or screw up, it's a simple matter of image resolution.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The image sensor of the 5D4 offers a resolution of 6720 x 4480 pixels (30MP). 4k recording is done at 4096 x 2160 (4096 = '4k', ~8.8MP)
    So obviously, an image recorded on video shown at the same size as the still image will appear 'zoomed in'.
    It's not a bug or screw up, it's a simple matter of image resolution.
    AHH! Great explanation!

New batch of 5DM4 now still have to send to Canon service to update the C-Log?
    Can I use Apple's iMovie program to edit C-Log files?
    I'm so used to using this program, very user-friendly
    Last edited by pro_FHM; 3rd December 2017 at 10:34 PM.

new patch no need, just check make sure have c log before you buy

i dont know about apply imovie program so you have to check if its support or not