Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse

Default Re: Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse

Well, the bottom of my optical mouse says "Wireless Intellimouse Explorer", but i've seen different mice with the same name at Sim Lim, so i'm guessing Microsoft was very not fastidious about giving a different name to each iteration of their wireless opticals. i use 1800-2000 mAH NIMH on my opticals; typically goes flat about 2-3 months. i've only put one half-dead AA Energizer in my Logitech laser, lasted about a month+. That the laser mouse runs on one AA also makes it significantly lighter than the optical.

The laser also tracks on different surfaces where optical can't-make-it, like my workdesk surface, and responds from a *much* longer distance - about 10m with line of sight to the receiver.

If the bottom of your MS mouse says "Wireless Intellimouse Explorer" only, without a version number, then it is most likely the very first wireless optical mouse from MS that was released 5 years ago. Is it this model?

If it is then it would be a really unfair comparison with the battery life of Logitech's laser mouse, which came out only last year....

The replacement for that particular MS model is "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0"; which is indicated accordingly on the bottom of the mouse I am using. I think a good analogy with the model names with be cars. Honda never changed the name for Accord or other models, but use the year of release to differentiate them, and each new release does look very different from the earlier versions.

By the way MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 also works on single AA battery even though the battery compartment can hold 2.

You mentioned that you used NiMH and got about 2~3 months on your "opticals", and then a half-dead AA alkaline on the Logitech and got 1+ month. Are you using that as the basis for your claim that the Logitech has "much longer" battery life than the MS mouse? If so I find it hard to be convinced. Like I mentioned earlier my MS mouse has been runnung for more than a year on 2 AA alkalines.

A side note about using NiMH batteries on wireless optical mouse: NiMH batteries are not best suited for low power applications where you expect more than a day of battery life. Reason is, NiMH batteries lose about 30% of their stored energy per month without any usage due to self discharge. It is usable of course, but you can expect less than 3 months of usage between charges.

I agree that laser mouse does track on more surfaces that conventional optical mouse, specifically, glossy surfaces or surfaces without much colour texture. Have you tried Microsoft's laser mouse also?

Finally, about operating distance. Operating distance is highly dependent on the operating environment. For RF products line of sight is not really necessary unless the obstructing object is conductive. I am not disputing that your Logitech mouse has a longer operating distance than your MS mouse. I just like to point out that it is an unfair comparison if you are comparing the latest Logitech mouse with an older MS mouse.

In addition, having a long operating distance may be good for a single user environment but will be a nuisance when multiple users of wireless mouse are located within range of each other because of interference. Unless you really need to operate your mouse at 10m away from your computer, I would say that operating distance of more than 2~3m is quite unecessary.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    By the way MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 also works on single AA battery even though the battery compartment can hold 2.
    Oh.. i didn't realise that... Anyway, it's still staying in the box..

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    If the bottom of your MS mouse says "Wireless Intellimouse Explorer" only, without a version number, then it is most likely the very first wireless optical mouse from MS that was released 5 years ago. Is it this model?

I agree that laser mouse does track on more surfaces that conventional optical mouse, specifically, glossy surfaces or surfaces without much colour texture. Have you tried Microsoft's laser mouse also?

Finally, about operating distance. Operating distance is highly dependent on the operating environment. For RF products line of sight is not really necessary unless the obstructing object is conductive. I am not disputing that your Logitech mouse has a longer operating distance than your MS mouse. I just like to point out that it is an unfair comparison if you are comparing the latest Logitech mouse with an older MS mouse.

In addition, having a long operating distance may be good for a single user environment but will be a nuisance when multiple users of wireless mouse are located within range of each other because of interference. Unless you really need to operate your mouse at 10m away from your computer, I would say that operating distance of more than 2~3m is quite unecessary.
    Yep, i think my optical is the first version. Glad that Microsoft has upgraded the mouse.

i haven't tried Microsoft's laser mouse, reason being that they don't make them in the curvy ergonomic shape (like the intellimouse), which i find a lot more comfy than the straight type.

i also realise operating distance is not really a function of 'optical' or 'laser', but rather the transmission hardware and technology. However, i do use my mouse at longer distances as a remote control when watching videos. i'm using a 24' LCD, which gives me the luxury of moving a lot further back to watch video or read stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    Yep, i think my optical is the first version. Glad that Microsoft has upgraded the mouse.

i haven't tried Microsoft's laser mouse, reason being that they don't make them in the curvy ergonomic shape (like the intellimouse), which i find a lot more comfy than the straight type.

i also realise operating distance is not really a function of 'optical' or 'laser', but rather the transmission hardware and technology. However, i do use my mouse at longer distances as a remote control when watching videos. i'm using a 24' LCD, which gives me the luxury of moving a lot further back to watch video or read stuff.
    Have you seen this model? I am not sure if it is available in SG yet.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=049
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12