Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S2 Is or Fz5???

Default Re: S2 Is or Fz5???

why not consider KM Dimage Z6? quite cheap. APO GT lens, 10x optical, with anti shake. ard $600+ In addition, there is a flash hotshoe so that you can add an external flash, something that neither the FZ5 or S2 IS has
    Last edited by Isaiahfortythirtyone; 3rd January 2006 at 05:36 PM.

thanks for the reply
    and seen like i got some reply here

and i also look at those suggested camera
    all seen ok

well, so far, what i can find for the S2 IS
    is it true that, when take photo
    the image will be blurry & the image is like lack of life & color in it,
    produce not very sharp & soft?
    auto mode is very poor?

then for Fz5,
    the image color look more better?
    Last edited by Daisuke; 3rd January 2006 at 10:23 PM.

another problem with FZ5 is with fast auto focus doesn't mean will always focus on the correct spot,misses most of the time if in low light conditions.
    this is a problem most super zoom cameras will face.
    although S2 have manual focus to correct the problem of auto-focus at 12x telezoom but do they have the auto focusing problem as well?
    oh and i find that the lens of FZ5 is quite sharp if you take in the right conditions.
    the AP people told me that canon battery life is longer which i had doubts whether it can operate for 2 days in winter season without charging or changing a new set of batteries.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 4th January 2006 at 10:54 AM.

As you can see from the discussion so far, there are some people who are for the S2 and some who are for the FZ5.

I was looking at both of these as well a few others in the super zoom class, and personally I think there is really very little difference between the 2 in terms of final picture quality, especially if most of the time you are printing 4R size.

In my opinion, only a couple of stand out differences.

The S2 feels a little more solid, and has a flip out and twist screen
    The FZ5 is lighter (Means you are more likely to carry it around), and it is easier to use, especially if you have not used a Cannon camera before, more idiot-proof.

As a lot of people have mentioned, pick both up, see which feels more comfortable in your hands, and which one you find the easiest to navigate through its functions.

Regardless which one you chose, I think that you will get a lot of satisfaction from either of these cameras.

Good luck in your selection.

Some newbie photo taken with my Canon S2IS at:

http://fumio.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...album09&page=2

No post-processing was done.

If you use the tripod more often than handheld then S2 is good for the swivel LCD and user friendly shortcut buttons (eg. MF, micro, metering and timer/multiple shutter button.

One thing can confirm - > S2 not good at night landscape photography because of ugly star effect, night snapshot of human subject is good though. However, it is excellent for Macro photography, excellent for dayshoot and also excellent for IR photos in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
    D200_AF-S 70-200 F2.8G VR_Tokina 12-24mm F4_TC-17E II

Quote Originally Posted by Fumio
    One thing can confirm - > S2 not good at night landscape photography because of ugly star effect, night snapshot of human subject is good though. However, it is excellent for Macro photography, excellent for dayshoot and also excellent for IR photos in my opinion.

is no wonder i seldom see night shots posted by S2 users but what you mean by "star effect" is it some form star-shaped glare from street lightings?
    macro of course is good due to its 0cm distance to the object from the lens.
    no lens in the super zoom market is capable of that yet.
    and also haven't seen IR photos from S2 users as well,so can't tell the difference,maybe roughly the same standards as the FZ series.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 5th January 2006 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84
    is no wonder i seldom see night shots posted by S2 users but what you mean by "star effect" is it some form star-shaped glare from street lightings?
    macro of course is good due to its 0cm distance to the object from the lens.
    no lens in the super zoom market is capable of that yet.
    and also haven't seen IR photos from S2 users as well,so can't tell the difference,maybe roughly the same standards as the FZ series.
    Wanting to do IR but adapter no stock so cannot play with filters.

Will be taking some night scenes soon and will post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisuke
    Thanks for the reply
    Beside The high quality videos
    can S2 IS also can take high quality picture?

i have test drive both camera
    seen like Fz5 can take a better night pic and with better (looking the lcd display)
    any other input on these camera anyone?
    Don't use LCD display to make judgement of one camera.
    Shoot the same object, same lighting for two different cameras than print it out without touch up than ... it is your final decision before buying.

I heard some of S2IS is having problem when you are using "night scene" mode.
    Few red dots can be seen. Canon is investigating right now but other mode such as P
    or Av are working well.
    I did compare the result of S2 vs Pro-1... wow shocking me that S2 is better.
    Is it because of Digic-II better in processing speed and richer in colour compare
    with Digic-I ? Any comment ?

I personally owned a S2 IS since end November 05, and no regrets buying it.

Have taken pictures using it, which you can check the photos at this website. Most of them, except Siem Reap ones, are taken by S2 IS

Also taken fireworks video at Bangkok, which, by the way, much nicer than the 15 minutes at Singapore. It's wonderful.

Only thing is, I want to upgrade to DSLR now...... duh...

Fz5 is really damn good, been using it more than 7 months..
    although i have upgraded to canono 350D, i still kept my Fz5...

if your budget is around $900, do read up on the Pana Lx1 as well.
    i've seen many amazing pictures taken with it...

has all the manual features for you to learn before embarking on to the DSLR

I Own A S2 Is. Just To Let U Know That I Am Very Very Satisfied With It.

If only between FZ5 or the S2 IS,
    then obviously the Canon S2 IS lar...

If consider others within your budget,
    How about a Fuji S5600Z? 55mm threaded lens barrel - no need buy adaptors to use conversion lens and filters. I'm using one and only complaint is the slightly "soft" on details (when viewed at 100% crop), but on prints it's exceptionally good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12