Thread: Is the Fstops on Digicams similar to conventional SLRs?

Default Is the Fstops on Digicams similar to conventional SLRs?

AS topic suggests....

I came across the f stops on digicams differ to SlRs by a few stops...

May i know where can i find out the F stop of a digicam (eg F2.8) equates to which f stop in a SLR??

I think u mean depth of field?
    the f-stop shd be relative to the frame I think, i.e. "how much light".
    the dof between medium format, 35mm and digicam lenses all diff...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by denizenx
    I think u mean depth of field?
    the f-stop shd be relative to the frame I think, i.e. "how much light".
    the dof between medium format, 35mm and digicam lenses all diff...
    i cc....

I was just wondering f2.8 on digicams would be ard which f stop in an slr....35mm ones...in particular....=)

f-stops in a digicam are identical to the f-stops in a conventional camera as far as the light metering is concerned. Meaning if you shoot 1/125s at f/8 on iso 100 film in a conventional camera to get a properly exposed shot, the same setting would give the right exposure for a digicam as well...

But as denizenx pointed out, the depth of field at a particular f-stop would be different between a digicam and a film camera... The digicams have much larger depth of fields because the "film" size and hence the absolute focal lengths are so small...

Midnight
    Guests

What Radix Lecti wrote is completely correct and summarises the entire situation very well. As noted, digicam aperture f-numbers still work the way you would expect in terms of exposure control. However, with the exception of full-frame digital SLR bodies whose physical sensor sizes correspond to the 36x24mm format of 35mm film, since the f-stop refers to the ratio of the aperture diameter to the physical lens focal length and most digicam lens focal lengths are shorter than a 35mm lens with the same field of view, the physical aperture size at the same f-number and same 35mm-equivalent focal length will be smaller for a digicam than for a 35mm camera (just as the aperture size for a 35mm camera will be smaller than that for a medium format camera).

The following web page is considered to be an authoritative source on this subject: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/index.html . Basically, if the focal length multiplier of a digicam is N with respect to the equivalent 35mm focal length (eg. if a physical 10mm focal length on the digicam corresponds to a 35mm-equivalent of 40mm, then N=40/10=4), then the depth of field obtained by the digicam set to an aperture of f-number 1/q, is the same as that of a 35mm camera set to an f-number of 1/(N x q). In the case of N=4, then a digicam at f/4 has the same depth of field as a 35mm camera at f/16.

As you can imagine, this typically means that most (non-SLR) digital cameras tend to have plenty of DOF to spare, even at their widest aperture settings. This is generally a good thing, but it can be irritating when one is trying to employ selective focus in one's composition.

Originally posted by Midnight

As you can imagine, this typically means that most (non-SLR) digital cameras tend to have plenty of DOF to spare, even at their widest aperture settings. This is generally a good thing, but it can be irritating when one is trying to employ selective focus in one's composition.
    And, I might add, if you have a P&S digicam and still want to enjoy the ability to blur the background, the best way is to use a telephoto attachment.