Thread: +10 vs +4 close up test (HUGE FILE WARNING!!)

Default +10 vs +4 close up test (HUGE FILE WARNING!!)

Just bought a Hoya 52mm +10 close-up filter today. Tested it out to see how it work.

All pics taken with S602 at f/8, aperture priority, 6X zoom.

+4 close up:

Focusing distance ~ 23cm

No comments on this one, think lots of pple already have the +4.

+10 close up:

Focusing distance ~ 8cm

As you can see, there only a little softening at the edges (should not be visible for insect shots since background is completely blurred). However, 8cm seems a little too close for insect shots and focusing is very sensitive to slight shakes (I foresee many OOF pics...)

+14 close up:

Focusing distance ~ 6cm

Edges are very soft, focusing distance is way too close for insect shots. Also, any slight shake will render the pic OOF (focusing range is only abt 6cm +/- 5mm). I think this setup is totally unusable due to softening and sensitivity in focusing.

Also did a test where I place the camera 10cm in front of the monitor using the +10. In the end, the zoom required for the camera to focus is abt 81.6mm (wrt 35mm cameras).

I think with this setup, I would rather use the +4 with max zoom. Further focusing distance with greater magnification... Further more, the pincushioning is horrible.

Here's a pic of the +10 close-up filter:

Tmr would be going down to BG, I think that would be a good test of the +10 (though I foresee a lot of problems already... due to the sensitivity in focusing distance)
    Last edited by darkness; 8th November 2002 at 10:57 PM.

maybe bring a tripod will help?

i tried +8 b4 and it's super easy to OOF...

enjoy your BG trip tomm.

some of my shots using mpenza's +10 macro len.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=15966
    Light. Artistic. Moments.

malkw, did you handhold or use a tripod/monopod? Did you find a lot of difficulty in focusing?

Originally posted by darkness
    malkw, did you handhold or use a tripod/monopod? Did you find a lot of difficulty in focusing?

all handheld, +10 is more sensitive but can be easily overcome with few more shots.

with +10, normally u dun need to use full 6x zoom, unless u want to take a close-up of the insect head or specific part.
    Light. Artistic. Moments.

Thanks malkw, will try out tmr. Though I'm rather uncomfortable with the focusing distance. I think it's way too near insects and they'll probably not stay put for me to shoot them...

Also, becoz the filter is quite a lot longer than the +4, there's actually some vignetting at the wide angle end of the camera when used with my UV filter. Fortunately, don't think I'll be using much of the wide angle end with the filter.

Originally posted by darkness
    Thanks malkw, will try out tmr. Though I'm rather uncomfortable with the focusing distance. I think it's way too near insects and they'll probably not stay put for me to shoot them...

Also, becoz the filter is quite a lot longer than the +4, there's actually some vignetting at the wide angle end of the camera when used with my UV filter. Fortunately, don't think I'll be using much of the wide angle end with the filter.
    Y not remove the UV n just use the +10?

would the additional be almost useless one u have the +10 on....?

And would it cause any noticeable degradation in pic with each additional filter on?

Originally posted by Revo

Y not remove the UV n just use the +10?

would the additional be almost useless one u have the +10 on....?

And would it cause any noticeable degradation in pic with each additional filter on?

The UV filter is only 3mm thick. Removing it does not decrease the amount of vignetting significantly. Anyway, I doubt I'll be doing much wide angle shots with the close-up filter attached anyway.

Usually pple buy the best UV filters available (since they intend to keep it on all the time to protect the lens). The Hoya Super HMC supposedly only cause < 0.7% refraction, and that should not cause much image degradation.

i cc....

Thx for the info....

As a follow up to the image quality of the +10 filter, I've traded my +10 for a additional +4. Here are some comparison pics of 2 pieces of +4 compared to 1 single +10.

2 x +4:

+10 (same as above pic, put here for convenience):

As you can see, the +10 has better image quality (a lot less distortion) and higher magnification (obviously!) due to the double element design. However, focusing distance is shorter for the +10, which may be an issue if you are shooting certain insects.

Conclusion: if you are using 2 x +4 filters, try to avoid the corners as much as possible.
    Last edited by darkness; 22nd November 2002 at 01:03 AM.