Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Assembling a PC - MY or SG cheaper?

Default Re: Assembling a PC - MY or SG cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I bought 4 x 4MB RAM for $700

Haha ... I remember way back, I got my original Apple 5.25" Floppy drive for $700!

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Haha, thanks for your views. My reason's are not any that you've listed, but rather I just felt that self assembly is the most cost effective way. My current PC is also self-assembled and I've spent almost 3 problem-free years on it. I believe that if you get quality parts then your PC should outlast any Dell or Compaq machine out there.

Think ibs' pointers were just a general indication of reason for DIY if it for your own use really heheh...

But he did bring up a good point about buying ready made system in Malaysia. The thing is how PC savvy is your sister and if something goes wrong, would you be able to rush down to repair it if something happens. I built all my own systems including friends as well but then again I am here with them in Singapore so if anything happens I can get to it quick.

But if your sis has no other knowledge apart from using certain software on the PC, if something bad happens it might be alot easier for her to send the PC to the shop to be services. I usually have this kind of problem with people I fix up system for who has very little PC skill and sometime even from those who claim they use a PC for years but still managed to screw it up and this gets worst when they also use it for the internet. But whenever I set PCs up for those who knows how to maintain their system and can solve basic to intermediate level PC problems, thos PC are never down and carries on working for years.

With ready made PC your sis have easy setup disc which at the very least gets her system up and running again if something bad happens with the OS. And her hardware all takend care of by the PC company in Malaysia. But if she is capable and pretty PC savvy then I guess it is worth building her a system. It is really about how comfortable she is around using the PC.

Is it really cheaper to build system in Singapore? I always thought building PC in Malaysia is cheaper given Mahathir set up for technology product taxes to be low to encourage more of the nation's people to embrace using computers. When I was in KL where ever my cousins bring me to all those PC shops I saw the prices and I found the prices to be cheaper then Singapore and some can even be bargain down further. The only time I saw prices that are more expensive are in the smaller town or states.

Point noted. Will recommend a Dell to her then

Thanks for all the replies and a Happy New Year to all!

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I bought 4 x 4MB RAM for $700
    Circa 1985: Commodore PC - Amiga 1000. 500Kb: $500 & 1 Mb Ram $1,000.
    External 3.5" Floppy Drive: $700.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Ah well, its either late 1980s or very early 1990s.. remember cause I was still in my teens and accessed the Internet using Gopher and some email program that I can't remember the name anymore
    ok since we're on pissing contest here ...I start off using 1200bps modem. We didn't even have internet back then. We setup bulletin board (BBS) using Qmodem, Procomm... etc .... later when internet first roll out, we "surf the net" via telnet with Crosstalk. that was in oohhh..1970s. back then Apple was still a pretty big box running CP/M (?? if my memory serves me well) and IBM just started developing PC. Bill Gate was working on PCDOS. Shortly after something shrank so they called it microsoft dos (msdos).

Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    I only build PC for my own use nowadays. I used to build for my sis (she is a graphic designer) and other relatives. Eventually I became the slave to them and standby everyday to help them in anything about computers. Yeah, the hardware could be and usually reliable. But there were 1001 things that could go wrong like viruses, dead pixels and scratched floppy. Nowadays I only help them in configuring the spec at Dell's website and take them to Suntec to order. Then I wash my hands off and spend more time with my cameras.

By the way, I'm thinking of selling the 3-month old Mac Mini. An impulsive purchase that ends up as an expensive and oversized paperweight. Will advertise later.
    Haha, I built my own PC for years (IIRC 1985-PC, 1987-XT, 1989-AT, 1995-P2, 1999-P3), those times not many ppl knew much abt PC, then some girls asked me to build for them as well, and then some asked me to repair for them as well, all on good will, then 1 of them became my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Haha, I built my own PC for years (IIRC 1985-PC, 1987-XT, 1989-AT, 1995-P2, 1999-P3), those times not many ppl knew much abt PC, then some girls asked me to build for them as well, and then some asked me to repair for them as well, all on good will, then 1 of them became my wife.
    wahahaah, too bad i married liao... good tactic for those single guys

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234