Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assembling a PC - MY or SG cheaper?

Default Re: Assembling a PC - MY or SG cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by burger
    are the cpu and motherboard that you listed exactly what is stated on the invoice?

Uh oh...here we go...

The PM8M board supports a socket 478 processor and not the LGA 775 processor.... better recheck the specs dude...

LGA775 cpu

socket 478

both are pinless

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Anyone been keeping up with hardware and stuff? Was thinking of assembling a PC (without monitor) for my sis in KL, but would it be cheaper to get the PC from SG (Sim Lim) or KL (Low Yatt)? Not taking into account transport and such...
    Building a PC is cheaper in Singapore than KL. But frankly, if your sis is a typical non-power user, she is better off with a Dell or Mac with warranty.

I have a self-assembled small form factor barebone PC and its mobo went wonkers after a couple of months. After so much back and forth with about everyone who had anything to do with the system, I waited 3 months for the distributor’s service centre to get it fixed. The reason they gave was that they do not carry stock anymore, so they had to ship my system to Taiwan for repair!!

I’ve built PCs during my student days and I find it fun and most certainly cost effective. But these days, after factoring in all the troubles, I find the total cost of ownership of a DIY PC is higher than a warranted system from a respected dealer. It’s a no brainer really.

The way I see it, you can only appreciate the cost savings or the joy of building a DIY PC if:

1. you don’t mind being the personal 24/7 tech support for the those people you build the PCs for
    2. you got a super lobang and got all your parts at below cost price
    3. your time is free OR you have too much free time
    4. overclocking is a sport for you or you think the extra 2ghz will give you an edge in playing counterstrike or curing cancer
    5. your goal in life is to assemble the fastest, most silent system in southeast asia and brag about it at hardwarezone.com.
    6. your system will attract the opposite sex
    7. you think casings with glowing neon lights are the pinnacle of industrial design

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out of my system. In any case, good luck!
    Last edited by ibs; 29th December 2005 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibs
    Building a PC is cheaper in Singapore than KL. But frankly, if your sis is a typical non-power user, she is better off with a Dell or Mac with warranty.

I have a self-assembled small form factor barebone PC and its mobo went wonkers after a couple of months. After so much back and forth with about everyone who had anything to do with the system, I waited 3 months for the distributorís service centre to get it fixed. The reason they gave was that they do not carry stock anymore, so they had to ship my system to Taiwan for repair!!

Iíve built PCs during my student days and I find it fun and most certainly cost effective. But these days, after factoring in all the troubles, I find the total cost of ownership of a DIY PC is higher than a warranted system from a respected dealer. Itís a no brainer really.

The way I see it, you can only appreciate the cost savings or the joy of building a DIY PC if:

1. you donít mind being the personal 24/7 tech support for the those people you build the PCs for
    2. you got a super lobang and got all your parts at below cost price
    3. your time is free OR you have too much free time
    4. overclocking is a sport for you or you think the extra 2ghz will give you an edge in playing counterstrike or curing caner
    5. your goal in life is to assemble the fastest, most silent system in southeast asia and brag about it at hardwarezone.com.
    6. your system will attract the opposite sex
    7. you think casings with glowing neon lights are the pinnacle of industrial design

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out of my system. In any case, good luck!
    Haha, thanks for your views. My reason's are not any that you've listed, but rather I just felt that self assembly is the most cost effective way. My current PC is also self-assembled and I've spent almost 3 problem-free years on it. I believe that if you get quality parts then your PC should outlast any Dell or Compaq machine out there.

Quote Originally Posted by burger
    are the cpu and motherboard that you listed exactly what is stated on the invoice?

Yup, it is

Mine is the MSI PM8M2-V whoch supports LGA775 CPUs. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ong
    Yup, it is
    Errr, something is wrong leh... as burger pointed out, the LGA 775 processor should not be able to fit onto the socket 478 motherboard, like trying to plug a 3 pin plug into a 2 pin wall socket..

Aiya, thought got another Costronic case

bernard

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Aiya, thought got another Costronic case

bernard
    ha ha ha ha, whew.......

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Surprise surprise let me tell you...I am still using that one in my office now on two PCs!!!!. My sale coordinator's and Sale Executive PCs..their only lifeline to the internet!...yes....28.8 Accura in 2005!. Just goes to show what a stingy boss we have hor...and what am I using? Would you believe a 6 yr old 56k Rockwell modem. That is why I can't wait ti get home and cruise with my ADSL.
    Well....I guess your boss has his/her own idea.....If he is stingy....he would jolly well getting a broadband because the telco and dial subscription plan maight eventually exceed those broadband plan.....perhaps to them fast modem = surfing/chit chating???? slow modem = high productivy ???

To DIY or buy from vendor (DELL, HP etc), you would have to consider the following.
    1) Are you going to provide support for your sis?
    2) If there is a problem, would you be able to isolate (hardware or software)?
    3) RMA process and turn around time for faulty hardware?
    4) How much downtime can your sis tolerate?

If you are technically sound, DIY would be good as you can select parts that you preferred.
    If not, I would suggest buying from DELL. Thought it could be slightly higher in price, your sister will get phone support (You can sleep peacefully ). Any suspected hardware issue, they will come down to troubleshoot and replace ON-SITE. There is always a recovery CD if it is software failure..

Generally for hardware, if it does not failed within the first 6 months, them it should be ok.
    I am still using a DIY P2 which is about 6 years old....

Quote Originally Posted by ibs
    I only build PC for my own use nowadays. I used to build for my sis (she is a graphic designer) and other relatives. Eventually I became the slave to them and standby everyday to help them in anything about computers. Yeah, the hardware could be and usually reliable. But there were 1001 things that could go wrong like viruses, dead pixels and scratched floppy. Nowadays I only help them in configuring the spec at Dell's website and take them to Suntec to order. Then I wash my hands off and spend more time with my cameras.

By the way, I'm thinking of selling the 3-month old Mac Mini. An impulsive purchase that ends up as an expensive and oversized paperweight. Will advertise later.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    My 40MB HDD cost me appr $1k in 1990s.
    I got a 128mb ram memory for $1K for a laserjet that cost $2K.

Year: 1992.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tOGGY
    I got a 128mb ram memory for $1K for a laserjet that cost $2K.

Year: 1992.

I got a 8MB SIMM memory module at $200.

Do shops like Fuwell help u build the PC for free if u only buy the casing, motherboard, processor and ram? I think my sound card, video card, harddisk, and cdroms are still usable.

I m still using 1.4GHz AMD with only 256 MB ram and its impossible to run high end simulation analysis software. And my motherboard cannot take more than 120 Gb per harddisk. So thinking of making my system more powerful especially the ram while keeping the other harddisk and cards.
    Last edited by boroangel; 29th December 2005 at 07:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by espn

I got a 8MB SIMM memory module at $200.
    I bought 4 x 4MB RAM for $700

Still remembering 10MB HDDs Big suckers

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Do shops like Fuwell help u build the PC for free if u only buy the casing, motherboard, processor and ram? I think my sound card, video card, harddisk, and cdroms are still usable.

I m still using 1.4GHz AMD with only 256 MB ram and its impossible to run high end simulation analysis software. And my motherboard cannot take more than 120 Gb per harddisk. So thinking of making my system more powerful especially the ram while keeping the other harddisk and cards.
    I have introduced my friend and auntie to Fuwell and to build up a pc for u, u must pay additional $5-$10 for their service. Duno y they charge differently also. i think tis shop is one of the trustables in Sim Lim. Yeah they will build up for u but not sure if u can bargain to Free ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast