Thread: Canon EOS 350D or Nikon D70s

Default Re: Canon EOS 350D or Nikon D70s

D70s kit...
    lens plus kit stuff...

include gst thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mazeppa26
    hi
    newbie here... any advice with regards to the above questions...besides trying out both to see the feel, wad else is there to help me choose either one. (next to the difference in MP that is and LCD screen) thanks...

If you are not concerned about which camera system you'd like to grow into and if you are just comparing these two bodies, there is no contest. The D70s beats the 350D hands down when it comes to ease of use. The User Interface of the 350D is IMO a PITA from a user perspective. I like my cameras simple and intitutive to use; the 350D doesn't fit that bill for me.

Both bodies are about equal in specs, but I'd go with the D70s anytime because of the crummy interface on the 350D.

Believe it or not, the D70s viewfinder (dreadfully small enough as it is) is actually better than the one on the 350D. I've got 6/6 vision and even I had a hard time with the VF and VF readout of the 350D.
    Last edited by Tetrode; 31st December 2005 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    If you are not concerned about which camera system you'd like to grow into and if you are just comparing these two bodies, there is no contest. The D70s beats the 350D hands down when it comes to ease of use. The User Interface of the 350D is IMO a PITA from a user perspective. I like my cameras simple and intitutive to use; the 350D doesn't fit that bill for me.

Both bodies are about equal in specs, but I'd go with the D70s anytime because of the crummy interface on the 350D.

Believe it or not, the D70s viewfinder (dreadfully small enough as it is) is actually better than the one on the 350D. I've got 6/6 vision and even I had a hard time with the VF and VF readout of the 350D.
    Yeah, come to think of it I find the GUI on the 350D a bit hard to navigate around compared to my 300D. Unlike last time, instead of "confirming" your settings by half depressing the shutter button you actually have to press "Set" this time.

But too bad all shops is out of stocks for D70S. And i went Cathay Photo they offer me $1850 Any idea where can i buy D70S at around $17XX?

The 350D is not that difficult to use lah. U always need some time to get use to a new camera. Once u get use to it, it won't slow u down.

Many like to claim that the small size and lightweight of the Canon 350D is a downside. But on the other hand, u can also say that at least Canon provide an option for pple who want to get a smaller camera body for convenience sake, without sacrificing much on quality. If u feel uncomfortable with the feel, there r 20D & above..

To me, the lightweight is a plus, but that is a very personal preference. Only the user can determine what's more important to him or her. BTW, come to think abt it, if u want the 350D to look bigger, can always add on a battery grip right? & u have the option of taking it off when u feel like travelling light..

Ultimately, both Canon and Nikon should be very fine, they r very safe bet. Anyone who can't take good pics out of 350D or D70s certainly shouldn't blame it on the camera.. I suggest that u go with your feeling, deep inside your heart which system do u like better?

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo
    The 350D is not that difficult to use lah. U always need some time to get use to a new camera. Once u get use to it, it won't slow u down.

Many like to claim that the small size and lightweight of the Canon 350D is a downside. But on the other hand, u can also say that at least Canon provide an option for pple who want to get a smaller camera body for convenience sake, without sacrificing much on quality. If u feel uncomfortable with the feel, there r 20D & above..

To me, the lightweight is a plus, but that is a very personal preference. Only the user can determine what's more important to him or her. BTW, come to think abt it, if u want the 350D to look bigger, can always add on a battery grip right? & u have the option of taking it off when u feel like travelling light..

Ultimately, both Canon and Nikon should be very fine, they r very safe bet. Anyone who can't take good pics out of 350D or D70s certainly shouldn't blame it on the camera.. I suggest that u go with your feeling, deep inside your heart which system do u like better?
    I don't have a problem with the size of the camera, it is the UI I feel that sucks. But size does matter to some esp those with big paws.

For me, the test is that if I can't shoot quickly with it within 5mins of fiddling with it (and not RTFM), it fails (took me 10-15mins). Cameras should be easy to use off the bat. We shouldn't have to refer to the manual in order to figure out what is where and for what.

New cameras have too many features and gadgets these days that get in the way of shooting. And Canon is very guilty in this area of stuffing cameras with needless functions and gadgets. And Nikon is not far behind these days.

Also, the VF and VF readout for the 350D is too small and awkward for fast shooting. I have to take my eyes off the viewfinder to check the settings on the LCD display above the LCD screen.
    Last edited by Tetrode; 1st January 2006 at 04:07 AM.

eh merdeka audio at Sim lim square selling 350D at 1560 nia leh...
    does those famous places like CP AP MScolor sell more ex then ?

Quote Originally Posted by bluecoral81
    eh merdeka audio at Sim lim square selling 350D at 1560 nia leh...
    does those famous places like CP AP MScolor sell more ex then ?
    I think the price is before GST. The range should be ard $1,650 and DEPENDS on what freebies included.

Default Re: canon EOS 350D or Nikon D70s

Quote Originally Posted by dAoNi
    hmm.. not that bad lar... saw alot of event photographers are using Cannon instead of Nikon.. dunnoe why.. maybe becoz their lens look much stylo than nikon ba or maybe becoz of it's full-frame?...
    I'm not surprised. In fact, Canon still dominates Digital SLR (and digital compact) market in the world. Even in Singapore, when I shoot events, fashion shows, photoshots, studio shoots, model, outings, Canon DSLR still outnumbers other DSLR. Ratio is about 60-70% of users use Canon.

If you buy camera for ergonomics, buy D70s, but if you want camera that delivers excellent picture quality (after all that's what camera is for), then buy 350D or 20D.

Quote Originally Posted by edward1
    If you buy camera for ergonomics, buy D70s, but if you want camera that delivers excellent picture quality (after all that's what camera is for), then buy 350D or 20D.
    Hey com'on la~ excellent picture quality depends on how u use the camera too... give a layman 20D it's still a layman picture... & in terms of picture quality lens plays a part too..

so for both nikon & canon.. they both produced very good picture quality.. unless u r those perfectionist.. "I WANT ONLY THE BEST & EVERYTHING BEST!" then takes out peanuts from pocket to trade with the best DSLR.. LOL offence huh~

seems like there are lots of nikon fans and supporters voicing out.
    I'm a Nikon user myself but personally prefer the colours produced by Canon.

Depending on your financial status, type of photography you do and time you have for this hobby, can actually decide which system to stick to.

If you are into taking portraits or photos with lots of portrait (vertical) format, D70s does not have the vertical grip option and holding the D70 with a portrait lens and flash mounted can injure the wrist (i injured mine) 350D has grip option and the grip is very comfortable, i've used it myself. However, if you're more into taking landscapes, it doesn't really matter D70 or 350D, although some have claimed Canon wide lenses cannot make it, while others have said Canon's full frame sensors (5D and 1Ds2) are good for wide landscape takers. If you've got the cash, upgrading to D200 would solve this problem.

If you have lots of time, you might want to consider the D70s becos the AWB need a little improvement for consistency. Most of the time I know the more "advanced" shooters shoot in RAW to preserve the picture and adjust the WB later on. Canon's AWB is not perfect but i find it accurate 80% of the time. A search in Nikon forum for AWB will find you lots of examples. However, if you chose the Nikon system, the Fujifilm S2/S3pro is available to you and they provide fantastic JPEGs right out of the camera. I'm eyeing the S3Pro myself. Touching on RAW processing, Nikon capture is available for ~$160-180 while DPP is provided free with Canon.

Flash system, many have touted Nikon to be the best in flash systems. Not too sure about it but the wireless CLS system to trigger your nikon sb600/800 remotely from your D70 without the need for extra equipment is quite fun and a cost saver. Though some argued that Canon first came up with wireless flash in 1998 with the 550EX speedlite and transmitter ST-E2. But you needed to buy the ST-E2 which Nikon "built into" D70.

Canon uses CMOS sensors which offer less noise in pictures even at high ISOs. 8Megapix gives for more cropping room which is good for beginners but eats up memory space. D70's 6megapix is enough for me and trained me to shoot properly and get every picture right because I cannot afford to crop much later.

If you like small size, there's the new Nikon counterpart D50 following the 350D footsteps. offering small sized body.

Instead of blindly following "NIKON/Canon and you wun go wrong" or "NIKON/Canon is the best" isn't going to lead you anywhere. Do a thorough research on whether you need a DSLR even in the first place. And the pros and cons of each system. I feel Canon is always leading the camera market with technology advancement but Nikon provides for more "homely" approach giving users a sense of familiarity and nostalgia in the new equipment launched.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Save up Buy Both ,...

Than you know what you like ... :P

Price quoted from MS on 31st Dec:

1. Nikon D50 + kit lens+ promo $1288(inc.gst) free 1 G Sd card, nikon professional bag,filter entitle to buy nikon 55-200mm len at $199(inc,gst) from agent ,usual price: $399

2. Nikon D70s +Kit lens by order $1770(inc.gst) bundle with 1 G Lexar 80x speed CF card

3. Canon 350D + kit lens $1632(inc.gst) cash only free 1 G sandisk ultra II 60x,len book, Calibrator from agent
    D200_AF-S 70-200 F2.8G VR_Tokina 12-24mm F4_TC-17E II

Dun waste time and save some money for the lens -> go for the Nikon D50.

If in future, you are passionate enough in photography you will definitely upgrade your Cam in time.

Personal view.

btw, i will be getting the D50 tmr.
    D200_AF-S 70-200 F2.8G VR_Tokina 12-24mm F4_TC-17E II

Quote Originally Posted by flying
    btw, i do not believe in re-processing images with PS. I like it stock. So at stock, my opinion is the 350D produces better colors.
    is this a joke

TS,

Go for second hand and get a 10d.
    Last edited by Klose; 1st January 2006 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    is this a joke

hi all the pros out here, can i check with u guys, how big is the difference between the 1/4000 and 1/8000 shutter speed?

For example, i wanna shoot sports and animal photography, will the 1/4000 speed be able to do shots eg. freeze them

it can even stop the bullet
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    hi all the pros out here, can i check with u guys, how big is the difference between the 1/4000 and 1/8000 shutter speed?

For example, i wanna shoot sports and animal photography, will the 1/4000 speed be able to do shots eg. freeze them
    1/500 is good enough for sports already no need hit till 1/4000, unless they r really moving extermly fast~!

Hmmmm.... I have to disagree on that point, the 350D has been steadily gaining ground on the D70s. It's no longer seen to be a "toy". But anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartshape
    Bro, if you want a handy camera that can produce excellent images, and you're more of a hobbyist than a professional, a good choice is the 350D.
    But if you shoot for a price, then it must be the D70s. Because if you are seen with a 350D amongst the pros, horrible as it may sound, people will be laughing behind your back, for using an 'baby' camera.
    Thus is the world. The Canon has higher resolution, and is in no way lesses than the D70s. And it is more advance in terms of functions and technology you may say. But there are things made to cater for fun and things made to cater for work. You know what I mean.
    So bottom line, if for fun 350D. If for work D70s. That's how I would decide.
    I was going thru the same dilema, but decided on the D70s for the same reason.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast