Thread: Tamron 90mm f2.8 for portraits. Examples?

Default Tamron 90mm f2.8 for portraits. Examples?

Have very limited budget and would like to get a good lens for portraits and macro. Not sure whether I need to buy two separate lenses or can do with a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro.

Anyone with examples of picture quality for portrait use?
    And anyone know about any limitations of using this macro lens for portrait work?

Default Re: Tamron 90mm f2.8 for portraits. Examples?

Quote Originally Posted by benedium
    Have very limited budget and would like to get a good lens for portraits and macro. Not sure whether I need to buy two separate lenses or can do with a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro.

And anyone know about any limitations of using this macro lens for portrait work?
    It's a very well corrected lens that, for me, has performed admirably both for macro and at waist-up portrait distances. It's definitely easier to manually focus with the typical f1.8/2.0 85/100mm lens, and if you need that wide open aperture look, these will be better than the Tamron, though the Tamron's bokeh is actually very good.

I didn't think it was going to be any decent, wide open, for a waist up shot but it turned out to be surprisingly usable (a little bit of CA wide open at 2.8 but few lenses don't exhibit this). I have often shot it at f/16 for the same kind of pictures and it's been terrific, which is again pleasantly surprising.

Cons: Ugly plasticky looking lens. Flimsy feeling barrel. What's up with the 55mm filter thread? I added a 62mm step ring immediately. AF speed (Canon mount) is so so but I don't care for AF much ;-)

Examples? None to share I am afraid. You just have to take my word for it.

Thank you so much for the reply... i almost thot everybody was sick of my silly questions
    Anyone have examples of Tamron 90mm f2.8 lens used for portraits?

Hi benedium, PM you liao... This lens is excellent and worth the $$$ invested...

Owned it for a while, thinking that it could save me money by serving me as both a portrait as well as macro lens. Like what kahheng mentioned, AF is so-so. Actually for me, AF is worse than so-so, since I depend heavily on AF. For tele subjects, my copy seemed to hunt like no tomorrow when taking candids. Unless taking posed shots, I didn't find my copy very useful. Eventually got rid of it a got a copy of the 85mm 1.8, which is actually not a lot more expensive than the Tamron.

Sorted out my priorities after a while. I shoot way more portraits than macro. So got extension tubes for my 85mm instead, which works for all other lenses to be used as macro on the go when I need to go in closer. Hope this doesn't sound too sacrilegious to the macro gurus here.

Quote Originally Posted by benedium

The Tamron is fine for portraits, but not suitable for candids bcoz the AF is really a bit slow. The Canon 85mm prime has better contrast/colour rendition (my subjective opinion) while macro lens gives a sharper, flatter (colour-wise) looking image. Also, if you're using 1.5/1.6 crop digital SLR, 85/90 is a bit too long for portraits; might want to consider the 50mm instead.