View Poll Results: Let the lab to color adjustment/correct?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (I don't have calibrated monitor)

40 39.60%
  • No (My monitor is calibrated, so I usually get satisfaction prints)

61 60.40%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

so how much do we pay the correction of photo, sorry normally just pass them the photo to print and never tell them anything.

Quote Originally Posted by yhw22
    so how much do we pay the correction of photo, sorry normally just pass them the photo to print and never tell them anything.
    Don't think they charge extra for correcting...it's all part of the price...if you don't tell them anything they'd definitely correct it for you

Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Just wondering how you guys do usually when sending your photos to Lab for 4R or S8R prints, do you ask them to color correction/adjustment or no adjustment.??
    Please advise how to ensure WYSIWYG.

Thanks
    I use Colorvision Spyder. Got it from Cathay Photo. I print only at Colorlab at Adelphi, nowhere else. Tried a few shops before like Konota etc but I just don't like the colour.

For edited images, I will specify 'no correction' and I get very close to WYSIWYG. For direct output from camera I will just tell them to follow their own correction. They usually do a good job also but most of the time they don't have to correct a lot judging from the correction index at the back of the print.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th January 2006 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks for all good advises and sharing their experience.

I'm quite happy with the prints from Kodak Express at Far East Plaza 2nd Floor. After a few try on other labs, guess most probably I will go back to Far East Plaza. (But the price a bit at a high side, anyway, its express service and good color output with 'no correction').

Cheers!
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

Thanks for all good advises and sharing their experience.

I'm quite happy with the prints from Kodak Express at Far East Plaza 2nd Floor. After a few try on other labs, guess most probably I will go back to Far East Plaza. (But the price a bit at a high side, anyway, its express service and good color output with 'no correction').

Cheers!
    Have you tried ColourLab at Adelphi? If so, how would you rate the Kodak Express compared to Colour Lab so that I might give it a try the next time? If not, maybe you can give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Have you tried ColourLab at Adelphi? If so, how would you rate the Kodak Express compared to Colour Lab so that I might give it a try the next time? If not, maybe you can give it a try.
    hmm... I've not try the colourlab at Adelphi, at one time I was attracted by its A3 large print at very attractive price. I stop by and ask some details but the promotion has "terms & conditions apply"

Will give it a try on my next print...

hmm... I've not try the colourlab at Adelphi, at one time I was attracted by its A3 large print at very attractive price. I stop by and ask some details but the promotion has "terms & conditions apply"

Will give it a try on my next print...
    I think the T&C is just a minimum print order.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    I think the T&C is just a minimum print order.
    yes. You're right.

I gave up correcting for colour... just correct exposure or tweak to give the shot greater punch... colour correction is very tricky for amateurs like me who don't have colour calibration hardware... I rely mainly on Adobe Gamma to do the job... thankfully I have not stepped into printing my own photos yet... think it might be a real nightmare so am still considering... so yeah, I send to the lab for them and let them do what they like... generally it seems ok... and I'm not too fussy anyway...

Hi,

I can't say how your Fuji labs are controlled there (using the Frontier 340 or 570) but,

Here we run a 570 at work and if I print anything of my own, I do it from the server with no correction.

If the same photo is presented to the server via one of the "pods" the auto correction used gives me results I don't like.

We have had numerous times when a customer has come in and loaded an image in one of the "pods" and when the print was made, they were not happy.

We have then reprinted the same file,but, entered at the server "with correction off" and they have been more than happy.

The last instance I saw this, the customer entered a photo "via a pod" and the auto correction over brightened the image,
    so much so that the noise grain was ridiculous.

We entered it via the server and it came oute quite a nice photo.

I don't know if this is of any benefit to you. Just an observation
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi,

I can't say how your Fuji labs are controlled there (using the Frontier 340 or 570) but,

Here we run a 570 at work and if I print anything of my own, I do it from the server with no correction.

If the same photo is presented to the server via one of the "pods" the auto correction used gives me results I don't like.

We have had numerous times when a customer has come in and loaded an image in one of the "pods" and when the print was made, they were not happy.

We have then reprinted the same file,but, entered at the server "with correction off" and they have been more than happy.

The last instance I saw this, the customer entered a photo "via a pod" and the auto correction over brightened the image,

Usually when I send my prints in, I will tell them no correction. So far the prints turn out good. I don't think a pod was used to upload the images.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi,

hi there what do you mean by the "pod" is it the ordering machines that one use to order the photos? or are you referring to something else? please enlighten!!

btw i do my prints at shalom colorlab at bras bersah. never try kim tian, grace or miao lian yet.

i think shalom produces pretty consistent colours. my monitor not calibrated also. think need to invest on a hardware calibrator soon.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

DIY is always better... Only you know what you want, the lab don't... You can't expect them to read your mind...

So are the Fuji profiles accurate? Anyone tried before and achieve good results?

Quote Originally Posted by Java_Guru View Post
    Please note that u must have your output calibrated and profile too (not just the LCD) for most accurate (not 100% since gamut never a complete match).

Some Fuji profiles for Singapore here -> http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...rofiles.htm#SG

Haven;t tried as I only use labs in the east and my regular Digipro just closed down.

I color correct all my pics. My monitor is caliberated. Then my colour lab still do their own correction after that, but only minor.

No way man. I do my own colour.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12