View Poll Results: Let the lab to color adjustment/correct?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (I don't have calibrated monitor)

    40 39.60%
  • No (My monitor is calibrated, so I usually get satisfaction prints)

    61 60.40%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

  1. #1

    Default Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Just wondering how you guys do usually when sending your photos to Lab for 4R or S8R prints, do you ask them to color correction/adjustment or no adjustment.??

    This has been giving me much problem, the prints usually turns out not really satisfaction to my liking and I know that this is something to do with monitor calibration / color profiling. So, usually I stick to only one particular Lab and adjust my LCD display according to the prints I got from that Lab.

    But problem occur again when I go to other Lab due to time constraint or places where I happen to be there. Although I specifically ask them no to do any adjustment, but the result turns out way below my expectation.

    Or should I just let the Lab do all necessary color adjustment and no need to care much about what profiling I'd done on my LCD display since I can't get what I see?

    Please advise how to ensure WYSIWYG.

    Thanks
    Last edited by ST_sg; 28th December 2005 at 12:25 PM.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefet DIY?

    I let Grace Lab do it. So far, I am very satisfied with the results.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefet DIY?

    Diff lab have diff standards...
    maybe e best way is give them same pic. 1 set without colour adjustment. 1 set with colour adjustment.
    next do yr own judgement, see which colour suit u...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefet DIY?

    I don't print. Haha.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefet DIY?

    Dif Lab, Dif standard. Normally I only adjust exposure, colour, I leave it to the lab. More Joon lah

  6. #6

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefet DIY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8
    Dif Lab, Dif standard. Normally I only adjust exposure, colour, I leave it to the lab. More Joon lah
    All my PP pics is ok with exposure and WB, only matter me is the color... either too dull or bias towards green, and red.

    However from my LCD is looks ok. Think next time should let them do the color correction instead of telling them don't touch.
    Last edited by ST_sg; 28th December 2005 at 02:44 PM.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  7. #7

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    yah, me too...looks ok on my screen but when printer (w/o correction) looks bad...sigh...maybe it's time to fork out the money for a monitor calibration software...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Most of the time i do my own corrections.. only to forget to tell the lab not to do anymore corrections ended up with a few over exosed pics...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Just wondering how you guys do usually when sending your photos to Lab for 4R or S8R prints, do you ask them to color correction/adjustment or no adjustment.??
    Not at all, as I prefer to have control over my output. I know what my different clients like, my lab will not.

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    ...the prints usually turns out not really satisfaction to my liking and I know that this is something to do with monitor calibration / color profiling. So, usually I stick to only one particular Lab and adjust my LCD display according to the prints I got from that Lab.
    That is the right way. By right, all Fuji Frontier labs (and all Konica R1/R2 labs) are supposed to give you the same output from the same file, if done without adjustments. But different owners/operators may cut corners differently, not recalibrating their machines when changed paper/magazine, do setting the profile when power-on for the day, etc. And some labs even leave the chemicals in there for days/weeks. Not to mention use some other paper they are not set up to.

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    But problem occur again when I go to other Lab due to time constraint or places where I happen to be there. Although I specifically ask them no to do any adjustment, but the result turns out way below my expectation.
    You already know you should not. Otherwise, go to the same kind of lab (Fuji-Fuji, Konica-Konica).

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Please advise how to ensure WYSIWYG.
    Stick to no more than 3 labs, and QC them regularly. I personally stick to 2 labs. And reserved an arrangement to reject what I do not like with no questions asked. Every alternate batch of prints will get random checked for color consistency (6" vs 8" paper). So far, service is way above what I've had with the idiot lab I used to use in early 2004. In fact both my labs even give me quarterly test prints for QC without my asking.

    At the end of the day, its the kind of arrangement you make. If you have the volume and your lab refuses to meet such a simple request, it is probably time to switch to a better lab.

    BTW, I'm using TripleD at Burlington Square.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Hi Azure,

    Thanks for your detail opinion.

    I've been matching my LCD monitor according to one single Lab which I go regularly, on and off the result still acceptable. It's Kodak Express.

    However, my last print was done at a Fuji lab, and also telling them no adjustment needed, sad to say the result was quite bad turns out, especially the skin tone color (more towards red/pink). So, now a bit confuse which lab should I trust or use their print as reference to further adjust my LCD monitor.

    From CSers feedback here... majority pick Fuji Lab... and that's the reason why I give Fuji Lab a try. But that's happen above. Sigh..
    Last edited by ST_sg; 28th December 2005 at 10:36 PM.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  11. #11

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    it depends really..... if its stuff like massive event shots and my wb is more or less there...i guess some shots like the shake hand and table to table stuff ok enuff to let the lab settle

    as for other colour corrections...most of the time...when u post process sth..its not only for colours right...therefore u tend to do most stuff bundled together when editing a photo for print

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    However, my last print was done at a Fuji lab, and also telling them no adjustment needed, sad to say the result was quite bad turns out, especially the skin tone color (more towards red/pink). So, now a bit confuse which lab should I trust or use their print as reference to further adjust my LCD monitor.

    From CSers feedback here... majority pick Fuji Lab... and that's the reason why I give Fuji Lab a try. But that's happen above. Sigh..
    Perhaps you'd prefer to take it offline via PM or email. Will PM you.

    But personally, I'm very very careful of which Fuji lab I use. Even the most popular one amongst CSer may be lousy to me.

    Why I don't use Kodaks - no decent lab near me.
    Why I don't use Konica - the only decent one near me cannot give me a good enough price.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Teban
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    I do both, it all depends on circumstances.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Please note that u must have your output calibrated and profile too (not just the LCD) for most accurate (not 100% since gamut never a complete match).

    Some Fuji profiles for Singapore here -> http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...rofiles.htm#SG

    Haven;t tried as I only use labs in the east and my regular Digipro just closed down.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Java_Guru
    Please note that u must have your output calibrated and profile too (not just the LCD) for most accurate (not 100% since gamut never a complete match).

    Some Fuji profiles for Singapore here -> http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...rofiles.htm#SG

    Haven;t tried as I only use labs in the east and my regular Digipro just closed down.
    ya, just trying the profiling for the whole last night till 1.30am.

    In PS CS2, yes, the soft-proofing did show some slight changes in the picture and appearently quite close to the hardcopy prints. (mainly the cyan & red has toned down)

    but the skin tone seems not really "life" like that what I'm hoping to get. Unless my source pictures really that bad?
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  16. #16
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    I hate it when the lab corrects for me. It takes me a lot of time but in the end, it saves me from reprinting.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    DIY! DIY! DIY!

  18. #18
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    ya, just trying the profiling for the whole last night till 1.30am.

    In PS CS2, yes, the soft-proofing did show some slight changes in the picture and appearently quite close to the hardcopy prints. (mainly the cyan & red has toned down)

    but the skin tone seems not really "life" like that what I'm hoping to get. Unless my source pictures really that bad?
    u can't get 100% calibrated base on the profile..
    yr side meaning, monitor also need to be adjusted.
    else is just off by 20-30%.
    Last edited by jnet6; 31st December 2005 at 02:46 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    Its depand, for event n actual day shoot, i normally let KT do it for me..great service n great result
    (pretty gals too )..but,for my own hobby shots..i will do some personnel touch n tell them not to adjust anytin for me... Cheers!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Do you let Photo Lab to do color correction or you prefer DIY?

    I think its best to DIY. Afterall clients want the softcopy too and they won't be happy if the softcopy looks weird on screen.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •