View Poll Results: Silica Gel; Thirsty Hippo; DryCabinet, Which ONE??

Voters
707. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silica gel

192 27.16%
  • Thirsty Hippo (but apparently there's talk that its TOO dry)

101 14.29%
  • Electric Drybox/Cabinet

444 62.80%
  • Dehumidifier Lamp in a cupboard (DIYers)

23 3.25%
  • Others! (wow there's a 5th option? post it here!)

27 3.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Normally if u leave the dessicant box (aka thirsty hippo) in an open area, the bottom empty area would fill up wif liquid (humidity from the atmosphere) very quickly, even before a few weeks.

But if u leave the dessicant box in an air tight dry box, it could probably take months before u actually see liquid in the bottom empty area (bcos it only absorb the humidity on the occasions u open the cabinet to take out and in your lenses and camera).

Which is why this cheapo method saves a lot of money (but gotta work a little bit harder)

Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    there was once i use Thirsty Hippo and left in my cupboard for months ....i then realised there was water inside the hippo and lucky i clear it before i spill out the water...
    thirsty hippo sachet will not turn into liquid. it will turn from powdery to soft gel. When already soft gel then replace.

Hi fellow snappers,
    My dry cabinet gives off a smell. Is it normal? Any recommendation for a value for money dry cabinet that can house 3 DSLRs and 3 lenses? Any dry cabinet with lock and key?
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    Personally I have to agree, the dry box with hydro is fantastic. mine is with 20% RH.

Anyone got lower readings than that?
    I think your equipment going to spoil soon...

i second that..
    keeping it ard 35-65 is also good enuff. when of coz, 45-55 is the best..
    guess sumtimes we are too scared.

maybe practice using the camera everyday...
    no need to buy drybox..
    shld be no prob!

Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    Hi fellow snappers,
    My dry cabinet gives off a smell. Is it normal? Any recommendation for a value for money dry cabinet that can house 3 DSLRs and 3 lenses? Any dry cabinet with lock and key?
    Cheers.
    Maybe you wanna check if anything (lizard or cockroach.. etc) crawled in and died...

Check out the Digicabi AD-060. $188 with delivery.

I got mine last month.

I use a hand pumped vacuum box. No air, no moisture.

Hi,

i'm a newbie here. I just bought a dry box with silica gel.
    But for the dry box there is no way to set the temperature.
    The dry box has a hygrometer showing ard 55, is it ok to store my camera and lens at this temp.?

Quote Originally Posted by Francos View Post
    Hi,

The dry box has a hygrometer showing ard 55, is it ok to store my camera and lens at this temp.?
    dont think u can do any setting for dry box, setting only applicable to dry cabinet. if reading is too high ad in more gel. play with the gel to get the correct setting

If anyone's even half serious about protecting their gear, then forget all these half-past-six alternatives and get a proper dry-cab.

A good dry cab will last years (many have a 3-5 year warranty on the dehumidifier unit), and the seemingly high initial outlay would appear insignificant then. Thirsty Hippo, silica gel, etc need to be replaced/recharged often enough to be not worth the hassle.

With a dry cab, just turn the dial once to set RH%, switch it on, and you'll probably not have to worry about it for the next seven years.

Besides, girls will instantly fall for you when they see that you've got a dry cabinet in the house (really - you have to try it to believe it). If you've ever had trouble finding dates, it's becase of that silica-gel filled tupperware that you've been using to store your camera.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by Francos View Post
    Hi,

It's not temperature. Temperature is the measure of how hot or cold something is.

It's relative humidity (RH%). RH%55 is okay.

I set mine at RH%30 (maximum dryness), lower than recommended, BUT I do so because I open my dry cab and use my equipment very often. Otherwise, setting it between 50 - 65% should be okay.

Hi guys,

thanks for the advise.

Ermm... I used thirsty hippo in electronic dry box. RH is at 25-28% is that too dry? What happens if it is too dry?

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Maybe you wanna check if anything (lizard or cockroach.. etc) crawled in and died...

Check out the Digicabi AD-060. $188 with delivery.

I got mine last month.
    Thanks. I bought a new dry cabinet today from Cathay Photo Marina. It works magnificently. No smell, no noise. Service at Cathay Photo Marina is excellent. Keep it up guys!
    Last edited by TheChef; 26th February 2009 at 12:36 AM.
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

Quote Originally Posted by photatographer View Post
    Ermm... I used thirsty hippo in electronic dry box. RH is at 25-28% is that too dry? What happens if it is too dry?
    25-28% is very, very low.

It's still an okay setting to use if you open your dry cab very regularly, like at least every other day. But for long-term storage, it might do some damage to your equipment.

Any rubber seals, gaskets and glue will dry and crack.

The plastic surface might start to haze as well.

(Some people say the lubricants will dry out - I'm not too convinced about this part, though)

if i just leave my camera in an air con room. what do you think? dry enough?

Quote Originally Posted by wtm78 View Post
    if i just leave my camera in an air con room. what do you think? dry enough?
    Provided you leave it on all the time, it should be good.

Just got my DSLR camera recently, i Just want to use a air tight box fill with silica gel. Where to get silica gel and how much? How long the silica gel can last before have to replace and how many to put? I affraid put too many will cause too dry. Tks

I use a dry box. I'm kind of lazy, so I'll go for the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by findjk View Post
    I use a dry box. I'm kind of lazy, so I'll go for the easiest.
    The easiest is a DRY Cabinet where you just plug it in and don't worry about it.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast