View Poll Results: Silica Gel; Thirsty Hippo; DryCabinet, Which ONE??

Voters
707. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silica gel

    192 27.16%
  • Thirsty Hippo (but apparently there's talk that its TOO dry)

    101 14.29%
  • Electric Drybox/Cabinet

    444 62.80%
  • Dehumidifier Lamp in a cupboard (DIYers)

    23 3.25%
  • Others! (wow there's a 5th option? post it here!)

    27 3.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 491213141516 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 318

Thread: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

  1. #261

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by whatjerom View Post


    Anyone knows any retail stores in Funan sell this drybox? My house have no space for dry cabinet!

    Thanks!
    i just saw this today at funan challenger

  2. #262

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Great! :O did you see the price too?

  3. #263

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    haha DYI and keep it tupperware with silica or hungry hippo enough la!

  4. #264

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    I'm a bit confused about digicabs. One series(eg db-036) states 'digital hygrometer', another series(eg dhc-040) states 'digital humidity controller' on the specs. Wats the diff? Does that mean that db-036 series only have preset RH values by manufacturer?

    One more qn. Anyone recently bought analog hygrometer from anywhere and how much?
    I can't find it in a few DIY stores wor... Thanks

  5. #265

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroben View Post
    I'm a bit confused about digicabs. One series(eg db-036) states 'digital hygrometer', another series(eg dhc-040) states 'digital humidity controller' on the specs. Wats the diff? Does that mean that db-036 series only have preset RH values by manufacturer?

    One more qn. Anyone recently bought analog hygrometer from anywhere and how much?
    I can't find it in a few DIY stores wor... Thanks
    I'm not very pro in this but I will try to answer you with my little knowledge about dry cabinet.

    Digital hygrometer is basically a meter showing you the %RH of dry cabinet only, meaning to this. You have to set your RH knob to your preferred %, I tuned my settings to between 12pm to 1pm. This seems to be a hassle but it wouldn't be anymore during the later part, it will always stay at a preferable % liao. (After 2 weeks of adjustment)

    Digital humidity controller is, you set it at 45% it will try to maintain around or equal 45%

    Correct me if i'm wrong, bro... =x
    Last edited by whatjerom; 4th September 2010 at 12:46 PM.

  6. #266

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Hmmm yeah I tot that it makes no sense for an expensive DC to show just the RH with no adjustment capability. =P

    but from your explanation it sound like the cheaper series are using analog dial control and the latter one using digital value setup(I guess more acurate eh?)

  7. #267

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroben View Post
    Hmmm yeah I tot that it makes no sense for an expensive DC to show just the RH with no adjustment capability. =P

    but from your explanation it sound like the cheaper series are using analog dial control and the latter one using digital value setup(I guess more acurate eh?)
    Yah, but i feel that if you are on tight budget, can get the digi-cabi one good enough. Disadvantages for this, you may need to adjust the RH% sometimes. But when the RH goes below 45%... just open the door for 5 seconds and close la, then it will go back to my preferred RH at 45%

  8. #268

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    where to buy silicon gel??

  9. #269

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedsun View Post
    where to buy silicon gel??
    If i'm not wrong, i saw them at funan challenger, i also saw at parkway parade's Fujifilm selling one bottle of silicon gel too.

  10. #270

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by whatjerom View Post
    If i'm not wrong, i saw them at funan challenger, i also saw at parkway parade's Fujifilm selling one bottle of silicon gel too.
    Thanks

  11. #271
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedsun View Post
    where to buy silicon gel??
    funan challenger sell it for S$8.90 a 500ml bottle, i've heard some people can get as cheap as S$5 for the same stuff but i dun know where they get it though

  12. #272
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by whatjerom View Post
    I'm not very pro in this but I will try to answer you with my little knowledge about dry cabinet.

    Digital hygrometer is basically a meter showing you the %RH of dry cabinet only, meaning to this. You have to set your RH knob to your preferred %, I tuned my settings to between 12pm to 1pm. This seems to be a hassle but it wouldn't be anymore during the later part, it will always stay at a preferable % liao. (After 2 weeks of adjustment)

    Digital humidity controller is, you set it at 45% it will try to maintain around or equal 45%

    Correct me if i'm wrong, bro... =x

    Two types of dry cabinet: Digital and Analogue. Digital means the settings are set via a digital controller which will attempt to ensure the dry cabinet stay within 5-10% within that value you set. Analogue means the settings are set via a mechanical knob. It will take a longer time to reach the desired value since there is no feedback mechanism. The recommended is to set it between 12-1pm direction. But that recommendation is not a hard and fast rule as it is due to accuracy of the knob during manufacture.

    45% humidity is a recommended value in Singapore. In Europe or US or Australia, we don't use dry cabinet because the ambient RH value is 30-40%. Hope that helps.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  13. #273
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by willdoang View Post
    funan challenger sell it for S$8.90 a 500ml bottle, i've heard some people can get as cheap as S$5 for the same stuff but i dun know where they get it though
    Yup $5 for Silicon Gel. Got it from Hardware store.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  14. #274

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by willdoang View Post
    funan challenger sell it for S$8.90 a 500ml bottle, i've heard some people can get as cheap as S$5 for the same stuff but i dun know where they get it though
    Mustafa selling at $5/bot.
    B2 electronics storey at one camera corner section.

  15. #275
    Member xxrenxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eunos
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    MS color selling $4 for gel...

  16. #276
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by xxrenxx View Post
    MS color selling $4 for gel...

    Big one or small one. They were selling $6.50 a bottle.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  17. #277

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    mmm i heard will cause cancer for the blue ones, is it really that dangerous to reheat in microwave?

  18. #278
    Member lon3fly3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Little Red Dot
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesco View Post
    mmm i heard will cause cancer for the blue ones, is it really that dangerous to reheat in microwave?
    if you scared explode or cancer, use hair dryer n slowly blow dry them. thats what i heard my friend is doing coz he simply got too much time and no microwave

  19. #279

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    If anyone is interested in the DB-036, i suggest you buy a bigger one. Yes, the cabinet is capable of holding up to around 5 cameras with one lens per camera BUT i would just invest in a bigger model if I were you. The 036 dosent allow much expansion of your camera system especially for people like me who like to keep everything in including my flashes in the dry cabinet. =D Just buy a big one!

  20. #280
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesco View Post
    mmm i heard will cause cancer for the blue ones, is it really that dangerous to reheat in microwave?
    aiya nowadays everything cause cancer, fastfood, instant noodle, styrofoam, cigarette, etc2 but it doesn't stop people from using it everyday like, compare to silica gel that u change every once or twice a week while keeping it in an airtight box, u count the probability of u getting cancer from it and the other stuff i mention above, and beside i haven't see any forumer create a thread "i'm diagnosed cancer cos of my dry box silica gel" lol

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 491213141516 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •