View Poll Results: Silica Gel; Thirsty Hippo; DryCabinet, Which ONE??

Voters
707. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silica gel

192 27.16%
  • Thirsty Hippo (but apparently there's talk that its TOO dry)

101 14.29%
  • Electric Drybox/Cabinet

444 62.80%
  • Dehumidifier Lamp in a cupboard (DIYers)

23 3.25%
  • Others! (wow there's a 5th option? post it here!)

27 3.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
    Must DIY dry box be all air-tight? Mine isnt air-tight and i have a thirsty-hippo inside. I take my cam out every evening. Is it alright for my cam? Thanks!
    Dry box has to be air tight so that the limited moisture content within the box can be absorb by the silica gel. If it is not air tight, it is the same as putting all your gears outside.

If you take your cam out every evening, there's no need to even put it in a dry box cos you never see any fungus grow on it.

I have a Camcorder which I use about once a week and it is sitting on the shelf the rest of the way. I have not seen any fungus for almost 2 years now. Think about it...
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Where can i buy silica gels?
    Must i put silica gel in my camera bag when i'm outdoors too?

you'll be dropping silica gel whenever you take your camera out! Unless you bought those pre-packed in containers with holes. There is no need to put silica gel when you bring it out because the silical gel will absorb all the moisture and saturate in a matter of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post

I have a Camcorder which I use about once a week and it is sitting on the shelf the rest of the way. I have not seen any fungus for almost 2 years now. Think about it...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    when fungus grow to that stage that is visible its too late.

have u gone thru under microscope? how are u so sure there is no fungus? Cannot be seen doesn't equates to it is not there. Thats a misconception humans have, must see then means got.

hi all,

it has been a long time since i last posted. i feel i should post something now LOL! dont be over worried about the humidity level serious serious serious. the dry box with minidihumidier works extremely well. of coz sometimes it goes down to 40. but usually by then i would have taken it out to use or smth. i used to be damn skeptical about all these. i also bout silicia gel to test out. anyway conclusion, both same effect but using silicia is too troublesome, coz got to change quite regularly, but mini dehumidifier oh gosh, i think i onli charge it like once every mth. okay maybe very 3 weeks. considering i open my box every other day its damn powerful alr. for normal silicia gel, if u open every other day, u'll need to change very regularly. dont worry too much about the humidity level, coz it'll be around what we want as what i've observed. and lastly lolx, if ur equipment gets toooooooo much, dry box might be too small, then u get a dry cabinet. dry is good in that some of us nv knows one yr down the road, u might sell all ur stuff as u cant keep up with ur hobby or lose interest. 35 dollars for a dry box with gel, y not lolx.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    hi all,

it has been a long time since i last posted. i feel i should post something now LOL! dont be over worried about the humidity level serious serious serious. the dry box with minidihumidier works extremely well. of coz sometimes it goes down to 40. but usually by then i would have taken it out to use or smth. i used to be damn skeptical about all these. i also bout silicia gel to test out. anyway conclusion, both same effect but using silicia is too troublesome, coz got to change quite regularly, but mini dehumidifier oh gosh, i think i onli charge it like once every mth. okay maybe very 3 weeks. considering i open my box every other day its damn powerful alr. for normal silicia gel, if u open every other day, u'll need to change very regularly. dont worry too much about the humidity level, coz it'll be around what we want as what i've observed. and lastly lolx, if ur equipment gets toooooooo much, dry box might be too small, then u get a dry cabinet. dry is good in that some of us nv knows one yr down the road, u might sell all ur stuff as u cant keep up with ur hobby or lose interest. 35 dollars for a dry box with gel, y not lolx.
    Well, new beginners tend to be overly cautions and paranoid but after a couple of months and years, the protective nature wears off and they will start chucking their DSLR wherever they like.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Well, new beginners tend to be overly cautions and paranoid but after a couple of months and years, the protective nature wears off and they will start chucking their DSLR wherever they like.
    Agree with you. All our Big Kor Kors here say must get dry cabinet. Must set to 45% RH. Must not let the equipment dry out etc.

I surf and surf still cannot find any scientific proof so I finally just put Ginseng inside to keep it dry.

can i use a dry box with thirsty hippo inside the box ?

Quote Originally Posted by crow84 View Post
    can i use a dry box with thirsty hippo inside the box ?
    hahah. definitely...it works the same function to draw moisture.. but thirsty hippo isnt cheap if u got to change it often.. another cheap method is silica gels, economical and can be reuse by microwaving it till it turn from pink (moist stage) back to blue (dry stage) and this can go on for as long as the gel remains intact, if it starts to get brittle and breaks into tiny frags, then its time to change. only $5-6 for 500g... and remember to use a air tight container for that

Dry box has to be air tight so that the limited moisture content within the box can be absorb by the silica gel. If it is not air tight, it is the same as putting all your gears outside.

If you take your cam out every evening, there's no need to even put it in a dry box cos you never see any fungus grow on it.

I have a Camcorder which I use about once a week and it is sitting on the shelf the rest of the way. I have not seen any fungus for almost 2 years now. Think about it...
    wah, serious, bro? as i always bring my dslr cam inside my bag and using it almost everyday, even when it's not being used, i will keep it inside my bag in aircon room. So conformed no need drybox/cabinet, at least if i use it regurarly?thanks

hey all, finally after weeks of putting my gear in a tupperware with a sachet dehumidifier, i got myself a dry cabinet earlier this evening. Just switch it on 1/2 hr ago and waiting.....
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

Congrats!

i use dry box coz its reali small

actually wana ask whats the different of taking ur cam out to shoot and leave it in a place or bag? mmm sounds like its outside all the time??

Quote Originally Posted by jamesco View Post
    actually wana ask whats the different of taking ur cam out to shoot and leave it in a place or bag? mmm sounds like its outside all the time??
    When you are not using it all the time, the air around your equipment becomes still. This stale air facilitates fungus spores to germinate and grow. However, if you use them often and you only put them in the bag, the fungus will still grow but will be at a slower rate than if you didn't use it at all. If you use them on a daily basis and then put it in a dry cabinet, then fungus will not have a slightest opportunity to grow.

When you are not using it all the time, the air around your equipment becomes still. This stale air facilitates fungus spores to germinate and grow. However, if you use them often and you only put them in the bag, the fungus will still grow but will be at a slower rate than if you didn't use it at all. If you use them on a daily basis and then put it in a dry cabinet, then fungus will not have a slightest opportunity to grow.
    oh ok! noted =D thanks

I like Hippo + Drybox~ cheap cheap!!

Anyone knows any retail stores in Funan sell this drybox? My house have no space for dry cabinet!

Thanks!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by whatjerom View Post

Anyone knows any retail stores in Funan sell this drybox? My house have no space for dry cabinet!

Thanks!
    M S Colour and Fairprice Extra has this...

Hmm, thanks for the information. Funan really dont have. =x

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast