View Poll Results: Silica Gel; Thirsty Hippo; DryCabinet, Which ONE??

Voters
707. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silica gel

192 27.16%
  • Thirsty Hippo (but apparently there's talk that its TOO dry)

101 14.29%
  • Electric Drybox/Cabinet

444 62.80%
  • Dehumidifier Lamp in a cupboard (DIYers)

23 3.25%
  • Others! (wow there's a 5th option? post it here!)

27 3.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Quote Originally Posted by chooz View Post
    what will happen to the camera if the environment in a dry box is too dry? Such as 0% - 10% humidity?

I have kept my camera in a dry box with thirsty hippo for the past 4 years. The hygrometer will point to 0% if I am starting a new thirsty hippo. It will eventually go up to 40% after a long time, then I will change to a new hippo. So far, my camera is still functioning well.
    The rubber or leather parts will dry out from what I know. Some say the lubricants and oils will dry too, but I not too sure.

I just keep mine inside a bag with some sillica gel. Go out a few times every two weeks to shoot, so dry cabinet not really needed for me.

Default Re: Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    oic, tks for that info. now my nx qus is... using dehumidifier or silica gel, both will continue taking in all the moisture eventually until it could be below the required level is it? does it happen that fast actually? not really rite? LOL! if it goes way below the requried level then it sounds scary also.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    Attention guys,

i've bought the mini dehumidifier, and i must say its work damn rapidly! within half an hr the lvl becomes 40+ and i dunno if it'll drop further so i'm a bit worried lolx. its not battery operated nor anything but the crystals really can absorb moisture lol.

anyway for those who are using silica gel in dry boxes, usually how low does ur humidity level goes to? will it keep on taking in moisture until extremely low lvl? tis's my concern.
    Yes, opening up the box when it drops below will help. I don't know how low it'll go coz I try not to let it drop too low. Thirsty hippos are great when I am moving things in and out of the box; once it drops below, opening the box and taking it out will raise the humidity level a bit, but still acceptable. I used to use entire can of silica gels in the box; now I keep that sealed and use only a bit so that (i) don't need to open box and close back that often and (ii) when I do, not the entire batch of silica gel will be used to absorb and I can add more when needed from the unused batch.

I also rotate usage of my lenses so that none of them will stay unused for long time.

Excellent, you are the 3rd person who experienced the real stuff about low RH on your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by chooz View Post
    what will happen to the camera if the environment in a dry box is too dry? Such as 0% - 10% humidity?

I have kept my camera in a dry box with thirsty hippo for the past 4 years. The hygrometer will point to 0% if I am starting a new thirsty hippo. It will eventually go up to 40% after a long time, then I will change to a new hippo. So far, my camera is still functioning well.

The lubricant drying thing, it is a myth, have been bust. Search around and you will know.

Plastic, glass, metal case and circuit board cracking as believed by many, the truth will be out in time.

Quote Originally Posted by MintChoco View Post
    ..... Some say the lubricants and oils will dry too, but I not too sure.

I just keep mine inside a bag with some sillica gel. Go out a few times every two weeks to shoot, so dry cabinet not really needed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    The lubricant drying thing, it is a myth, have been bust. Search around and you will know.

Plastic, glass, metal case and circuit board cracking as believed by many, the truth will be out in time.
    Thanks for the info. Any links? I tried to Google but I mostly found cigar

Someone from Singapore also asked that but seems like no one really has the "answer".

hi,

my own conclusion is lol! leave a slight gap when closing dry box if the dehumidifier is too strong. so far so good for me. if using silica, trial and error.

btw, i'm a guitarist too, and usually many of us use zorb it. coz there a minimum that it can go. but whether or not its until acceptable lvl for cams or not i'm not too sure, but no harm trying and i heard its available at maestro guitar shops. quite cheap also. worth a try and it can last damn long if i'm not wrong!

enjoy guy!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Thanks for the info. Any links? I tried to Google but I mostly found cigar

Someone from Singapore also asked that but seems like no one really has the "answer".

Excellent, you are the 3rd person who experienced the real stuff about low RH on your equipment.
    Hi Guys...to put the myth to rest once and for all.

If you own a camera made after 2000AD, chances are the grease used are synthetic ceramic grease which will not dry out and has good thermal properties so that it does not seize up in winter or becomes very viscous in summer. Besides, this type of lubrication will never dryout below 100deg C nor is it affected by low humidity.

The rubber seals and body coating for more ex cameras are made from neoprene rubber which is inert and will not harden, crack or flake etc.

Having very low humidity levels will not kill the camera or your lens. Nasa has cameras in space with zero humidity and its cameras are still working. The astronauts went to the moon with Hasselblad and Nikon cameras more than 50 years ago.

The
    problem is the moisture embedding into your camera when you use it and hence when it dries out, the remaining moisture will creep out and smear the lens etc. There's no harm to keep it within 45% RH or lower. In fact, there's no harm if you don't keep in a dry cabinet either provided you use it often enough. I leave my D700 on the desk throughout the week and take it out on Saturdays for a quick spin round my house. After a few months, the only problem I have is dust which is removed with a small vacuum cleaner.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Hi Guys...to put the myth to rest once and for all.

If you own a camera made after 2000AD, chances are the grease used are synthetic ceramic grease which will not dry out and has good thermal properties so that it does not seize up in winter or becomes very viscous in summer. Besides, this type of lubrication will never dryout below 100deg C nor is it affected by low humidity.

The rubber seals and body coating for more ex cameras are made from neoprene rubber which is inert and will not harden, crack or flake etc.

Having very low humidity levels will not kill the camera or your lens. Nasa has cameras in space with zero humidity and its cameras are still working. The astronauts went to the moon with Hasselblad and Nikon cameras more than 50 years ago.

The problem is the moisture embedding into your camera when you use it and hence when it dries out, the remaining moisture will creep out and smear the lens etc. There's no harm to keep it within 45% RH or lower. In fact, there's no harm if you don't keep in a dry cabinet either provided you use it often enough. I leave my D700 on the desk throughout the week and take it out on Saturdays for a quick spin round my house. After a few months, the only problem I have is dust which is removed with a small vacuum cleaner.

Well explained though the Nikon D2Xs and D3S DSLRs utilised by NASA astronauts in the ISS are actually lubricated with Braycote Vacuum Grease.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I keep my camera bodies and lenses in one of this.

CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    Personally I have to agree, the dry box with hydro is fantastic. mine is with 20% RH.

Anyone got lower readings than that?
    wth o.o 20rh is like. u can store chinese medical herbs.

40-46 is the way to go. anything lesser, the lubricants in ur lenses may be affected and end up damn stiff. tat was an advice given to me by one of the sempais

edit: cleared up myth buy upstair tat guy. BUSTED
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 19th March 2010 at 10:48 AM.

where to buy good and cheap dry box and silica gel? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by pongpong View Post
    challenger...dry box $30plus only,,,,,silica gel at those fujifilm develop photo shop $4 only

NTUC FairPrice Xtra sells them for around S$18 to S$20 if I'm not mistaken.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

I just get a plastic toyogo box and some dehumidifier from daiso. RH at 27%.

Deregistered

That's the one.Can get from MS colour(both shops) for $23

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ah zhao View Post
    Your dehumidifier too strong already.Must be 40%-45%

Must DIY dry box be all air-tight? Mine isnt air-tight and i have a thirsty-hippo inside. I take my cam out every evening. Is it alright for my cam? Thanks!

I am using an air tight tupperware box with silica gel measured by a musical hygrometer. This way, I will keep the humidity out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by ah zhao View Post

Depending on how big is your plastic box and how accurate is your hydrometer, 27% is seldom achievable.

Even if you manage to get down to 27%RH, the dryness will not affect your camera much. In my house, it is 31% RH in summer and 47% RH in winter and my cameras are still OK. Modern day cameras are able to withstand such dryness due to the fact that a lot of plastics and synthetic grease is being used as compared to long ago when manufacturers used mineral oil. Even mineral oil has a low rate of evaporation.

In a word, yes, 27%RH is still OK.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast