Thread: Anyone here uses PDA???

Default Anyone here uses PDA???

Anyone who shoots with digital camera uses pda instead of notebook to view their shots? There are software that can view RAW format in pda.

Default Re: Anyone here uses PDA???

do you mean shooting with pda's cam? if i'm right, pda of it's own software to view but don't think is RAW..... 1.3mp shoot also cannot get any better image, all pixelated....
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

Quote Originally Posted by zerofour
    do you mean shooting with pda's cam? if i'm right, pda of it's own software to view but don't think is RAW..... 1.3mp shoot also cannot get any better image, all pixelated....
    I think he meant shooting with a normal camera and viewing the images on pda.

I have not seen any pda with high enough screen resolution to analyze photos. I might be wrong on that though.

Yo Bob!
    Merry Christmas to you!

I use the T3 all the time to view pictures. The resolution is good enough for me. Just convert the pics to jpeg instead of raw. i dont think it feasible to use Raw as you will need the propriety software to convert it to a viewable format and the file sizes are so big!

The T3 screen can be extended to be about the same size of a 4R photo. good enough for most situations, and defiantely more impressive than using the LCD on cam. And much more portable than a laptop.

Hope this helps

Of course not using your PDA's camera. I am saying after you shoot with your DSLR, instead of inserting your CF Card into a PC/Mac to view the photos you took, you can insert it in your PDA which is smaller and easier to carry. If you are shooting RAW, there is a third party software to support it.

Been A PDA user for years and am still packing my 4 yrs old Sony CLIE NZ90 which has one of the best colour and large screen viewer for a PDA. Although I use the proprietary magixstick memory module to store my pictures and other data (plus use it with my Sony S70 digital camera) it has a CF slot which Sony claims can't be use with any CF devices apart from their wireless "CF type I&II slot" transmitter. But some smart geek managed to coax the PDA to accept a CF memory module by using a hack software install into the PDA. With patch,I could now view my large capacity 1gig CF card of mp3,avi,jpeg,gif..etc. But not RAW. I believe there are PDA picture viewer s/w that allow RAW (though I doubt it..can't find one that opens Nikon RAW) but I can't see how using it is productive even if you found one. The D70 Large Fine Jpeg pictures are already a challenge for the PDA left along a RAW digital photo file.

Personally, it is too slow to be useful or practical when you are in the midst of shooting. Use it to check your shots? As in taking the memory card out of your camera, slot it into your PDA, enlarge it to see if you shot the picture sharp enough or requires a reshoot? If you shot like 50 scenes you can't be taking it out 50 times to check and reshoot. If you want to check for colour correction, your PDA is not a calibrated monitor to do so. Sure you can enlarge it to 100% picture size to see if it is sharp but have you guys tried it even with a large fine jpeg file? A 8 megapixel file when opened is about 18mb. You also need a very powerful graphic engine and lots of built-in ram memory in order to process the file fast enough to view. I have used a few graphic s/w in my PDA to view picture files including the viewer Sony provided. But all still takes like forever to open them in multi thumb size size mode. It need to take a look at the picture data then convert it to thumbsize for each one. My PDA/S/W would load up all of them when I open the viewer and it takes a long time to load the entire pictures collection of say, a 1 gig card. I could click one of them while it was still loading, it would still take a while for it to draw the large jpeg file on my screen and when I go back to the picture list , it try to reload the entire collection again...thumbnail picture by thumbnail picture.

As you run out of ram, it will try to use your CF or magixstick to buffer all the thumbsizes. Also the built-in ram type is not exactly the fastest type in the market too. For normal viewing when I am not shooting, I guess I could wait abit but it is so slow that I rather be viewing them on my PC or Notebook or if I am just itchy to view (or showoff) on the MRT or some coffee bar, a more dedicated portable viewer like maybe the new Epson Player or the Creative Zen ( or was that Yen?) that have large viewing screens would be better. I still do use my CLIE to view my pictures but only what I have edited and decided to keep in my PDA memory or memory module as keepsakes. That's my personal view lah as a PDA user

I am not sure what Octane69 meant by "T3 screen can be extended to be about the same size of a 4R photo" but I am sure there is no T3 screen I know that is the size of a 4R print. That has to be a pretty large LCD screen if so. But if he meant that he can zoom in to see what fine detail it has at 100% zoom view size ..then yes the T3 can do that but then again any PDA can do that too.

Small and easy to carry? Yes I guess it is but easy to use? I don't think so. Too many troublesome stuff to content myself with to be useful when using it on the go...especially if I am shooting. And since the PDA does not have a HDD, it is of no use to me for quick standby storage as well. So it is only good enough for viewing purposes abeit it is slow to access and slow to render lots of large digital photo shoots.

So if you are buying a PDA and your primary use is as a viewer for your photographic shoot, I would strongly urge you to reconsider. Also if you have not already notice PDA is on the wane and fading fast...there are lesser and lesser 3rd party development for it as the mobile phone with its convergence of incorporating PDA-like functionality into it phone are muscling out the PDA industry. Frankly I wish it did not as I hate convergence of technology. I prefer a PDA is just a PDA and a phone..just a damn phone. heheh but that's another story.

I would prefer to use my Creative Zen vision to view photos rather than a PDA

I think they're most useful for sharing photos. Instead of showing peepur the small screen on your camera, you pop the card out of your camera and into your pda for a better view.

Dear Sam,

What you have written is totally irrevelant to what I say. I only try to share something which I think is worthwhile for digital photographer to consider. By the way, I am a film user and not in anyway promoting anything.

"Viewing your images, showing them to others, and deleting the bad ones before you even get back to your home or studio is critical to an efficient digital workflow. However, most laptops are large, bulky, and don't work well outdoors. The built-in LCD on most digital cameras or image storage devices can be too small to be truly effective, not to mention hard to use. A good Pocket PC offers an excellent compromise: an indoor/outdoor viewable screen multiple inches on each side, the ability to read images directly off of a digital camera storage card, and a touchscreen interface allowing direct interaction." by www.glasslantern.com

As a pda user, I do not limit myself to compare just one particular brand. There are many pda brands with quality and performance better than the others, just like the digital camera. Just because one pda cannot do doesn't mean others can't. What do you think of the Dell x51v compare to Sony Clie NZ90? If you pda can be made full use of, why limit yourself to its functions?

I have tried it on Dell x51v using Canon 20D with 100plus photos in RAW files and it opens like a breeze.

I am using a Dell Axim x50(524MHz) and I find it's beyond practical as the speed in opening and viewing of the jpg image is too slow even on a theorically fast CF card(Lexar 1GB) Copying the images into a harddisk and view from there is still the best way

Quote Originally Posted by Bobman

As a pda user, I do not limit myself to compare just one particular brand. There are many pda brands with quality and performance better than the others, just like the digital camera. Just because one pda cannot do doesn't mean others can't. What do you think of the Dell x51v compare to Sony Clie NZ90? If you pda can be made full use of, why limit yourself to its functions?

I have tried it on Dell x51v using Canon 20D with 100plus photos in RAW files and it opens like a breeze.
    Nah..me just sharing my only view on my own use of PDA. I took my Sony CLIE as this is basically what I have used and still do although I have tried quite a few in the last year or so looking for a worthy successor to it. And before this I have gone through 10 other PDAs. Actually I do have a friend who owes a Dell Axim x51V as you mentioned. I gave him a call just now but he seem not too happy with it graphic but then again he is another person with his own opinion. Oh the Axim is not bad considering it has fast Video Ram for its 2D processing but it needs that as it has to drive a VGA screen. I will give your recommendation ad link a try since it does have a free basic version and see how well it opens RAW. How do you "define opening it was a breeze" if I may ask? ANy timing details we can make a comaprison to?

But the way you, I use my PDA for a heck of alot of stuff as it is my workhorse companion everyday...and as it has a pretty decent 2.1 megapixel to it..I do shot quite a bit of picture and video shooting, record mettings, drawing draft designs...etc..as and when my work requires it. Battery life can be a pain though. As it is only my personal opinion on my own PDA I am just of the opinion that the RAW or high res jpeg viewing as a successor to the camera's screen is not that best although I am not denying it is not impossible. As another one here mentioned the Creative Zen. I am considering that one to be my DSLR's companion actually. Hope to hear more favorable things about this one or the Epson one. I find the ipod version too small and I already have an ipod photo.

Anyway, it is good you found it does fit your needs. Personally I can't see myself opening up what I shot on my way home and then erasing what is shot well and what is not before I download them to my PC to edit. How that would help my workflow is hard to comprehen for me as I might regret erasing a file I shoul dhave just waited till I am home to do a final selection on my PC screen. So in that instance I guess it would work for you.
    Last edited by sammy888; 27th December 2005 at 02:17 PM.

Sam,

Sorry to disappoint you that I am been able to answer to all your questions. However, I believe there are some pda forums which you might have been to or maybe a member whereby they would discuss about the features of the pdas. If you do not, ask google.

As to how am I going to compare the term" open like a breeze"...honestly, no words can describe that term but I am sure that it definately opens faster then your clie.

Just a thought. How many digital camera users would say that they did not look at the photo they just shot and delete away the undesirable ones during they break or when they gather after the shoot, sit around have drinks at the coffeeshop and stay showing around what they have shot to their peers?