Thread: Which Nikon DSLR should I get for portrait shoots?

Default Which Nikon DSLR should I get for portrait shoots?

Hi all!

I am currently looking for an upgrade of DSLR. I've been using my D5000 for years now and it's getting really bad (the screen is horrible and the photos always turn out different when I transfer them to my laptop, the photos always turn out overly saturated. If you have any suggestions to improve the condition of my D5000 do let me know too!). The time has come for me to look for a new Nikon camera. Not looking to venture into another brand because although tempted, I would prefer not to render my Nikkor lenses useless. I'm considered a newbie since I've not touched my D5000 for almost 2 years.

I use my camera for portrait shoots! And since I'm going overseas for an extended period of time next year, I would like to find a camera that is light and can also be useful for landscape shots too. The priority would still be for portrait shoots though!

I am also a struggling student so I would appreciate if cameras suggested be less than SGD1000.

Hopefully this is not me having extremely unrealistic expectations haha. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! I take every single suggestion seriously and your comment might change my photography route for the next 10 years.

Thank you!
    Last edited by serenasimps; 5th August 2017 at 01:09 PM.

Default Re: Which Nikon DSLR should I get for portrait shoots?

If you don't figure out the reason for your pictures turning out overly saturated then chances are that the same will happen with the next camera as well.
    Pointers: in camera settings, import settings on computer, wrong or missing screen calibration. I have a 10 years old camera and nothing of this kind happens, the pictures turn exactly as taken and intended.
    EOS

Agree with mod Octarine. You might want to check out your camera's Picture Controls, and you can also customize the individual Picture Controls to increase / decrease the saturation etc
    http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/micr...icturecontrol/

Nikon D5000 use reminds me of this thread... most of the photos from what I know are roughly out-of-camera JPEGs (not from RAWs) or at most tweaked a little. So I don't think the colours or image quality should be off that much
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1082275

You can take portraits and landscapes with any camera, as long as you get your basics right. However since you already have the Nikon system, and there has been many improvements over the years like megapixel count, screen size and quality etc, you migh want to upgrade. The latest D5600 should be good with a useful fully-articulating screen. Or if you want an upgrade to the number of external controls can consider D7200 or D7500, though image quality should be roughly similar to D56000,

Nikons ar, shooting portraits can become like simpsons. Yellow yellow one.
    What's more hilarious is, this so called official pro photographer (full time one) using D1 range and 200mm lens, still background appear as clear as the models and photos so unsharp like simpsons dolls the models (and to think this is quite a big event too).
    I use tiny flash shoot, wah sharp, clear, background blurred using Canon. When I use my Olympus, wah... also same. Why? Individual skills lah.
    Go get a grey card to balance the color.
    Last edited by dennisc; 16th August 2017 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by serenasimps View Post
    Hi all!

I am also a struggling student so I would appreciate if cameras suggested be less than SGD1000.

Hopefully this is not me having extremely unrealistic expectations haha. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! I take every single suggestion seriously and your comment might change my photography route for the next 10 years.

Thank you!
    Ask a knowledgable friend/person to look at your D5000 and settings.If the LCD screen has already aged or gone bad then it's time to upgrade. Since you are a student then my only recommendation is
    D3400, it's entry level and don't have the easy access buttons of mid/high end cameras but it has double the pixels of D5000 (24MP) which is all you will ever need.All the features are available from the menu so you are not handicapped in any way except easy access. If photographer know what he/she is doing it can get formidable results.

Hello serenasimps, welcome to Clubsnap.

Actually any Nikon camera can take very nice portrait pictures. Since you didn't mention about your level of photography knowledge ( other than being a newbie) & the lens collection that you have, for typical portrait shots, a fast aperture, 35, 50mm or 85mm is normally used. If you only shoot JPEG, you'll need to learn to use & edit the picture control settings in the camera to produce the shots that you desire. Here is a tip for people shots, use standard or portrait picture control, then edit the settings to suit your taste.

As for camera recommendations, a used & good condition D90, D7000 & D7100 will suit your pocket & usage very well. Beautiful colors too.

This is just the beginning. Start from here, explore & learn. I wish you all the best in exploring the Nikon photographic system.
    Last edited by Light Machinery; 22nd August 2017 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Machinery View Post

As for camera recommendations, a used & good condition D90, D7000 & D7100 will suit your pocket & usage very well. Beautiful colors too.
    If TS is considering used camera I would rather pick the 7000 series as it has more pixels than D90
    12mp vs 16mp.They are pro consumer cameras that have better exposure metering and auto focus systems
    plus many other features.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Machinery View Post
    Hello serenasimps, welcome to Clubsnap.

Actually any Nikon camera can take very nice portrait pictures. Since you didn't mention about your level of photography knowledge ( other than being a newbie) & the lens collection that you have, for typical portrait shots, a fast aperture, 35, 50mm or 85mm is normally used. If you only shoot JPEG, you'll need to learn to use & edit the picture control settings in the camera to produce the shots that you desire. Here is a tip for people shots, use standard or portrait picture control, then edit the settings to suit your taste.

This is just the beginning. Start from here, explore & learn. I wish you all the best in exploring the Nikon photographic system.
    I started with D5000 and I think it is a good camera and quite similar to D90. Maybe D7000 & D7100 is slightly better with ISO noise but as a whole, the color thing TS mentioned is unlikely to be resolve changing to any of these camera body.

He/she started then disappeared. so don't really know the true issue. But personally, I do feel FX camera color turn out richer using the same lens.