Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which camera I should get..

Default Re: Which camera I should get..

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    Don't think it can't move, just that the movement is not smooth. The other 'cheaper' gimbal some talk about is the Jobu Junior 3 though it probably will set you back by more than $400... Not too sure where the birders get their stuff, any birders here can help? Heh...

The lower end 150-600s are theoretically hand-holdable, so you might want to try that first. Or get some support from a monopod with a tilt-head / ballhead first then save up for a good gimbal.
    Hmm.. Isn't the Sigma 150-600mm already considered rather low end? Or maybe you're talking about the Sigma 150-500?
    I guess I could try a ballhead/monopod combo.. Would mean slightly more money for lenses and stuff..

EDIT: If I were to get the 600mm, I may have to save till end of this year though.. and I would really love to bring a pair of lenses to Australia in November.. unless I bring the kit lens that came along with the camera I just got last week.. any advices?
    Last edited by tyubhunhg; 19th August 2017 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Birding community is small here so it does not make sense for retailers to stock them because price is not cheap. Lazada has 2 listings for poor man's gimbal whose sellers are from HK but I think you can get better price at Aliexpress but note that lowest price can be a scam so look at sellers record of how many sold.Also there are variations of lens plate like swiss-acra quick release or standard tripod ones.

FYI this poor man's gimbal is a copy of Wimberly WH200 which is an "industry standard".It also has no ball bearings but just sleeve types and if it's not good enough what is? Read the reviews of wimberly.There are 2 types of gimbals ,full gimbal "U" shaped or "J" type of which majority are "J" types.Body is aluminium which china produces 50% of world output!
    Haha I guess I wouldn't buy that gimbal then; maybe I'll start with a ballhead first too.. XD

Quote Originally Posted by tyubhunhg View Post
    Haha I guess I wouldn't buy that gimbal then; maybe I'll start with a ballhead first too.. XD
    If a gimbal is too expensive for you, then rather get a pan head. The risks of a ball head have been given. A pan head is easy to manage, because you can lose the axis selectively.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    If a gimbal is too expensive for you, then rather get a pan head. The risks of a ball head have been given. A pan head is easy to manage, because you can lose the axis selectively.
    oh ok then.. any brand or model of pan head you could recommend?

I asked a wildlife photographer, and rather than using a gimbal, he uses a fluid head.. not sure if there are benefits for that when considering wildlife photography though?
    Last edited by tyubhunhg; 19th August 2017 at 08:44 PM.

Why not? It's 1/6 the price of the wimbwerly @ SG$100 give or take at Aliexpress.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 20th August 2017 at 01:38 PM.

oh ok then.. any brand or model of pan head you could recommend?

I asked a wildlife photographer, and rather than using a gimbal, he uses a fluid head.. not sure if there are benefits for that when considering wildlife photography though?
    I seriously think you should go back to the basics:
    A. Invest in a good lens
    B. Invest in a good body
    C. Invest in yourself and your two hands - practice, practice and practice (trips to the bird park/zoo will eat up some dollars, one way or another)

When you have shot enough birds or wildlife at the bird park, the zoo, the gardens and elsewhere, think about how many of these you will print, A4 or A3 size. When you have more than a few good enough to print, you will know that you have arrived at your own technique.

Only think about tripods after you have had plenty of hand practice, and save up for what would suit you, not what other photogs use.

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Why not? It's 1/6 the price of the wimbwerly @ SG$100 give or take at Aliexpress.
    I mean it is cheap, but is Aliexpress like reliable? Not sure if I should start with a pan head?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesubm6 View Post
    I seriously think you should go back to the basics:
    A. Invest in a good lens
    B. Invest in a good body
    C. Invest in yourself and your two hands - practice, practice and practice (trips to the bird park/zoo will eat up some dollars, one way or another)

When you have shot enough birds or wildlife at the bird park, the zoo, the gardens and elsewhere, think about how many of these you will print, A4 or A3 size. When you have more than a few good enough to print, you will know that you have arrived at your own technique.

Only think about tripods after you have had plenty of hand practice, and save up for what would suit you, not what other photogs use.
    But if a tripod is not used, then wouldn't it be unstable or rather heavy to carry around, or to hold up for a photo? I haven't tried holding ~2.4kg of weight, but the current 1kg+ kinda strains my wrist over long use already..
    Or maybe I'll try a monopod first? I'm kinda thinking of getting a 3LT Travis Punk, which legs are detachable to be a monopod.. Or a rather cheap Sirui R-2004 as suggested by the wildlife photog..

Also, for the lens, do you think the Sigma 150-500 or the 150-600 is better? The 500mm is older but cheaper too.. and I really hope to bring a pair of telezoom lens to my Perth trip this year end.. If I'm getting the 600mm, I may consider renting a lens first, then get one next year.

Also, why dont you think that just going to a park or natural reserve is enough? I mean, I do live right opposite a park connector, so its rather convenient to walk there..

Thanks!

I mean it is cheap, but is Aliexpress like reliable? Not sure if I should start with a pan head?
    Aliexpress is the chinese ebay.If you don't want a gimbal of course you can use a sturdy monopod which I think is practical as you will be moving from one location to the next.No need to pay money to shoot birds as per your suggestion, park interconnect,nature reserves even hdb areas got birds like pidgeons,minahs,sparrows,swallows
    and ocasionally exotics like heron,kingfisher in longkang fishing.I have seen parrots,cockatoos,woodpecker,sunbird,turtle dove and hornbill.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 21st August 2017 at 02:02 AM.

But if a tripod is not used, then wouldn't it be unstable or rather heavy to carry around, or to hold up for a photo? I haven't tried holding ~2.4kg of weight, but the current 1kg+ kinda strains my wrist over long use already..
    Or maybe I'll try a monopod first? I'm kinda thinking of getting a 3LT Travis Punk, which legs are detachable to be a monopod.. Or a rather cheap Sirui R-2004 as suggested by the wildlife photog..

Also, for the lens, do you think the Sigma 150-500 or the 150-600 is better? The 500mm is older but cheaper too.. and I really hope to bring a pair of telezoom lens to my Perth trip this year end.. If I'm getting the 600mm, I may consider renting a lens first, then get one next year.

Also, why dont you think that just going to a park or natural reserve is enough? I mean, I do live right opposite a park connector, so its rather convenient to walk there..

Thanks!
    The bird park is a very good place to get bird practice. For the entrance fee, there is no need to hunt for the birds. I can get a very good keeper rate, and don't require a tripod. Just a bag for batteries, a bottle for water, some Oreo 3-packs to snack on before meals, and a teeny plastic bag to keep my trash.

I can shoot all day, only that hot and humid weather makes me tired quickly, so stop overs at the restrooms to wash up is a must for me. What I use is just a humble EM-5 and the not-so-cheaply priced 40-150 Pro lens (I chose to invest in this lens). While I have a 1.4TC for the lens, I find that I rarely need it at the bird park. With a lot of practice, I dont feel the weight of my camera and lens anymore, it just feels natural to use.

This is just me. What I am trying to say here is, why trip up on tripods and ball heads and gimballs and whatever lenses? These are all just GAS. Go out and shoot, whereever that may be, with whatever you have. Renting is always a good choice for what you dont have, or dont need to buy as investment. Enjoy photography your own way.

Actually for most on budget, Sony and Pentax is a better choice from my POV.

While it sounds contradicting, Canon and Nikon has lens with Stabilizer and without Stabilizer that cost quite a big difference in the bill. I am sure you want to use the camera for other purpose beside wildlife?

While you don't use the function on a tripod, you will find it useful that any lens including manual mirror and macro lens has the function to use in bright day. Added that Sony A mount is able to mount old Minolta lens is a steal. (Hint: Mirror...)

Lastly, I am not sure to what extend will you be taking wildlife, but I will say that any saving to invest on a solid tripod and remote trigger is actually something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoRockStoneUser View Post
    Actually for most on budget, Sony and Pentax is a better choice from my POV.

While it sounds contradicting, Canon and Nikon has lens with Stabilizer and without Stabilizer that cost quite a big difference in the bill. I am sure you want to use the camera for other purpose beside wildlife?

While you don't use the function on a tripod, you will find it useful that any lens including manual mirror and macro lens has the function to use in bright day. Added that Sony A mount is able to mount old Minolta lens is a steal. (Hint: Mirror...)

Lastly, I am not sure to what extend will you be taking wildlife, but I will say that any saving to invest on a solid tripod and remote trigger is actually something to think about.
    From post #41

Hmm.. Isn't the Sigma 150-600mm already considered rather low end? Or maybe you're talking about the Sigma 150-500?
    I guess I could try a ballhead/monopod combo.. Would mean slightly more money for lenses and stuff..

EDIT: If I were to get the 600mm, I may have to save till end of this year though.. and I would really love to bring a pair of lenses to Australia in November.. unless I bring the kit lens that came along with the camera I just got last week.. any advices?
    Last edited by one eye jack; Today at 12:47 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123