Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you do if someone cheated you into buying a problem lens?

Default Re: What do you do if someone cheated you into buying a problem lens?

just focus on something far then see the aperture can sync anot.
    It maybe characteristic of lens.

Without trying,1 could only speculate.

What's PLBV?

Quote Originally Posted by crazypaladin
    What's PLBV?
    PLBV - Problem lies behind viewfinder (usually follows after RTFM...)

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    why don't you just test the lens and let us know ? at least you can rule out one thing.
    ya agree, just test the lens further as suggested by reflecx and let us know.

For all we know, this could be a non-issue altogether.

Merry Christmas!

hmm......... I wonder ...
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Quote Originally Posted by initialE24
    The lens has been tested by another photographer and he confirmed that this lens has a problem.

This Nikon Macro lens is not able to go F2.8 even when I put it to A and M mode.
    My nikkor 105 micro lens is able to go f2.8 only at infinity... but for micro, i doubt u will use f2.8 anyway
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    My nikkor 105 micro lens is able to go f2.8 only at infinity... but for micro, i doubt u will use f2.8 anyway
    Unless you're shooting a piece of Roti Prata or Pizza. Or else, use small aperture la.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Test it this way - put it on manual focus and manually focus the lens to infinity, with your camera in aperture priority mode, use the sub-command dial to open up the aperture. It should go to all the way to f/2.8. As you manually focus closer, the aperture reported by the camera will stop down gradually until f/5.6 at the closest focusing distance (1:1 reproduction ratio)

Most modern Nikon bodies will report the correct effective aperture of the lens (by taking into account the distance information provided by the lens). Effective aperture can be treated the same as the theoretical, but once you start getting to higher magnification ratios, you need to take it into account if you want correct exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus

so its Nikkor's inherrent design? strange, my macro lens on minolta does not have tis...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    so its Nikkor's inherrent design? strange, my macro lens on minolta does not have tis...
    It's not the lens, but the Nikon body that calculates the effective aperture if the lens has a distance chip (Nikon D and G type lenses and third party lenses that support Nikon AF-D). When you get into the macro focusing range, the difference between effective and theoretical aperture can be significant enough for you to have to adjust your exposure, the modern Nikon bodies will automatically do this calcluation for you if the lens provides the distance information.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry
    It's not the lens, but the Nikon body that calculates the effective aperture if the lens has a distance chip (Nikon D and G type lenses and third party lenses that support Nikon AF-D). When you get into the macro focusing range, the difference between effective and theoretical aperture can be significant enough for you to have to adjust your exposure, the modern Nikon bodies will automatically do this calcluation for you if the lens provides the distance information.
    ya. I have encountered this aperture reading issue on Macro lens previously when I just change system from Canon 300D to Nikon D70. Was using the same Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di lens, (only with different mount model of couse) Canon 300D shows f/2.8 at minimum focus range, whereas Nikon D70 was not.

After some check and research... yes. This is perfect normal, the "problem" is how the camera body reads the effective aperture as gooseberry's reply.

Anyway, just an OT comment here... there have been such similar "buyer beware" thread started recently and so coincident with the time the "business man" case appears at CS.

Hope this situation will gone and hopefully a more pleasant community appear in coming year 2006.

Cheers!
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

Seller has called back last nite to clarify on this issue.. In addition, some Nikon users have PM me to inform this is normal with respect to to this lens. As such, I hope we can close this thread as it was a misunderstanding. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by initialE24
    Seller has called back last nite to clarify on this issue.. In addition, some Nikon users have PM me to inform this is normal with respect to to this lens. As such, I hope we can close this thread as it was a misunderstanding. Thanks,
    eh dinner tonight!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Happy Chinese New Year to all! Cheers! Someone should close this thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123